Celtic Cross spread and how to read it!!!!!!!

All Tarot Reading requests should be posted under this forum.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123, TarotModerator

Payewacker

Celtic Cross spread and how to read it!!!!!!!

Post by Payewacker » Sat May 02, 2009 3:32 pm

Hi Guys,

I'm doing this posting for your considerations.

I've virtually never deviated from the Celtic Cross spread and have been using it for a very long time.

My "tutorial" as will be published, is based on the Rider Waite and thus you need to follow the spread as Published in LWB(little white book)!

By no means do I say that this is a prescribed format, but we do sometimes find that aspiring readers are confused by the CC, when starting to do readings, and may then give readings that undermine their long term succes, as these readings may be of-centre and their "interpritation" questioned or critisised in a negative way. A very real problem then arise when the reader's confidence is undermined, and then they start to question themselves and "psychic" enlightenment, if i may use this word, which obviously is not a good thing at all.

In posting this guideline (not completely finished), I hope that everybody may find some information to help them along.

I would really appreciate if this can become a topic of discussion, as it would help to complete my book.

The road from 1 to 10 is sometimes easy or sometimes full of obstacles and blockages. When we look at the Celtic Cross spread, we need to consider what is in the past or in the future. We must also think about things that have a continuous influence, be it in the past or coming up in the future.

Let us then consider each number as it follows and the road we al travel to achieve attainment.

The Significator. This is a card the reader may want to use to ground the Querent, or understand it as a pivot; all the cards refer to a central point or person.

When we look at the Celtic Cross, we see that it comprises ten cards. From one to ten, describes a path the Querent is following. If we look at the implication of one vs. ten, one cannot exist unless it has a defined route, nor can ten exist, unless the route has been followed.
1) This is obviously a very important card as it describes and directs the reading as a whole! This card explains the current influence the Querent is experiencing. We can also consider that what this card describes is “in happening, now or that which sets the flavor”. Another factor we want to consider is that this card is the thought not come to fulfillment yet. This card is governed by the Magician and therefore, the Magician creates his Universe or controls all the different suits of the Minor Arcanum. Therefore it is placed over the Significator.
2) In this card we see dualities, a pairing between thought and motion. We can also see that although it may be a pairing, it might also signify the possible opposing forces within oneself. Therefore card two in essence signifies obstacles, even though the card itself may be positive, it would not necessarily have a positive influence, thus the division. This card can also indicate obstacles the querent is not aware of, actions and influences busy unfolding without the querent’s knowledge.
3) In this card we can assume the possible conclusion from the pairing or opposition between card one and two. This card would explain the thought, coupled to the action and the resultant thought process or path of activity.

When we therefore consider the three first cards, we look at the now and the tomorrow. Card three directly links to card six and ultimately card ten. In this card, the Tarot reader must not fall into the trap of strictly predicting an event or influence foreseen in the very near future. Card three truly predicts what happens after now, but forms part of the future, it is one stepping stone in achieving sensible advice. Thus important cards to consider as a group in giving advice would be Three, Six,  Nine and Ten

