Reveresed cards

This is main Learn Tarot Forum. General tarot lesson questions and answer can be addressed here.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123, TarotModerator

cedars
Tarot reader

Reveresed cards

Post by cedars » Sun May 06, 2007 9:20 am

Hi All,
I have heard a lot about reversed cards in this forum.
Well, the truth is, when I shuffle my cards I make sure they are all upright and avoid any reversed cards. Unless, of course, the universe slips in a reversed card on purpose. But I do not tempt or give way to having any reversed cards, if I can.

Any thoughts on this please?
Cedars

Gem

Post by Gem » Sun May 06, 2007 12:58 pm

I was just wondering why? Are you scared of reversed cards? Do you not understand their meanings?

There are many ideas about reversals. Mine are quite simple, but surely if you go to great lengths to not use reversals and don't consciously turn any cards then what happens if you do get one? How do you read it? Or do you simply turn it back round?

George

Re: Reveresed cards

Post by George » Sun May 06, 2007 1:56 pm

cedars wrote:Hi All,
I have heard a lot about reversed cards in this forum.
Well, the truth is, when I shuffle my cards I make sure they are all upright and avoid any reversed cards. Unless, of course, the universe slips in a reversed card on purpose. But I do not tempt or give way to having any reversed cards, if I can.

Any thoughts on this please?
Cedars
Some readings i've done in the past few days and this train of thought is new to me but i have started to read the reverse again and feel so overwhelmed by them.  in my readings they have just felt like a minor or lesser degree of their original meaning.  ex: I drew the IX of Swords reversed and i say something like "your a worried but i feel that it not as strong as it could be but it is still on your mind. "  
actually now that i think about i was asked in another thread why don't i just try to make them all come up right side because i was feeling so overwhelmed by them.   to me that felt dishonest to the cards and querent because it was like i was trying to change what the cards where trying to say to me.  as you will see there is a lot of thoughts about these and you will find the path that is right for you.  so do as you feel and don't be surprised if you change your mind later on then change it again  :smt002
for me i think i change my mind becuase i am have built more confiedance in my ability in readings (so far too go but still better then a month ago).

good luck in your search!   :smt006
Common sense dictates there is no such thing as common sense.

Gem

Post by Gem » Mon May 07, 2007 5:19 pm

oooh oooh had a new idea for my two decks... one upright and one reversed of the same deck shuffled carefully together so they stay that way.. ohhh must go and try it!!

cedars
Tarot reader

Post by cedars » Sat May 12, 2007 4:39 pm

I suppose both Gem and George are right in what you are saying. I have learnt from previous material that reversed cards mean the same of an upright one but of a lesser value/meaning.

I suppose I will have to shuffle my cards with my eyes closed so that in case I happen to reverse some of them by chance..... lol..
Thanks for your inputs on this.
cedars

Gem

Post by Gem » Sat May 12, 2007 4:48 pm

I think the opposite, I think a reversal means MORE and is trying to get our attention

cedars
Tarot reader

Post by cedars » Sat May 12, 2007 4:57 pm

I'll think in both those terms Gem the next time I find a reversed card in a reading and see which one I am more in tune with.

George

Post by George » Sat May 12, 2007 7:34 pm

cedars wrote:I suppose both Gem and George are right in what you are saying. I have learnt from previous material that reversed cards mean the same of an upright one but of a lesser value/meaning.

