Practice Readings - The Pyramid Spread (4)

Please note readings given here will be done by tarot students of varying levels with the purpose of improving their skills and knowledge. These practice readings will draw feedback on the style, the card interpretations and overall content.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123, TarotModerator

Gem

Practice Readings - The Pyramid Spread (4)

Post by Gem » Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:51 pm

Sooo... we all need CONFIDENCE!!

And one of the easiest ways of increasing our confidence when giving readings is by practiscing. Doin lots of readings, every day, whenever we can, on friends, family and class mates.

Sooooo....

Here will be our own little confidence boost session.

First we will learn a new layout, then we will all read for each other and get a reading too. Those of you with cameras, see if you can take a pic of your spread for us all to see and share :)

So onto one of my fave layouts......

The Pyramid Spread

This spread is very easy and looks very pretty. It is a good way of finding the base and cause of a situation, as well as what will help the querent to get out of the situation and improvce it, or a simple past, present future.

Go through your normal pre-reading rituals and then decide on the wording of the question and the area that you want to look at. This is important to do before you lay the cards, so the correct ones fall in the right position.

Cards 1, 2, 3, Recent Past
1, The Querent
2, Help
3, Hinder

Cards 4,5,6, Present
4, The Querent
5, Help
6, Hinder

7 & 8 The near future
7, Advice
8, Outcome

Card 7 brings together cards 2 and 5, (and sits on their base) the past and present features or people that have helped and things that the querent needs to know and to build on to get a successful outcome.

With all readings this one is open to having more cards added at the top to get a clearer picture of the outcome. Never leave a reading on a cliffhanger or bad outcome, always try and offer more support and positive guidance.

Above card 8 we can actually split the reading into two routes a yes and no if wanted and go from there on the outcome.

The Pyramid spread can be a bit of a gblorified 3 card past present future, but it gives us more answers, we have more to work on and background and the querent doesn't or shouldn't feel short changed by only have a couple of cards used.

Lets see how you all get on with this reading for me. Then you can all post a question for others to have a go at and lets see if we can improve our confidence and reading quality :)

Hi,

My name is Gem, and I would like a general reading please about the next few months as I am having to make some tough decisions about work.
Last edited by Gem on Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chrisdee

Post by chrisdee » Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:02 pm

Initially this was a three month spread but nine ten and eleven where added as a four month outcome using the Druid Craft Tarot
Well heres your reading Gem :smt083
past
1.Turning away- may be problems and work have had to much pressure on you
2.You have had to be patient but been unable to make a decision
3.this may be because you have been considering someone else
4.At the moment you are keeping on top of things
5.But you still have a decision to make
6.The decision is hard and needs a lot of thought
7.My advice would be to stop looking back and look to the future
8.At first you will be dismayed/disillusioned and wonder why you made the choice you did
4 months
9.But with shared responsibilities and a bit of give and take 10.you can plan for 11. A great success :smt023
I'm sorry the picture turned out so large but bot sure how to make it smaller
Attachments
DSC00018.JPG
DSC00018.JPG (580.89 KiB) Viewed 16645 times

Gem

Post by Gem » Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:46 pm

I think you enjoyed that Chris :)  Thanks very much for the reading, and the picture. I love the cloth too, so magical. It is always nice to see the layout and how it is done.

I can see where you are getting the meanings and interpretations from, and they seem to be spot on. And I like the way you used your intuition to pull extra cards. The only worry I have is that I know that it might be hard to read for me, but I would like to think that if you were reading for another that it would be slightly longer and more detailed? I am sure it would :)
Its very hard to structure a reading. I find that for some I can write pages and others a one line. Don't forget to look at the whole picture too. For instance in the cards 1, 2, 3, I see cups and Hanged man and then King cups, so cups could mean that the emphasis was on love or emotions in the past and love won? Present we have wands wands swords, so 2 fires and an air, battling for recognition? a fire smouldering?