4) In card four we are looking at the past events and influences. Consider what is represented in card four. We look at foundations, boundaries, concrete facts. These are factors which cannot be changed. Here we need to consider the influence the past events had on the mind and spirit and the resultant frame of mind created by this card. We now link card four to card one, describing the current influence and contemplate card five.
5) Here we find the link in the chain from card four to card one. This card describes the continuous steps taken to achieve the current environment, as described by card one. It also denotes the current steps being taken and then links to card six.
6) Card five gives way to card six, we see the pathway becoming clearer and the start of the direction the reading is taking. We can assume that card six describes the “medium” term future.
7) Getting to card seven, this card gives us an indication as to what the querent may be thinking or contemplating. This card will give you a perception whether the querent is accepting, rejecting or just bluntly refuse to acknowledge his environment. In this sense, this is a card the reader must carefully contemplate. We must also link the Significator, current influence-card one, and past influence, card four. This card brings into focus how the querent has changed, due to his past influences, and may oppose the significator altogether. In which case we must remember that the way in which a person is changed given a certain set of circumstances, may make them either a good person or a bad person. In this card, we also see how other people regard the actions of the querent.
8) Gives us the mindset. We have people who are by nature pessimistic or optimistic. Let’s say, some will see a positive opportunity in a bad situation where others will merely look at the bad and loose hope. So, if the querent has a negative mindset, the influence on card 9 will be evident. If we then consider card three, six and nine; card eight will show us how the querent should change his/her mindset and how to willfully influence their future.
9) In representing Hopes and Fears, this card is a continuation from card eight. This card is simple to read at face value. If it is negative it would obviously describe the Querent’s fears. And the opposite would then be his/her hopes. However, the number nine describes completion! It therefore predicts that which the querent may receive. If we consider The Magician, the active participation of the querent can be seen. Every person creates his or her own “Universe” and therefore attracts, that what they consistently imagine. Whatever you visualize you materialize. Another powerful quotation, “Whatever you confess with your mouth and believe in your heart, you will surely have it”.
10) Card ten (final outcome), therefore stands for attainment as opposed to completion in card nine. We can clearly see the true impact the querent has on his or her future. This is then what is achieved by the concurrent thought processes and resulting actions. Card ten should never be considered as if cast in stone. Even the mere reading done, has already changed the quedrants attitude and mindset.

Contained within the Celtic Cross are two significant three card spreads, which also gives guidance to the reader.
1st; Past, Present, Future;
These cards consist of Card four, card one and card three; these cards are read from the bottom up. We then find fixed past influences, leading to the current and then to the very near future (maybe a few days).
2nd; Past, Present, Future;
This three card spread contains cards: Five, One and Six. In this spread we find events which started in the very near past, coming to a conclusion currently and spilling over to the near and mid-future.
We can then start looking at other three card spreads in the Celtic Cross. This is totally up to the reader to decide on these, and there are very few limiting factors.

Upright and Reversed Cards.
The way in which a reader interprets the cards, vary. There is no strict instruction to read cards upright, or upright and reversed. Reading cards in both orientations, increases the number of definitions, but adds a lot more information to a reading, otherwise not considered. Life unfortunately consist of pain and gain. If you want to have the gain, consider the pain. In reading reversed cards, it doesn’t always mean a bad situation at all. My personal point of view is that should there be a bad situation coming up, why shy away or temper this to satisfy the positive hopes of a querent. Consider that the reading should not have more than 50% reversed cards. It would be better to rather cast the cards again, than to do a reading which may be off-centre.

The final outcome.
When packing the cards, the reader must lean on their divine inspiration as well as basic common sense. Each card has a “formulated” interpretation. It is not in the interest for a reader to restrict their thoughts to the prescribed format or interpretations. The final outcome is a versatile and a debatable conclusion. Normally it would be a better ending to have this card as a Major Arcanum. Another possibility is that this card may be a Minor Arcanum Court card, in which case, the card may represent a person that will either help or oppose the querent.

Directions,
You may now frown at this expression, most cards have a distinct direction the person is facing, in the Major Arcanum most cards face the querent straight on. Therefore the cards are speaking directly to the querent about any circumstance arising or existing. It is possible to establish where the positive or negative influence is coming from, by looking at the direction the people are facing on the cards. Example: If the Five of Cups is in house six, the person faces to the left and down, looking at card four. We can assume that this was the way the querent regarded a certain influence from his past and it might spill over into his future as well.

Unclear or confused conclusions.
It sometimes happens that we don’t get a clear picture at the end or you have a querent really looking more confused than what they were when getting to you. People sometimes hide the truth, and try to fool the reader. When they realize that suddenly their secrets are no longer hidden, a confused querent?

