What is Astrology?

For vedic astrology discussions and general questions.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123, RishiRahul

Vishwas
Site Admin

What is Astrology?

Post by Vishwas » Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:05 pm

I have always been intrigued by the exact definition of Astrology.

I have read many books & each person gives out their own meaning. But was interested in finding out a simple meaning, which only explains what the subject is about, & only that, don't want history or functions of the subject. Just as to what it is.

A small example is the definition of Physics.

"Physics is the science that deals with the general analysis of nature. It is an experimental science & its purpose is to understand how the world around us behaves".

Atleast this is my simple definition of it.

Now I am looking for a simple definition for Astrology, & hope others can help me out with it.

One definition I have is:

"Astrology is an art of divine knowledge, which deals with the study of cosmic celestial objects & events and their vibrations & effects on the behaviour of people, nature & events on Earth. Especially correlations which cannot be explained by gravitation, magnetism, or other forces, that which are well-established in Medicine, Physics, and or other sciences."

BUT would love to know what others think. Please don't refer any books or articles or websites & quote me stuff written by others, experts or otherwise. I would like to know what it means for you.

RishiRahul
Astrology Reader

Post by RishiRahul » Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:46 pm

Astro means "The combining form of the Greek word 'a`stron, meaning star". The rest is/means sudy.

Combine them to find the simple meaning..unless you want to complicate.

RishiRahul
RishiRahul.com
Astro-Palmist & Numerologist
Accurate timings & solutions to specific questions

Rohiniranjan

Re: What is Astrology?

Post by Rohiniranjan » Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:12 am

[quote="Vishwas"]I have always been intrigued by the exact definition of Astrology.

I have read many books & each person gives out their own meaning. But was interested in finding out a simple meaning, which only explains what the subject is about, & only that, don't want history or functions of the subject. Just as to what it is.

A small example is the definition of Physics.

"Physics is the science that deals with the general analysis of nature. It is an experimental science & its purpose is to understand how the world around us behaves".

Atleast this is my simple definition of it.

Now I am looking for a simple definition for Astrology, & hope others can help me out with it.

One definition I have is:

"Astrology is an art of divine knowledge, which deals with the study of cosmic celestial objects & events and their vibrations & effects on the behaviour of people, nature & events on Earth. Especially correlations which cannot be explained by gravitation, magnetism, or other forces, that which are well-established in Medicine, Physics, and or other sciences."

BUT would love to know what others think. Please don't refer any books or articles or websites & quote me stuff written by others, experts or otherwise. I would like to know what it means for you.[/quote]

Dear Vishwas,

<ALERT: MY answer will be longer than Moderator's and perhaps even get autobiographical!>

I was born way before there was internet, Google or HEAVENS FORBID -- WIKIPEDIA (upper case for emphasis, not shouting!! &nbsp;:smt009

When I was attracted to this divinatory zone, astrology was not too far away from palmistry or dream interpretation or zone or zen or dice or i-ching etc. &nbsp;IT was all captured in one neat term: Occultism. That which is customarily hidden but not inavailable!

Then came the 60s and 70s and occult began to attract some really interesting refrains which you may secretly be curious about but would not invite to meet your parents!

Even today, the label OCCULTISM and OCCULT ARTS remains appropriate! Even though we have quite a few modern individuals and engineers and a few doctors too that have shown up here or elsewhere and so on, how many of these would honestly be able to announce at their coffee break in their modern reality tomorrow morning at coffee time that they were astrology buffs or other occult crafts?

We praise those who can do that --

For the remaining (maybe some moderator or the owner knows how many) -- what is the point of slicing and dicing a word which was convenient but does not describe what the practice is today anyway?

Astrology (generally tropical astrology) does not use fixed stars, only planets and asteroids. Does not use starry zodiac but the seasonal terrestrial cycle.

Jyotish, the indian form of astrology uses not just lights but also the unlighted ones, the lunar nodes and uses them vigorously, as also mandi etc.

It may sound naive but it is like defining what a bank or economics is? Will that solve financial problems and make on rich?

Once I worked during my volunteer days when my children were young in their daycare. They were playing with all kinds of stuff and sandbox and swings and all kinds of cool stuff that my mind automatically was labelling: Swing, slide, jumping trampoline, reading area, food area, nap area ...

Then after a couple of hours of being with these bundles of sheer energy, I suddenly tuned into the REALITY. They were all having FUN and learning at the same time. Some of them even did not know the NAMES or DESCRIPTIONS of the games and activities they were engaged in!

No one learns more efficiently than a human toddler -- trust me! They know something that most of us adults do not when it comes to learning!!

Love, Light and Levity...

