Choosing a deck to learn with

This is main Learn Tarot Forum. General tarot lesson questions and answer can be addressed here.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123, TarotModerator

Gem

Choosing a deck to learn with

Post by Gem » Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:41 pm

There are so many tarot decks out there, how can we choose one that will suit us?

First to make things easier to learn it is best to start with a deck that has pictures for each card. Some have just 3 swords or 6 cups or 8 pentacles and learngint he interpretation for those without pictures takes a lot of memory work and remembering!

So try and choose a deck that is has pictures for all the cards and one that is based on the Rider Waite. This means that every card is named the same as the main deck and so makes interpretation and comparison of cards much easier.

Then make sure that you like all the cards or at least are not offended by them. Some contain very graphic pictures and many have some nakedness symbolising innocence.

The size of a deck can vary greatly too, so make sure that your hands can cope with handling them, and the cards are not too large or too small.

The finish affects the slipperiness of the cards and the ease of shuffling. Some tend to stick and wear out, others have a glossy smooth shine that protects them.

Good decks to start your search with are..

Rider Waite Smith (Rider is the Publisher, Waite the designer, Smith the artist)

Universal Waite (Universal is the publisher and Waite the designer) Much more colourful and modern.

Ancestral Path
Hanson Roberts
Halloween
Legends
Morgan-Greer
Mythic
Nefertari's
Robin Wood
Sacred Rose
Shapeshifter
Vision Quest
Witches

I am sure there are many more too.

Suzyn

Astrology Deck

Post by Suzyn » Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:07 pm

I have an Astrology deck that consists of the 22 classic Major Arcana Cards, The ace of each of the four suits, 12 western zodiac signs, 12 Chinese horoscope signs, and 14 cards that represent the 9 planets, new and full moon, ascendandt, Mid-heavan and Moon's node. All apart from the first 22 are treated like Minor Arcana.

I have had this deck for years now and always go back to it, it feels comfy!

What I really like is that every card has an instantly reconisable character, where as I find traditional decks sometimes lack that instant feel in there four suits.  Though this is due to my lazy Leo character not having the patience to learn! (bit older and wiser now - just a little bit mind).

I guess whatever suits is the right one.
Shine bright

Suzyn

Gem

Post by Gem » Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:51 pm

Sounds like Russell Grants Astro tarot? That deck makes it very hard to learn traditional tarot reading. It doesn't correlate at all to any of classical tarot teachings or decks. Not really one for beginners that want to learn.

Suzyn

Post by Suzyn » Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:07 pm

Hi Gem,

Yes it is, and it is better to learn with a traditional deck, although I did learn with these and just adapted them as needed, I often use the Celtic Cross as a spread, even though that is not one of the layouts in the accompanying book.

I have grown attached to them over the years, but I still use a more traditional pack for some readings.  You always find yourself having to refer back to the traditional interpretations at some point so better to master the basics from a traditional deck.
Shine bright

Suzyn

Gem

Post by Gem » Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:35 pm

Does the book give special astrological layouts?

I find that some 'different' decks have a new layout  designed specially for them. I know the Haindl Deck does, so wondered about yours?

Japann

Post by Japann » Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:43 pm

I decided to order The Hanson Roberts Tarot.  It took ages to arrive and inbetween ordering it and it arriving I fell in love with the Gilded Tarot Deck.

My husband bought me the Gilded Tarot Deck for our Wedding Anniversary and the Hanson Roberts Tarot arrived a few days later.  My Hanson- Roberts deck has sat on the bookshelf, I have hardly looked at it because I am so in love with the Gilded deck. :smt007

This deck is based on The Rider-Waite tarot.  I have been told several times that it is ideal for beginners.  I am an absolute beginner but I feel that I have a good connection with this deck.

Suzyn

Post by Suzyn » Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:47 pm

Yes it has a spread of 12 cards in a circle, laying the first at 9 O clock position then completing anti clockwise.  The cards can be a general reading or for the year ahead.  Each card is placed in 1 - 12 of the astrological houses, so the book gives an interpretation for upright, reversed and that card in each of the 12 houses.

If you are into Astrology then the cards have immediate impact and meaning.

Will be back on tomorrow but have to go as heaps of work to get through before meeting tomorrow.
Shine bright

Suzyn

mysticcrystal

Post by mysticcrystal » Wed May 09, 2007 7:46 pm

I love round tarot decks. I wish they made more of them. I found one I want called Songs for the Journey Home. Very pretty.

Gem

Post by Gem » Thu May 10, 2007 11:59 am

Do you use multiple positions instead of reversals with your round deck?

mysticcrystal

Post by mysticcrystal » Thu May 10, 2007 12:46 pm

Yes, I mostly go by intuition with this, but a basic theme is that, going clockwise, the closer the card is to its upright position, the sooner the event will take place, with the exception of a reversed card which may also mean the opposite deefinition of the card when it is facing upright.

George

Post by George » Thu May 10, 2007 3:20 pm

Gem wrote:Do you use multiple positions instead of reversals with your round deck?
Round decks  :smt030 that sounds like fun no more worrying about then reverse card in readings! Wait, now you have to worry about side way card readings!  :smt038  Does the pain ever end!  :smt062

i'll have to look for the round ones i really like that ideal!  :smt023
Common sense dictates there is no such thing as common sense.

mysticcrystal

Post by mysticcrystal » Thu May 10, 2007 3:26 pm

Lol, you're so funny, George! When I first learned on the round decks, I got all confused at the meanings. "This card is 320 degrees from upright...what does that mean?"
But they are fun and do help with getting in touch with your intuition. My favorite round deck is Tarot of the Cloisters. Check themt out and let me know what you think of them.

BamaMystic

Post by BamaMystic » Fri May 11, 2007 3:33 am

Japann wrote:I decided to order The Hanson Roberts Tarot.  It took ages to arrive and inbetween ordering it and it arriving I fell in love with the Gilded Tarot Deck.

My husband bought me the Gilded Tarot Deck for our Wedding Anniversary and the Hanson Roberts Tarot arrived a few days later.  My Hanson- Roberts deck has sat on the bookshelf, I have hardly looked at it because I am so in love with the Gilded deck. :smt007

This deck is based on The Rider-Waite tarot.  I have been told several times that it is ideal for beginners.  I am an absolute beginner but I feel that I have a good connection with this deck.

I also just love the Gilded Tarot deck. I'm beginning but have read a little here and there over the years. The book with the deck has been really helpful with any questions I was having.

mysticcrystal

Post by mysticcrystal » Fri May 11, 2007 4:20 am

I really love the Gilded tarot deck, too, but I don't own it yet. Hopefully one day I will.

Return to “Learn Tarot”