I suppose I will have to shuffle my cards with my eyes closed so that in case I happen to reverse some of them by chance..... lol..
Thanks for your inputs on this.
cedars
overall not a lesser value but more if anything!  if i have read a lesser value to a reverse card that is becuase that is what i felt at that moment.  and that would be the lesson to take from all this talk. Read the cards as they feel to you at that time.  do what is comfortable for you and start taping into your intuition, gut feelings, comfort level etc...  what ever you want to call it and you'll find that your cards well speak to you even if you change your mind or come to a different conclusion later on about doing reverse cards.  :smt006

George

Post by George » Sat May 12, 2007 7:36 pm

cedars wrote:I'll think in both those terms Gem the next time I find a reversed card in a reading and see which one I am more in tune with.
you guys are are two hours behind me as we speak!  its 3:35 here now although i'm not sure what it says 4:35 on my post!  :smt018  :smt002

cedars
Tarot reader

Post by cedars » Sat May 12, 2007 10:57 pm

I am in the UK George, so I must be at least 5 hours ahead of you.

tlkandler

Post by tlkandler » Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:34 am

My original thought was that it was to be read as the opposite, but whats been mentioned here make more sense to me... and later I read that it was up to the person doing the reading as to read reverals or not.  Once I read that, I quite reading that way.  Oh I dealt the cards and some would be reversed I just read it as usual though.  

Ok, so my actual question is (I use the celtic cross spread) how do you read the reversals for the 3 card since its laid sideways?  I mean what makes it reversed... if its facing the left... or the right?  To me I think I would say the left would be reversed, but I'd like someone with more knowledge to give me some guidence in this area.

anas

Post by anas » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:25 pm

Wella ctually, i don't like to get upright cards all the time... i don't like to fool myself.
Face the truth, reversed cards have some negative aspect... but this is life wether we like it or not  :smt003  :smt003  :smt003

pirbid

Post by pirbid » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:34 pm

:smt010 Why are some people so mean to reversed cards?

I think they are great! Instead of having 78 cards, you get 156 with several meanings each, all for the same price... Priceless!

I have used reversals from the very beginning and now I would feel very incomplete without them. There is not a single way to interpret them , just as there is no single way to interpret them the right way up.

For example, take The Tower. If you would normally read it as some violent change or havoc that you can barely adapt to, watch this card upside down: it looks like the whole world is upside down and blowing to pieces! I would read it as being unable to cope with sudden change and feeling completely uprooted.

Another one, the 8 of swords, reversed could be seen as trying to get out of a stifling situation, freeing oneself from oppression.

Of course, it all depends on the context of the reading. My point is that reversed cards can be very positive. The only exception may be the Court cards: I usually see them as those people when tired, confused, blocked or thwarted, so they begin acting up a little and bringing out little meannesses that we all have.  :smt002
Sunshine from the islands of eternal spring ;)

cedars
Tarot reader

Post by cedars » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:44 pm

I hear what you're saying Pirbid. I myself always shuffle my cards so that they are always upright, but on one occasion by hook or crook, the World card came reversed while I was doing a Chakra reading....... I didnt flinch; I took the meaning as being less effective as that of an upright World card.  I still believe if the tarot wanted to pass its message to us, it has 78 choices and options to do so without reverting to the reverse cards... that's my humble opinion. However, I also believe that if the tarot or life itself or karma or fate....... call it what you like..... if they wanted to show us the equivalent of a reverse meaning, they will find a way of bringing that to us.
So........ like some people who make a determined effort to 'create' the reverse cards by shuffling the cards by putting them face down on a table and making a mess of the cards with this or that movement in order to create a reversed-card situation......... so, what are they trying to achieve?
Let things be....... I'd say.
cedars

pirbid

Post by pirbid » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:56 pm

The way you do it is certainly more comfortable and widely spread. It is also perfect for reading accidental reversals the way Gem does: making them central in the spread by drawing special attention to themselves. I would read them like that if I didn't use reversals myself.

But I have always loved shuffling by "making a mess", as you say, because my hands are small and I enjoy it more this way. It also gives me and my querent more time to concentrate on the question and relax before the reading, what with having to pick them all up, rebuild the deck and everything.

I also find this is a more spontaneous way of returning the deck back to chaos after a reading, rather than the irksome task of putting them all in numerical order again, which takes forever and a bit. And I believe by doing that we are imposing a certain order that is not intrinsic to the deck, either.  :smt002
Sunshine from the islands of eternal spring ;)

Return to “Learn Tarot”