Prem, Prakash and Prashanti ...
Rohiniranjan
========
JYO-LOGUE

Rohiniranjan

Post by Rohiniranjan » Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:26 am

[quote="RishiRahul"]Astro means "The combining form of the Greek word 'a`stron, meaning star". The rest is/means sudy.

RishiRahul[/quote]

Rishi/Moderator/Whatever hat you are wearing at this moment!

As an astrologer first and all those (virtual) hats aside, are you telling us all that the study of stars is all that astrology entails?

That does not make sense, at all!

Please Explain!

Prem, Prakash, Prashanti
Rohiniranjan
========
JYO-LOGUE

RishiRahul
Astrology Reader

Post by RishiRahul » Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:23 am

To Prem, Prakash,Prashanti,

I just gave the literal and simple dictionary meaning of astrology, which was desired by Vishwas; even if it does not make sense. Sometimes I too can try to provoke reactions for better understanding... to make them understand that the simplest, literal dictionary meaning of astrology may/will never give the true picture !

RishiRahul
Last edited by RishiRahul on Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rhutobello

Post by Rhutobello » Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:12 am

rohiniranjan wrote:
RishiRahul wrote:Astro means "The combining form of the Greek word 'a`stron, meaning star". The rest is/means sudy.

RishiRahul
Rishi/Moderator/Whatever hat you are wearing at this moment!

That does not make sense, at all!

Please Explain!
What is Astrology?

What is the most simple way to explain it?

To define the meaning of the word, and out from that define the meaning of what you comprehend of it. What You the Reader put into it.

Just like you, who have strong meaning about what Astrology are, and express them, so will also 1000's of other Astrologer, and this is also said by Vishwas himself with:

I have read many books & each person gives out their own meaning. But was interested in finding out a simple meaning, which only explains what the subject is about, & only that, don't want history or functions of the subject

So I think RishRahul gave the best advice to the question :)

Rohiniranjan

Post by Rohiniranjan » Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:50 pm

[quote="RishiRahul"]To Prem, Prakash,Prashanti,

I just gave the literal and simple dictionary meaning of astrology, which was desired by Vishwas; even if it does not make sense. Sometimes I too can try to provoke reactions for better understanding... to make them understand that the simplest, literal dictionary meaning of astrology may/will never give the true picture !

RishiRahul[/quote]

Haha! Sorry to have inadvertantly confused you Rishi ji. The posting was not from Prem, Prakash and Prashanti, three individuals but were just sanskrit/hindi translations of Love, Light and Levity, my sign off greeting :-)

If I cannot have my sidereal sunsign, at least I can be allowed my sanskrit sign-off I hope!

No one was critiquing your choice of definition etc. Don't misunderstand my attention -- kindly!

Love, Light, Levity ...
Rohiniranjan
========
JYO-LOGUE

Rohiniranjan

Post by Rohiniranjan » Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:25 am

[quote="Rhutobello"]...
What is Astrology?

What is the most simple way to explain it?

To define the meaning of the word, and out from that define the meaning of what you comprehend of it. What You the Reader put into it.

Just like you, who have strong meaning about what Astrology are, and express them, so will also 1000's of other Astrologer, and this is also said by Vishwas himself with:

[b]I have read many books & each person gives out their own meaning. But was interested in finding out a simple meaning, which only explains what the subject is about, & only that, don't want history or functions of the subject[/b]

So I think RishRahul gave the best advice to the question :)[/quote]

Dear Rhutobello,

Obviously your did not read what I wrote, generally and specifically to Rishi Rahul.

Sometimes a literal translation does not capture the meaning and give the answer that was sought by the original poster.

I will try to reiterate simply why Astrology is not a "knowing" or knowledge or science or even craft that deals with 'stars": that Astrologos would imply! In my earlier posting on this thread! Western astrologers do not use the stars or the star-based zodiac, so the Astro part of astrology does not apply to them. What good is a definition that does not even include reality as practiced? And Indian astrologers who use the starry-zodiac call theirs Jyotish Shastra, the Science of Light or Illumination! And they do not use sun as prominently as western astrologers do! And even use shadow planets like lunar nodes and upapadas many derived from the sun! So rather than repeating a meaningless Wikipedia definition a new framework and mindset must be created! What is so challenging, irrelevant or threatening in that for anyone here who is not the creator of astrology and does not carry the cross on his or her bent shoulders? Bent with responsibility?? &nbsp;:smt007

In this respect, ancient hindus turned out to be cleverer because they called the divinatory craft JYOTISH (Yes yes I know the query was posted in the vedic astrology forum! Vedic astrology is as big a misnomer as Astrology is too for what this section discusses anyway!)

I am not trying to start a fight but this recent trepidity that I see on this wonderful site of learning to walk on eggshells is disturbing! Okay so some would use heated words or would attack others and create a very short-lasting chaos perhaps! At least people here, even perpetrators are not using the abusive language as I have seen on some other Jyotish lists!