At the best of times, your querent hasn’t really got their question properly “aligned” WHY? They don’t know Tarot! It’s such a normal phenomena that every Tarot reader must unfortunately overcome and make peace with.  When we get to confusing conclusions,
What to do?------------------------------------CHANGE THE CARD-------------------------------------------
No, the reader draws a further card and then perhaps finds enlightenment. A very important issue to remember, is that most of the time, readings are not confused. Rather start looking whether the Tarot isn’t discussing another matter, or consider whether the question might be worded wrongly. In this sense it may be advisable to rather gather the cards and start afresh.

Three Cards of advice.
While placing the cards, the reader may want to pack an extra three cards. These cards does not form an integral part of the reading, but only gives guidance and must be read upright only. Should one of these cards even in the upright position be negative, the reader must put it into context and explain that should the querent encounter such a problem, what actions is to be taken to avoid it.

When doing a reading and it’s confusing, when in one session, don’t cast cards more than three times, actually don’t cast the cards again and again even if the outcome is clear. Most, if not all questions can be answered in this one reading.

Blessed-be
Do as you want, Harm none!

cedars
Tarot reader

Post by cedars » Sat May 02, 2009 4:38 pm

Hello Payewacker!

This is a very good topic and I will be the first to admit that the Celtic Cross was not a favourite spread of mine, simply because I have seen so many different versions of it that I kind of gave up on it. I have since discovered many other spreads and never needed to go back to the Celtic Cross.  I do like the one that comes with the RW cards (the little white booklet) and even then I sometimes have difficulties with the 'logic' of the different positions or, to put it bluntly, I question whether the querent does really need to know those points? Anyhow, we'll see.

I am submitting my comments without even reading your posting in full. I just wanted to say good choice of topic.

Best wishes and come on guys and girls.. start tapping on the keyboard with your thoughts :)

amalimrock

Post by amalimrock » Sun May 03, 2009 3:23 am

The celtic cross spread is possibly one of the more interesting spreads I've seen. Your extra notes also gave me a clue why sometimes my readings can also turn out inaccurate. thanks for the info :)

ps: Does this work with rune stones as well? How ae you to place the 2nd stone on top of the first then?

cedars
Tarot reader

Post by cedars » Sun May 03, 2009 7:36 pm

Hello Payewacker

Here are my comments and some of my frustrations on the Celtic Cross and not towards your eloquent way of describing this spread.

Let us then consider each number as it follows and the road we all travel to achieve attainment.

The Significator. This is a card the reader may want to use to ground the Querent, or understand it as a pivot; all the cards refer to a central point or person.

Comment: Ok. Whenever I have done the Celtic Cross I have never selected a Significator. What are the criteria of a significator and I know you have mentioned it once before, how do you select one? It’s not a MUST, is it, to have a significator?

When we look at the Celtic Cross, we see that it comprises ten cards. From one to ten, describes a path the Querent is following. If we look at the implication of one vs. ten, one cannot exist unless it has a defined route, nor can ten exist, unless the route has been followed.

1) This is obviously a very important card as it describes and directs the reading as a whole! This card explains the current influence the Querent is experiencing. We can also consider that what this card describes is “in happening, now or that which sets the flavour”. Another factor we want to consider is that this card is the thought not come to fulfilment yet.

Comment: Need a bit of a clarification here PW. I do not get the concept of “Thought not come to fulfilment yet.’’ If this is the current state of the querent, then he/she must have experienced a thing or two in order to arrive to this current situation. If this card was the 3 of Swords, it is something that has happened and in my opinion I dont see a case of ''thought not come to fulfilment" - it is something which is in the past perfect tense.  

This card is governed by the Magician and, therefore, the Magician creates his Universe or controls all the different suits of the Minor Arcanum.

Comment: What if this card was a Major Arcana card? How does the Magician affect that? Therefore it is placed over the Significator.

