Reversed cards

For Tarot discussions and general questions.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123, TarotModerator

cedars
Tarot reader

Reversed cards

Post by cedars » Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:04 pm

I do not intentionally try and create reversed cards in my deck, or create some havoc-style shuffling in order that cards may be reversed due to a conscious effort of mine. I have always believed, however, that if there is any need for reversals, 'they' will bring it about without my conscious effort. As it happened today, I did a small reading for a friend, just to see the highlights of his day, and lo and behold, I got the Two of Cups reversed. Hmmmmmmm, I thought, I did not cause that; what could that be? I was tempted to read it upright, but I respected the way the card was delivered to me.

Later in the day, I got news from that friend which confirmed the reversed Two of Cups, which had to do something with a new friendship which was on shaky grounds due to reasons beyond their control.

My faith in the cards did not betray me: that if and when there is need for a particular message (reversed or upright) the cards will deliver them.

Just my thoughts today.. :)

Kaperuzita

Post by Kaperuzita » Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:00 pm

I use reversals too but I try to interpret them usually according to the position in the spread and the surrounding cards. I've usually seen that they represent blocked situations or how things "should" be. So, I draw another card to see what's blocking that situation.

Just my thoughts :)

Payewacker

Post by Payewacker » Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:18 pm

Hi Guys,

When I did the interpritations of my cards. I clearly defined "archetypes" for upright and reversed. Some cards reversed is actually better than the upright.

Yes, it is a lot more learning and remembering, that's why i think computers were invented, to assist poor memory. :smt003 My interpritations, is what I use, no matter which deck, but find it easier to use RW as the images and symbols are clearer.

Blessed be
Do as you want, Harm none!

cedars
Tarot reader

Post by cedars » Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:17 pm

Hi Kaperuzita and Payewacker,

Thanks for both your inputs.

Kaperuzita: Good idea to draw clarification card(s) to reveal where the 'blockage' is.

Payewacker: I agree with your comments on the RW deck due to their graphics and symbolism.

There are some schools of thought where one says ignore the reversed cards and put them upright and there are those, such as Joan Bunning, where she says reversed cards are the same as the upright meaning less the energy or a weaker energy or, as Kaperuzita said, some form of blockage.

My take on this is as follows: I would not INTENTIONALLY mix/shuffle the cards in such a way so as to 'create' reversals; that is my doing, not spirit's. As spirit puts the cards in their respective places for a reading, I also believe they can 'create' reversals where it is necessary. I suppose it is each reader in their interaction with their higher self. I believe neither way or style is wrong and in each case the seeker will get the answer to their question(s).

Kaperuzita

Post by Kaperuzita » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:13 pm

I know a lot of people who do not use reversals. I usually shuffle the deck once, but mixing the cards in circles with my hands so that I know some cards are reversed while others are not. However, in Marseilles not all cards have reversals so, this is not as important as in the RW deck.

Still, the decission to interpret the reversal as such--whether if it is a blockage or the opposite meaning--depends a lot on the question and the position of the card in the spread, at least for me.

I guess again, what deck you're working with has a lot to say on the matter.

saboinia

tarot card reversals

Post by saboinia » Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:16 am

The way that i shuffel thedeck i usually do not get reversals.  i think that the deck is ballanced and there are enough negitive cards in the deck that reversals usually are not nessessary.  but i do tend to get a lot of cards that jump out of the deck while i am shuffeling the cards.  I know that these cards are read in addition to the cards that come up in the spread.  but sometimes i am at a loss as to where these jummping cards go in the reading.

sweetsunray

Post by sweetsunray » Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:16 am

I started originally with including reversals, but after a couple of years decided to ignore reversals. Not long after I also moved to the Crowley version, which is not designed to be read reversed. It helps me to read with possibilities and opportunities in mind. But that's just my take.
Life is like a rose. The most beautiful ones have large thorns. You only need the courage to grab for them.

Return to “Tarot”