Now... where's your question so that we all get to practice?

chrisdee

Post by chrisdee » Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:19 am

I have noted your comments and i knew as i was doing the reading that i wasn't putting enough detail in when putting it on the computer but i got scared when ive done readings at home after i have done the reading or during the reading usual the querent will ask questions and i answer them in detail also if there feelings are strong emotional/nervous ect. i can pick that up to which is also an indication as to what they want from the reading  so readings are longer but i lack the confidence in saying anything that isn't blatantly obvious in the cards to anybody i don't know as you can tell from the reading you got. i know this is something that ive got to get over but having confidence in my self is not ease .may be it will get easier the more readings i do
I very much appreciate your comments thank you for been honest

Gem

Post by Gem » Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:12 pm

I can understand completely, it is very different to writing everything down to reading in person. In person we have body language and the eyes to look into and of course a very clear connection and lots of hints from the querent over the area they want to hear about and what they want to know. I also realise that typing out a good reading is hard, it takes time, and energy and can be very mind boggoling and confidence shaking.  In person we can waffle and make jokes, or move our chair, wipe our glasses, or get a drink whilst we think and feel and word our replies. Do you see what I am getting at? Online in a forum or email type reading we have no such luxury,  it is whatever we type that is taken as gospel and there are no time wasting distractions. Lol, I can go and get a drink, cook a meal, and come back to a reading, then I can answer the telephone, or turn on the tv, whatever I do, the cards will still be there to come back to. So, what I try and do, apart from the normal ritual stuff, and you have that beautiful lay cloth to use :) as a strong ritual base :)  allow yourself plenty of time, no distractions. A reading can take me anything from about 15 minutes to a couple of hours. Putting it into words is sometimes quite hard. Other times I zone in and type non stop and don't even read it back or stop to think until I have finished. Quite often I am surprised by what I have written. Where does it come from lol? But I will say that usually first time typing something is correct, even if it sounds way off. Its not up to us to doctor the meaning of the cards. We can word things gently, with tact and love and care so as not to cause any fear or distress etc of course. If a card is giving a meaning that seems out of place pull some more to clarify it.

Now, I still think you did great :) What we are trying to do here is to build confidence. I won't yell at you or laugh, or call you names, I will try and push you into a more confident role as a brilliant and talented reader.  I think that the best way to do that is by being honest and I hope you agree?

chrisdee

Post by chrisdee » Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:34 pm

I do agree with every thing you have written and will i wright what i pick up thinking carefully on wording and the spread as a whole when finished .i know its the only way to learn -Thank you for your input on this Gem

Chooky

Post by Chooky » Sun Jul 01, 2007 2:05 am

Hi Gem

Gem, even though you asked about a work situation, I got a lot about a relationship, which is possibly holding you back...

This is what I got for you...here goes

1.  3 Wands
2.  9 Swords
3.  The Hanged Man

You have great opportunties ahead of you, and you do not rush into your decision making in regards to any decision you make.  You always weigh up how it all will impact on others, rather than yourself first.  You like to have all the information before you, before you make any decision as you like to be prepared. I feel that you need to stop worrying about others and focus more on yourself and what it is that you would like.  You need to refocus your energies and put your needs first, as you have a tendency to do things to please others.  You need to see things from a different perspective and perhaps take the advice that you give to others and apply it to yourself, as you tend to neglect your own needs.

4.  Judgement
5.  The High Priestess
6.  The Lovers

You have come to realise how to deal with your situations better, so that you can find a balance to suit everyone, including yourself (as you tend to focus less on yourself).  You are now realising that it is time to focus on you, and not so much on what others think you should do.  You need to use your intuition in your situation and any situation that requires a decision, as you do know which is the best decision to make, and you are probably letting others have too much input on things to do with you.  By the way, your relationships will not suffer for this new change in attitude, in fact they will improve as you will be making the best decision, you will be happier and less stressed.

7.  6 Swords
8.  Page of cups

You are going to be moving ahead with your new found confidence, your relationships will improve and there will be less emotion involved, your lines of communication will be more open and this means that everyone will be happier as you can do things without feeling the guilt that you have had in the past.  You can work together as a team, and still achieve your own personal goals.  

In summing up Gem, you need to do the  thing that YOU really want to do, life is too short, to not. Keep the lines of communication open and start to focus on your own needs, everyone involved in the long term will be much happier.