2) In this card we see dualities, a pairing between thought and motion. We can also see that although it may be a pairing, it might also signify the possible opposing forces within oneself. Therefore card two in essence signifies obstacles, even though the card itself may be positive, it would not necessarily have a positive influence, thus the division.

Comment: Is this what you mean by “a pairing”: positive card, but may not necessarily have a positive bearing on the querent? In other words, if we got the Two of Cups or the Ten of Cups, OK, we say to the querent, your family bliss is not really going to be such a blissful event after all; that is the problem which you should look at etc.

This card can also indicate obstacles the querent is not aware of, actions and influences busy unfolding without the querent’s knowledge.

Comment: For a tarot reader, one of the dilemmas to handle I have found is seeing positive cards under ‘obstacles’, ‘blockages’ or even ‘negative influences’. I do not wish to digress here from the topic of the Celtic Cross though, but position 2 is in essence that one, isn’t it?

3) In this card we can assume the possible conclusion from the pairing or opposition between card one and two. This card would explain the thought, coupled to the action and the resultant thought process or path of activity.

When we therefore consider the three first cards, we look at the now and the tomorrow. Card three directly links to card six and ultimately card ten. In this card, the Tarot reader must not fall into the trap of strictly predicting an event or influence foreseen in the very near future. Card three truly predicts what happens after now, but forms part of the future, it is one stepping stone in achieving sensible advice. Comment: Agreed and it makes sense too.
Thus important cards to consider as a group in giving advice would be Three, Six, Nine and Ten

4) In card four we are looking at the past events and influences. Consider what is represented in card four. We look at foundations, boundaries, concrete facts. These are factors which cannot be changed. Here we need to consider the influence the past events had on the mind and spirit and the resultant frame of mind created by this card. We now link card four to card one, describing the current influence and contemplate card five.

Comment: Isn’t this almost the same as position One where fact is fact and we cannot change what is Here and Now; what has happened and brought the seeker to this current state? What if this position was a positive card say an Ace for instance; Ace of Pentacles? Are you saying then that the new beginnings in the areas of work and finances, may have contributed adversely to the querent’s current state? In that case, Aces are NEW beginnings, which may not necessarily have come into fruition into the querent’s life yet; they may even be in their infancy and the querent may not even be aware of these new beginnings.

5) Here we find the link in the chain from card four to card one. This card describes the continuous steps taken to achieve the current environment, as described by card one. It also denotes the current steps being taken and then links to card six.

Comment: In other words, two Past cards (4 and 5) plus a present (card 1) make a Future – card 6?

6) Card five gives way to card six, we see the pathway becoming clearer and the start of the direction the reading is taking. We can assume that card six describes the “medium” term future.

Comment: In other words, another form of card 3 – immediate future?

This is one of the reasons why I have always been ‘frustrated’ with the Celtic Cross – all these repetitive positions for the same or similar messages.
Let’s move on.

7) Getting to card seven, this card gives us an indication as to what the querent may be thinking or contemplating. This card will give you a perception whether the querent is accepting, rejecting or just bluntly refuse to acknowledge his environment. In this sense, this is a card the reader must carefully contemplate. We must also link the Significator, current influence-card one, and past influence, card four. This card brings into focus how the querent has changed, due to his past influences, and may oppose the significator altogether.

Comment: Am lost here where the significator is concerned. In which case we must remember that the way in which a person is changed given a certain set of circumstances, may make them either a good person or a bad person. In this card, we also see how other people regard the actions of the querent.

Comment: Is the opinion of other people of any consequence or importance to the querent? Doesn’t he have enough issues to worry about? This is another aspect of the Celtic Cross I find strange. Why is the link to position seven governed by cards one and four? What about card 5?

8) Gives us the mindset. We have people who are by nature pessimistic or optimistic. Let’s say, some will see a positive opportunity in a bad situation where others will merely look at the bad and lose hope. So, if the querent has a negative mindset, the influence on card 9 will be evident. If we then consider card three, six and nine; card eight will show us how the querent should change his/her mindset and how to wilfully influence their future.

