What are yods?

For Tarot discussions and general questions.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123, TarotModerator

George

What are yods?

Post by George » Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:01 pm

We just came across our first yods in our Tarot Reading lessons and i'm just hoping someone give me a little info on what or how yods are used in a reading!

thanks in advance  :smt039
Common sense dictates there is no such thing as common sense.

Angelique

Post by Angelique » Sat Apr 21, 2007 5:05 pm

When I first saw this post the other day, I had to do a double take because I thought you were doing a play on words "What are the yods" like it was a question "What are the odds?". And then I realized it was "what are yods?" Seeing no one has reponded I hope it's not against forum rules to post a few links, but I Googled it for you; there is such a thing as yods in astrology (which describes yods as planets forming a sextile) and in tarot (they appear to be dart like or arrows, not spears - but they show an example in one of the links provided) and then the word also means creating anagrams from particular words by adding another letter. Here is what I found, hope one of these links helps :)

morewords.com/word/yods/
astrologynew.com/node/96
yodastrology.com/yods.html
dharma-talks.com/ezine/2001fall.htm

George

Post by George » Sat Apr 21, 2007 6:22 pm

Angelique wrote:When I first saw this post the other day, I had to do a double take because I thought you were doing a play on words "What are the yods" like it was a question "What are the odds?". And then I realized it was "what are yods?" Seeing no one has reponded I hope it's not against forum rules to post a few links, but I Googled it for you; there is such a thing as yods in astrology (which describes yods as planets forming a sextile) and in tarot (they appear to be dart like or arrows, not spears - but they show an example in one of the links provided) and then the word also means creating anagrams from particular words by adding another letter. Here is what I found, hope one of these links helps :)

morewords.com/word/yods/
astrologynew.com/node/96
yodastrology.com/yods.html
dharma-talks.com/ezine/2001fall.htm
thank you for taking the time to do this!  :smt006

my dictonary say a Yod is  1. The 10th letter of the Hebrew alphabet.  2. any of the sounds represented by this letter.

in the Tarot cards you will see Yods falling from the sky or in the sky etc.  just wanted to know how it fits in!

thanks again for the time you took  :smt020  will print and read them later.  :smt006

Gem

Post by Gem » Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:54 am

George have you investigated Aleister Crowley, The Golden Dawn and the Thoth deck? Many tarotists seem to follow one legion ( Waite) or another (Crowley) and there is a massive difference between feelings about whether these objects are actually yods or raindrops or sun drips. It really comes from your beliefs about the tarot and where it originated and so on?

George

Post by George » Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:30 pm

Gem wrote:George have you investigated Aleister Crowley, The Golden Dawn and the Thoth deck? Many tarotists seem to follow one legion ( Waite) or another (Crowley) and there is a massive difference between feelings about whether these objects are actually yods or raindrops or sun drips. It really comes from your beliefs about the tarot and where it originated and so on?
no, have not checked into them. This ideals and concepts are somewhat new to me so i'm just starting to learn about them.  although it does clear so stuff up in my mind about the subject because i read very little about it when i first got my cards and it was just too heavy to deal with at the time. i knew (assumed) in a reading or learning right now in the beginning that i really didn't need to know what the numbers mean, ever single image on the cards,  the colors in the cards and yods was something i would pickup on it later in my education.    Will check out those decks later and see what happens.  thanks Gem  :smt003