Chooky

Chooky

Post by Chooky » Sun Jul 01, 2007 2:22 am

Hi my name is Chooky (Tara) and I would like a general reading about the next 6 months

Gem

Post by Gem » Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:59 pm

Oooh lots to think about there, thanks Chooky. One comment, it will make it easier for you if you also give the positions or place names of the cards  and the layout name too. Its useful for future reference and to give a tidier picture. :)

So who is next, Who wants to read for Chooky or me or Chris?  Chris did we get a question from you?

Chooky

Post by Chooky » Sun Jul 01, 2007 1:38 pm

Hi Gem

Do you mean, rather than give a summary, state what each card means in their position?

Chooky

Post by Chooky » Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:59 am

G'day Chrisdee,

Do you mind if I give you a reading?

Chooky

chrisdee

Post by chrisdee » Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:06 am

Hi Chooky I have a relationship problem any thing you pick up would be helpful
Is yours just a general reading you want or have you a question in mind

Chooky

Post by Chooky » Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:01 am

Probably more down the angle of family, do I have another baby...thats fairly specific isn't it!!!
Just what ever you get...actually got lots of question so, maybe you can practice on me a lot...

Gem

Post by Gem » Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:49 pm

Chooky wrote:Hi Gem

Do you mean, rather than give a summary, state what each card means in their position?
Not exactly more that in this case the first three are about the recent past and the next the present etc so that  the querent understands more and also you have them for reference which positions you used? Hmm no I can tell that is sounding confusing. Adding the bits in Bold below perhaps? Once you get to this stage you will be working out a style of your own, what suits , what you want to add and leave out etc , so take this as a suggestion, its not the law lol.

Cards 1, 2, 3, Recent Past
1, The Querent
2, Help
3, Hinder

Cards 4,5,6, Present
4, The Querent
5, Help
6, Hinder

7 & 8 The near future
7, Advice
8, Outcome

This is what I got for you...here goes

The Recent Past
1.  3 Wands
2.  9 Swords
3.  The Hanged Man

You have great opportunties ahead of you, and you do not rush into your decision making in regards to any decision you make.  You always weigh up how it all will impact on others, rather than yourself first.  You like to have all the information before you, before you make any decision as you like to be prepared. I feel that you need to stop worrying about others and focus more on yourself and what it is that you would like.  You need to refocus your energies and put your needs first, as you have a tendency to do things to please others.  You need to see things from a different perspective and perhaps take the advice that you give to others and apply it to yourself, as you tend to neglect your own needs.

The Present
4.  Judgement
5.  The High Priestess
6.  The Lovers

You have come to realise how to deal with your situations better, so that you can find a balance to suit everyone, including yourself (as you tend to focus less on yourself).  You are now realising that it is time to focus on you, and not so much on what others think you should do.  You need to use your intuition in your situation and any situation that requires a decision, as you do know which is the best decision to make, and you are probably letting others have too much input on things to do with you.  By the way, your relationships will not suffer for this new change in attitude, in fact they will improve as you will be making the best decision, you will be happier and less stressed.

The Near Future
7.  6 Swords
8.  Page of cups

You are going to be moving ahead with your new found confidence, your relationships will improve and there will be less emotion involved, your lines of communication will be more open and this means that everyone will be happier as you can do things without feeling the guilt that you have had in the past.  You can work together as a team, and still achieve your own personal goals.  

In summing up Gem, you need to do the  thing that YOU really want to do, life is too short, to not. Keep the lines of communication open and start to focus on your own needs, everyone involved in the long term will be much happier.

Gem

Post by Gem » Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:52 pm

Chooky wrote:Probably more down the angle of family, do I have another baby...thats fairly specific isn't it!!!
Just what ever you get...actually got lots of question so, maybe you can practice on me a lot...
This is brilliant, discussion on the reading.  With in person readings, its so natural to talk to the querent and discuss certain aspects and they will keep telling which bits they want to know about and add to the reading, it is quite possible that 2 or 3 or more layouts might be spread in a effort to get a full picture. Sometimes giving online readings is very.....  ask, read, type, done, and thats a shame .

Return to “Learn Tarot - Practice Readings”