Comment: OK. Makes sense.

9) In representing Hopes and Fears, this card is a continuation from card eight. This card is simple to read at face value. If it is negative it would obviously describe the Querent’s fears. And the opposite would then be his/her hopes. However, the number nine describes completion! It therefore predicts that which the querent may receive. If we consider The Magician, the active participation of the querent can be seen. Every person creates his or her own “Universe” and therefore attracts, that what they consistently imagine. Whatever you visualize you materialize. Another powerful quotation, “Whatever you confess with your mouth and believe in your heart, you will surely have it”.

Comment: OK. I see card 8 and 9 to be quite similar but under a different heading.  My mindset whether positive or negative (8). And my hopes and fears, whether positive or negative (9). Don’t these say the same things?

Thank you very much for raising this topic and I hope soon I may be able to make my 'peace' with the Celtic Cross :)

Blessings to you.

Payewacker

Post by Payewacker » Mon May 04, 2009 7:26 am

Hi amalimrock

I have Viking Runes and book published by JH Blum.

Although i haven't really studied Runes as the Tarot, i think it would depend on the published way of packing. However, should you use the Runes in a Tarot CC, i'm sure you would get the same answers, as you percieve the way in which you pack the Runes.

I Blum's book, we find a spread similar to the CC. Will get it out and post here.

Hi Cedars,

Yhanks for your reply. the topics you dicussed are extensive and i want to sit down, go through each,,,slowly and will post my response.

Blessed be

Payewacker

Post by Payewacker » Thu May 07, 2009 4:57 pm

Hi Cedars,
It is not a must to select a significator at all. This is pretty much up to the reader. Selecting a significator is normally done using the Court cards.
Ages: 16-22; Pages
Ages: 23-35; Knights
Ages; 36-50; King for men, Queen for woman
Ages; 50 and above; Emperor for men, Empress for woman. Using divinatory meaning only.

The four cards should now be shuffled--placed in a row, the Querent is now allowed to, with their intuition, gliding their hands over these cards, choose a specific card. This card must now be turned face up and the Querent should be represented or characteristics are revealed.

If here, you don’t use a significator, card one will give you some indication as the characteristics or circumstances surrounding your querent.

Card 2
Comment: Is this what you mean by “a pairing”: positive card, but may not necessarily have a positive bearing on the querent? In other words, if we got the Two of Cups or the Ten of Cups, OK, we say to the querent, your family bliss is not really going to be such a blissful event after all; that is the problem which you should look at etc.

Yes pretty much so, we can also consider that with Ten of Cups. The querent may be warned, even if his family life seems complete, they should not fall into complacency, but look for cracks and keep giving his family life, support. Therefore card two does explain obstacles and blockages.

Card 4
In card four we are looking at the past events and influences. Consider what is represented in card four. We look at foundations, boundaries, concrete facts. These are factors which cannot be changed. Here we need to consider the influence the past events had on the mind and spirit and the resultant frame of mind created by this card. We now link card four to card one, describing the current influence and contemplate card five.

Comment: Isn’t this almost the same as position One where fact is fact and we cannot change what is Here and Now; what has happened and brought the seeker to this current state? What if this position was a positive card say an Ace for instance; Ace of Pentacles? Are you saying then that the new beginnings in the areas of work and finances, may have contributed adversely to the querent’s current state? In that case, Aces are NEW beginnings, which may not necessarily have come into fruition into the querent’s life yet; they may even be in their infancy and the querent may not even be aware of these new beginnings.

Yes, card four describes a past event that has been a contributing factor to the current environment and is not necessarily the only influence to achieve the current situation.

Card 5
Here we find the link in the chain from card four to card one. This card describes the continuous steps taken to achieve the current environment, as described by card one. It also denotes the current steps being taken and then links to card six.

Comment: In other words, two Past cards (4 and 5) plus a present (card 1) make a Future – card 6?