Infinitim

The Meaning of Yod

Post by Infinitim » Thu May 03, 2007 3:42 pm

The "Yod" is the Tenth Letter of the Hebrew Aleph-Bayt or Alphabet.  The Yod is Aleph the first Hebrew letter in Existence.  That is as Aleph is unembodied and archetypal, Yod is embodied and Existential.  The Yods signify the descent of the life force (Aleph~spirit before it descends into matter) from above as seen in the Moon card.  Yod represents spirit after it has descended from above and entered into matter, ie. humanity.  Yods are seen in the Moon and Tower Cards of the Major Arcana.  In the Rider Waite Deck, the moon card has fifteen yellow Yods that descend and  are seen as Divine energy or "dew" as Waite himself called them symbolizing renewing and fertilizing inspiration.  The human profile represented in the Moon card symbolizes the cycles we must go through to attain spiritual wisdom.  In the Rider Waite Deck, the 22 yellow Yods in the Tower card represent spiritual wisdom and grace.  They also represent the 22 paths on the Cabalistic Tree of Life and all the powers of the Major Arcana.  For more information see the book "Spiritual Tarot" by Signe Echols, M.S., Robert Mueller, Ph.D., and Sandra Thomson as well as "Jung and Tarot", by Sallie Nichols.  They are two great books.  Yod is also the first letter in the Ineffable Name of G_d in the Hebrew Tradition of Qabala.  Y H V H (pronounced Yod Heh Vau (or Wau) Heh) The Name Translates into Jehovah or Yahweh leading to two schools of philosophy, the Jehovists and the Yahwehists .  In writing the Hebrew Yod is represented by something that looks akin to an apostrophe or comma.  The English representation of the letter is simply a capital Y.

See also http://www.psyche.com/psyche/autiot/yod.html

George

Re: The Meaning of Yod

Post by George » Thu May 03, 2007 10:04 pm

Infinitim wrote:The "Yod" is the Tenth Letter of the Hebrew Aleph-Bayt or Alphabet.  The Yod is Aleph the first Hebrew letter in Existence.  That is as Aleph is unembodied and archetypal, Yod is embodied and Existential.  The Yods signify the descent of the life force (Aleph~spirit before it descends into matter) from above as seen in the Moon card.  Yod represents spirit after it has descended from above and entered into matter, ie. humanity.  Yods are seen in the Moon and Tower Cards of the Major Arcana.  In the Rider Waite Deck, the moon card has fifteen yellow Yods that descend and  are seen as Divine energy or "dew" as Waite himself called them symbolizing renewing and fertilizing inspiration.  The human profile represented in the Moon card symbolizes the cycles we must go through to attain spiritual wisdom.  In the Rider Waite Deck, the 22 yellow Yods in the Tower card represent spiritual wisdom and grace.  They also represent the 22 paths on the Cabalistic Tree of Life and all the powers of the Major Arcana.  For more information see the book "Spiritual Tarot" by Signe Echols, M.S., Robert Mueller, Ph.D., and Sandra Thomson as well as "Jung and Tarot", by Sallie Nichols.  They are two great books.  Yod is also the first letter in the Ineffable Name of G_d in the Hebrew Tradition of Qabala.  Y H V H (pronounced Yod Heh Vau (or Wau) Heh) The Name Translates into Jehovah or Yahweh leading to two schools of philosophy, the Jehovists and the Yahwehists .  In writing the Hebrew Yod is represented by something that looks akin to an apostrophe or comma.  The English representation of the letter is simply a capital Y.

See also http://www.psyche.com/psyche/autiot/yod.html
thank you for taking the time to write and respond to my post!  :smt026   very intresting indeed.  i will check out the books and link to see what subjects they cover in more detail.   :smt020

Gem

Post by Gem » Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:30 pm

George

Post by George » Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:58 pm

thank you Gem will give it a try later or tomorrow!

George

Post by George » Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:36 pm

just check out your link which i think i might of had years ago without looking at it more closly but it looks like the same website!  

ttyl
george

Payewacker

Yods

Post by Payewacker » Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:52 am

Hi George,

MMMM, Yods are not so easy, it is a contradictory state between 1--Aleph and 10-- Yod. Aleph being number one is the potential or spark for anything to be, Yod is Ten the actual manifestation of anything to be, but it's also one, therefore it is a continuos battle between that which is in existance and limited to time and Aleph something to be and not limited by time. It is also the bringing together of weight and measure, whereas that which is measured is then altered by measuring the specific timeframe? Then we see a continuos battle or contradiction or conflict between Aleph and Yod. This influences everything inbetween as nothing would exist without Aleph and Yod, being the partners in life that brings that which is non existant into existance, in other words, that wich is not limited to time and without limit Aleph; and Yod which is a manefestation of actual time in the third dimension and is limited.