What I hear here, and many of these are attacks and expressions of frustrations against me personally by a few individuals -- I am not complaining!

I think what is happening over the last several months on internet, at least in the Jyotish reality is a birthing process. Questions are being asked, the normal decorum and poliety and politics is being dropped and this is all really wonderful and HEALTHY (Emphasis -- not shouting! ;-)

Bland answers and assuming that people participating are delicate beginners is extremely patronizing and a myth! Nearly all participants here are rather mature, proficient with words and many are pretty successful in what they do. I speak not from guesses and estimates but what I gleam from their sharings, publicly and privately!

This is a wonderful medium where despite some disturbances and trouble-making we (collectively) must begin to consider the following:

Not overreact as posters or moderators!
Not assume or be biased into thinking that anyone who asks a disturbing question is doing so merely to make trouble!
I realize that moderators have their own life to deal with and what they put out here is really a gift to all, but they should not react too briskly or bruskly!
I am afraid that has been going on a bit too often and too hastily lately!
I know transits are difficult for individuals and collectively but as wise astrologers who know some of it, we should be able to hold back and not overreact or react too quickly!

I am sure my words will not sit well or kindly with some individuals because from their general TONE it is obviously that they do not trust me or my motives. But please consider the simple fact that I am at a stage where I am not really affected by these little games of Maya. How else would I sustain cheerfully these tiny bee-stings and bites that are tossed my way, from time to time by sundry?

Have faith in the strength of the mission here. I believe it is about exploring freely without too much restrictions and moderation and trying to create an illusion of harmony and a state of bliss and questionlessness!

We all live in the same world out there and there is little harmony or certainty or beatific peace out there despite what cultists and gurus and their chelas and acolytes would want us to believe! The distrust and their failed beatific mission out there in the world is a matter of record in those who live in a real world! Many of these come here to share and to ask questions and so on ...

That must be promoted and nurtured and not squashed by a trigger-happy saturnine approach with too many restrictions and inability to judge where action is really necessary and where it gets in the way of a sincere discussion and exploration!

Love, Light and Levity ...

Vishwas
Site Admin

Post by Vishwas » Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:31 pm

First of all: MY APOLOGIES to anyone to whom this question has directly or indirectly created a problem, that wasn't what &nbsp;I intended.

My intention clearly was to find the truth, (how ever corny that might sound, that is the true intention).

Secondly: MY APOLOGIES to RishiRahul sir, because he said:
RishiRahul wrote:To Prem, Prakash,Prashanti,

RishiRahul
& as everyone might have understood by now, I am not looking for a "literal and simple dictionary meaning". I have over 150 books & ebooks on astrology, & I haven't read them all, but what I have read has never been enough, there is always something missing, or something wrong in those books. I know that "the implest, literal dictionary meaning of astrology will NEVER give the true picture".

I have taken up a challenge to find the truth, at any cost, & present it in front of the whole world to see. & As idiotic or impossible, or even a fool's errand it may seem, I know I WILL DO IT. (& it isn't just about Astrology, it is about a lot of subjects, Astrology is just one part of it).

Thirdly, to rohiniranjan sir, Thank you for the reply's, they have helped me more than you can imagine.

Fourthly, I had asked an admin to make this as "A global announcment", but unfortunately they haven't yet. If they had, (as I had wished), we can have the view point of a lot of different people here. There are my many people out there who know the truth, but are keeping quite, WHY? because no one asked them. I am asking here, hope to get some answers soon. Anything & everything posted here is helpful, even brickbats on me, they will just help me word my posts better & make me more determined.

Hope to get more views & sooner. (& yeah I have done similar post (on different topic) earlier & got very good response, hope I can get it from this one too).

Rohiniranjan

Post by Rohiniranjan » Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:27 am

I like your spirit, Vishwas and your confidence!

My salutes to your mars energized by a significant mercury ...

[quote="Vishwas"]First of all: MY APOLOGIES to anyone to whom this question has directly or indirectly created a problem, that wasn't what  I intended.

My intention clearly was to find the truth, (how ever corny that might sound, that is the true intention).

Secondly: MY APOLOGIES to RishiRahul sir, because he said:

[quote="RishiRahul"]To Prem, Prakash,Prashanti,

RishiRahul[/quote]

& as everyone might have understood by now, I am not looking for a "literal and simple dictionary meaning". I have over 150 books & ebooks on astrology, & I haven't read them all, but what I have read has never been enough, there is always something missing, or something wrong in those books. I know that "the implest, literal dictionary meaning of astrology will NEVER give the true picture".