Yes you can derive at a conclusion using card four(far to medium past). Card five would be more recent and into now.

Card 6
Card five gives way to card six, we see the pathway becoming clearer and the start of the direction the reading is taking. We can assume that card six describes the “medium” term future.

Comment: In other words, another form of card 3 – immediate future?

This card does explain the future but a bit further. Between card 5 and 6, we can attach a timeperiod. The past occurance as described by card five can be estimated or determined. Then counting forward, we may find the occurance card six describes.

Card 7
Getting to card seven, this card gives us an indication as to what the querent may be thinking or contemplating. This card will give you a perception whether the querent is accepting, rejecting or just bluntly refuse to acknowledge his environment. In this sense, this is a card the reader must carefully contemplate. We must also link the Significator, current influence-card one, and past influence, card four. This card brings into focus how the querent has changed, due to his past influences, and may oppose the significator altogether.

Comment: Am lost here where the significator is concerned. In which case we must remember that the way in which a person is changed given a certain set of circumstances, may make them either a good person or a bad person. In this card, we also see how other people regard the actions of the querent.

Comment: Is the opinion of other people of any consequence or importance to the querent? Doesn’t he have enough issues to worry about? This is another aspect of the Celtic Cross I find strange. Why is the link to position seven governed by cards one and four? What about card 5?

Sometimes the opinion of other people bear a lot of wisdom, and may change the querant’s actions, when he has been sensitised to his mindset.

Card 9
In representing Hopes and Fears, this card is a continuation from card eight. This card is simple to read at face value. If it is negative it would obviously describe the Querent’s fears. And the opposite would then be his/her hopes. However, the number nine describes completion! It therefore predicts that which the querent may receive. If we consider The Magician, the active participation of the querent can be seen. Every person creates his or her own “Universe” and therefore attracts, that what they consistently imagine. Whatever you visualize you materialize. Another powerful quotation, “Whatever you confess with your mouth and believe in your heart, you will surely have it”.

Comment: OK. I see card 8 and 9 to be quite similar but under a different heading.  My mindset whether positive or negative (8). And my hopes and fears, whether positive or negative (9). Don’t these say the same things?

Card eight would describe more the influence or environment around the querent, and how he changed it, not neccesarily himself. Card 9, is “what am I scared of, or what is what I want”

Card 9
In representing Hopes and Fears, this card is a continuation from card eight. This card is simple to read at face value. If it is negative it would obviously describe the Querent’s fears. And the opposite would then be his/her hopes. However, the number nine describes completion! It therefore predicts that which the querent may receive. If we consider The Magician, the active participation of the querent can be seen. Every person creates his or her own “Universe” and therefore attracts, that what they consistently imagine. Whatever you visualize you materialize. Another powerful quotation, “Whatever you confess with your mouth and believe in your heart, you will surely have it”.

Card eight would describe more the influence or environment around the querent, and how he changed it, not neccesarily himself. Card 9, is “what am I scared of, or what is what I want”

Thank-you very much for your reply and the questions you raised. Sometimes it is very important to have a analyst go through your work, to make it more understandable to everybody. We have a host of potential readers and hopefully they may benefit from our subjects!

Blessed be.

cedars
Tarot reader

Post by cedars » Thu May 07, 2009 5:22 pm

Dear Payewacker,

Thank you VERY much for your feedback on the Celtic Cross. I have read it once and will read it again to get a better understanding of this spread. Hey, I might even use it one one day to give readings  :smt002  :smt002 .

The beauty about the tarot cards I find, as I go on in my journey, is its mystery and interpretations based on intuition and, moreover, its interpreation based on a given situation which can be SO different that it never ceases to amaze me, the reader, when I see a card with a totally different insight (meaning) to what I had originally learnt of its textbook meaing.

Best wishes to you and may your efforts be blessed with success.

Cedars

Return to “Tarot Reading Forum”