The fact to remember is that in the number ten, Yod, is minimised to 1 in numerology, therefore the beginning is a paradox to the ending and vise versa.

Blessed be
Do as you want, Harm none!

Payewacker

Post by Payewacker » Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:30 pm

Hi George,

Yod does not refer to only one letter in the heb. alphabet, but a culmination of Yods, These being single letters of which are primaries and others added to form new meanings with each it's own additions. It also refer to the numeric value up to 900 being Tsade (in final), 90 becomes 900.

To a lot of people this seems a little overpowering in the sense that most of the literature is actually contradictory, yet supportive, for short, riddle upon riddle.

To untangle this lot is not so easy, it seems as if your end goal suddenly gets lost in anciliary areas of teaching. Then to actually keep the thread running, every single area needs to be studied, and not lightly read. This study will eventually bring you to more questions of which you need to seek answers.

Thus the whole process is a culmination of frustration, bad moods of your partners and definitely sleepless nights.

For example: the word YOD is actually Yod-Waw-Dallet, it's Gematria being 20, thus 10-6-4: Existence(Yod)--Propagation(Waw)--Resistance(Dallet ).

I have material regarding this and will try to bring it together somewhat more understandable.

Look at your Aces, the only one really without Yods is Pentacles, this is a basis element, (Earth) infinite, but limited, The others mainly deal with emotions and situations which are subject to alteration, so, limitless and finite?

When working with the Cabbala, you need to remember it particularly pertains the Major Arcanum. However we can see the Aces as Yods on their own, being the spark and the ending of which if both is not present nothing in between can exist? Ten being the culmination of one to nine, but also one.

I compiled an article which is mainly methaphysical and specifically pertaining to a biological sphere of existence and cumalative reaction to living matter created by non living organisms, and a riddle on it's own, i will try to compile it so that we can all know how it fits toghether.

Hope to be able to give a more detailed feedback soon.

Blessed be.
Do as you want, Harm none!

George

Post by George » Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:57 pm

Payewacker wrote:Hi George,

Yod does not refer to only one letter in the heb. alphabet, but a culmination of Yods, These being single letters of which are primaries and others added to form new meanings with each it's own additions. It also refer to the numeric value up to 900 being Tsade (in final), 90 becomes 900.

To a lot of people this seems a little overpowering in the sense that most of the literature is actually contradictory, yet supportive, for short, riddle upon riddle.

To untangle this lot is not so easy, it seems as if your end goal suddenly gets lost in anciliary areas of teaching. Then to actually keep the thread running, every single area needs to be studied, and not lightly read. This study will eventually bring you to more questions of which you need to seek answers.

Thus the whole process is a culmination of frustration, bad moods of your partners and definitely sleepless nights.

For example: the word YOD is actually Yod-Waw-Dallet, it's Gematria being 20, thus 10-6-4: Existence(Yod)--Propagation(Waw)--Resistance(Dallet ).

I have material regarding this and will try to bring it together somewhat more understandable.

Look at your Aces, the only one really without Yods is Pentacles, this is a basis element, (Earth) infinite, but limited, The others mainly deal with emotions and situations which are subject to alteration, so, limitless and finite?

When working with the Cabbala, you need to remember it particularly pertains the Major Arcanum. However we can see the Aces as Yods on their own, being the spark and the ending of which if both is not present nothing in between can exist? Ten being the culmination of one to nine, but also one.

I compiled an article which is mainly methaphysical and specifically pertaining to a biological sphere of existence and cumalative reaction to living matter created by non living organisms, and a riddle on it's own, i will try to compile it so that we can all know how it fits toghether.

Hope to be able to give a more detailed feedback soon.

Blessed be.
thank you for taking the time and posting this info!   :)  will give it a read in a day or two.  

ttyl  :smt006

Return to “Tarot”