I have taken up a challenge to find the truth, at any cost, & present it in front of the whole world to see. & As idiotic or impossible, or even a fool's errand it may seem, I know I WILL DO IT. (& it isn't just about Astrology, it is about a lot of subjects, Astrology is just one part of it).

Thirdly, to rohiniranjan sir, Thank you for the reply's, they have helped me more than you can imagine.

Fourthly, I had asked an admin to make this as "A global announcment", but unfortunately they haven't yet. If they had, (as I had wished), we can have the view point of a lot of different people here. There are my many people out there who know the truth, but are keeping quite, WHY? because no one asked them. I am asking here, hope to get some answers soon. Anything & everything posted here is helpful, even brickbats on me, they will just help me word my posts better & make me more determined.

Hope to get more views & sooner. (& yeah I have done similar post (on different topic) earlier & got very good response, hope I can get it from this one too).[/quote]

tourbi

Post by tourbi » Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:06 am

ok, I worked for an astrologer in a New Age Book Store in the United States. &nbsp;So....for me, there is a Western view. I'm learning a lot in these discussions.
For me Astrology is information given at the times a chart is made, birth, solar return, looking for a good time to have an operation, etc. The information gives incites into who I am, what my potential is, where I may go, the pitfalls, the help, the karma, the things to look forward to.
I was taught by Coreen, the woman for whom I worked, that the information was to give me the best idea of where I am and where I could go and how to transcend the chart. &nbsp;She admonished me to not use it as a map, but information. &nbsp;She wanted me to empower myself and not give all my power away to the reading or the chart. &nbsp;
I kept that in mind and still do. &nbsp;
I look at the energies of the planets, how they are working, learn what I need, figure out what I need to watch for, what will work for me and my loved ones, then use the energies to empower my life and the lives of those around me.
If there is a "negative" indication, I look at it like I do when I'm driving down the road and there is a detour. &nbsp;I'm being taken care of in some way. &nbsp;I have been shown where the negative may be and I have the opportunity to move past it, use it for me, or shift it before I encounter that negativity.
I think it is a powerful tool. &nbsp;I also think it is critical to use it and not be used by it.
I respect Astrologers and astrology.
Stand in Love,Walk in Love, Live in Love &#2396;&#2366;&#2352;&#2366;
Nora Roberts
Love and magic have a great deal in common. They enrich the soul, delight the heart. And they both take practice.

tourbi

Post by tourbi » Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:10 am

Yes, I do believe it is information /of Divine sources.
Stand in Love,Walk in Love, Live in Love &#2396;&#2366;&#2352;&#2366;
Nora Roberts
Love and magic have a great deal in common. They enrich the soul, delight the heart. And they both take practice.

RishiRahul
Astrology Reader

T RohiniRanjanji

Post by RishiRahul » Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:55 am

rohiniranjan wrote:
RishiRahul wrote:To Prem, Prakash,Prashanti,

RishiRahul
Haha! Sorry to have inadvertantly confused you Rishi ji. The posting was not from Prem, Prakash and Prashanti, three individuals but were just sanskrit/hindi translations of Love, Light and Levity, my sign off greeting :-)

If I cannot have my sidereal sunsign, at least I can be allowed my sanskrit sign-off I hope!

No one was critiquing your choice of definition etc. Don't misunderstand my attention -- kindly!

Love, Light, Levity ...

Hey Dada,

You did not confuse me at all!

I am glad that I could spark reactions, and some over reactions with a little bit of writing; especially yours in so many words.

RishiRahul
RishiRahul.com

Rohiniranjan

Re: T RohiniRanjanji

Post by Rohiniranjan » Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:21 pm

[quote="RishiRahul"]...I am glad that I could spark reactions, and some over reactions ...
RishiRahul[/quote]

Well you did address to Prem, Prakash and Prshanti! That was the 'confusion' I was referring to!

RishiRahul ji -- So you were merely trying to be provocative! And not meaningful :-)

Love, Light, Levity ...
Rohiniranjan
========
JYO-LOGUE

RishiRahul
Astrology Reader

Re: T RohiniRanjanji

Post by RishiRahul » Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:38 pm

rohiniranjan wrote:
RishiRahul wrote:...I am glad that I could spark reactions, and some over reactions ...
RishiRahul
Well you did address to Prem, Prakash and Prshanti! That was the 'confusion' I was referring to!

RishiRahul ji -- So you were merely trying to be provocative! And not meaningful :-)

Love, Light, Levity ...

Hey Dada,

Did I ever say I did not refer to ppp? or the other hats it/they wear? Wonder if I did mention if I was trying to be provocative only!

Meaningful? Different Arudhas find meanings as they would want/like it.

Really! Dada,

RisiRahul
RishiRahul.com

Return to “Vedic Astrology”