Importance of Navamsa chart

For vedic astrology discussions and general questions.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123, RishiRahul

matmazel38

Importance of Navamsa chart

Post by matmazel38 » Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:40 pm

I wonder the importance of navamsa chart when evaluating a person's life in general. For example, as far as I know, in my rashi chart moon is weak because of its house and aspects, but can we change this consideration after evaluating chart with navamsa ?

Birth details: 09.Nov.1974, Ankara,Turkey, 13:00 pm ( afternoon )

Regards

astrobhadauria

Post by astrobhadauria » Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:57 pm

Dear,
When something is ok,but the time of navamansa changing every nine minuets,and it is not possible,It is 9th part of 30 degree,of Asc.and related to Life mate.

Ramendra Singh Bhaduria
Jaipur
Good person want to make good everywhere.

RishiRahul
Astrology Reader

Post by RishiRahul » Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:24 pm

Hi,

As this is a question on Navamsa, and is not a horary question, this thread is being moved to the ‘Vedic Astrology  forum’, its rightful place.

For meaning of Horary question: please go through the ’STICKY’ in the horary forum.

Wishing you good luck.

RishiRahul

harrypatyal

Hi all

Post by harrypatyal » Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:24 pm

Just wondering what influence does my name play in my personality?

tania

Post by tania » Sun Sep 30, 2007 5:27 am

how to learn this chart

Nechi

Navamsa

Post by Nechi » Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:18 pm

The sage Parasara had advocated divisions of the zodaic (varga system) for more accurate reading.
The navamsa chart helps us to study about the marraiage aspect. In my humble opinion, the navamsa has no relevance to other aspects of life.

However, it has been a practice with vedic astrologers to insert the navamsa chart also along with the Rasi chart.
Maybe, I am wrong! If somebody throws more light, I will be thankful.
vishnukumar45

vivekvshetty

Re: Navamsa

Post by vivekvshetty » Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:06 pm

Nechi wrote:The sage Parasara had advocated divisions of the zodaic (varga system) for more accurate reading.
The navamsa chart helps us to study about the marraiage aspect. In my humble opinion, the navamsa has no relevance to other aspects of life.

However, it has been a practice with vedic astrologers to insert the navamsa chart also along with the Rasi chart.
Namaskaar Nechi ji,
Navamsha is also called Dharmamsha. It has great bearing on the Dharma of the Jaatak, the ninth house is the focus of the Navamsha and the seventh house is the 11th from the ninth and hence shows the gains or fruits of the Dharma.
This is the divisional kundali seen to know about the Dharam Devata of the Jaataka, as also the Ishta and a whole lot of other protective deities assosiated with him/her.
The 10th house in the navansha has great say in the finances of the Jaatak as it is the second from the ninth (the temple).
so much more can be said about this Varag Kundali.

vivek.

Agnihotri

Post by Agnihotri » Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:14 pm

Nechi wrote:The sage Parasara had advocated divisions of the zodaic (varga system) for more accurate reading.

I share your sentiment on this debilitating practice. When the mahacharyas devised the vargas, they were exploded micro representations of a dedicated topic. The navamsa for instance, is an extruded view of the 'marriage issue' and should therefore be used for the exclusive study of that issue and nothing else. In fact, they were very clear on this.

Instead, modern practitioners claim that the navamsa is 'more powerful' than the rasi and must be used 'instead' of the rasi. Nothing is further than the truth, and this makes a mockery of the careful protocols the established rishis have established. One glaring example is the use of aspects by some astrologers in the navamsa. The aspects are astronomical weights applied in astrology and they are celestial, meaning particularly relevant in the rasi. Whereas the vargas are finer sub-divisions of any given rasi of 30 degrees, and the extruded planetary positions in the vargas cannot bear relevance to that which is only applicable between two different points of arc on the geocentric zodiac. Also, when astrologers measure strengths based on swakshetra or uccha positions in the vargas. nowhere has it been laid out that certain divisions of a certain sign for a certain varga makes it swakshetra, or uccha, etc. These are positions of strength which are delegated to positions on the celestial rasi, and not the micro vargas.

There are only two things that I have found to be consistent with the use of the vargas: 1. the vargottama significance, and 2. surprisingly, the 'karaka' instead of 'functional' use of that vargottama graha in the interpretation of effects relevant for that varga, and the most dominant or obvious trend for that varga.

I welcome everyone's sharing on this. Let us hear your unique experiments and observations.

May Your Stars Shine Bright Always

:)

Rohiniranjan

Post by Rohiniranjan » Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:34 am

Dear Ashutosh ji,

Namashkaar! While I would not go as far as calling the use of navamsha in classical jyotish as 'mockery' and other judgmental labels (unless you consider vimshopaka as a mockery too ;-)) -- but to present the situation in a somewhat balanced and beyond the straight and narrow manner, it is true that one of the jyotish scholars who goes by the handle Bharat Jyotishi (could be his real name, I am not sure) and a few of his peers have been questioning the whole concept and practice of using vargas (other than rashi varga) as charts! He and his compatriots insist that vargas are fine when used as secondary evidence/indicators for determining the strength and quality of a planet but they are vehemently opposed to spinning charts out of those vargas, OTHER THAN RASHI VARGA, of course where they allow the use of charts and kundalis!

Neither *camp* has demonstrated whether ordinary jyotishis like me (majority) can live without the varga charts entirely or must we obsessively follow the recommendations of equally bright individuals and significant teachers to many (I am not one of their students, just to clear the air, by the way!) who insist that Parashara described all the vargas before moving on to the predictive aspects (combinations and so on) in his magnum opus, meaning thereby that what is described later on applies to all vargas described earlier!

Rohiniranjan

<I do have a few websites etc and so on, but Elder Rhutobello is on the lookout and I do not want to have his admonition stamped on my case ;-) --Sorry 'Rhuto' -- couldn't resist! Spank me when you catch me!!>

[quote="Agnihotri"][quote="Nechi"]The sage Parasara had advocated divisions of the zodaic (varga system) for more accurate reading.

Maybe, I am wrong! If somebody throws more light, I will be thankful.[/quote]

I share your sentiment on this debilitating practice. When the mahacharyas devised the vargas, they were exploded micro representations of a dedicated topic. The navamsa for instance, is an extruded view of the 'marriage issue' and should therefore be used for the exclusive study of that issue and nothing else. In fact, they were very clear on this.

Instead, modern practitioners claim that the navamsa is 'more powerful' than the rasi and must be used 'instead' of the rasi. Nothing is further than the truth, and this makes a mockery of the careful protocols the established rishis have established. One glaring example is the use of aspects by some astrologers in the navamsa. The aspects are astronomical weights applied in astrology and they are celestial, meaning particularly relevant in the rasi. Whereas the vargas are finer sub-divisions of any given rasi of 30 degrees, and the extruded planetary positions in the vargas cannot bear relevance to that which is only applicable between two different points of arc on the geocentric zodiac. Also, when astrologers measure strengths based on swakshetra or uccha positions in the vargas. nowhere has it been laid out that certain divisions of a certain sign for a certain varga makes it swakshetra, or uccha, etc. These are positions of strength which are delegated to positions on the celestial rasi, and not the micro vargas.

There are only two things that I have found to be consistent with the use of the vargas: 1. the vargottama significance, and 2. surprisingly, the 'karaka' instead of 'functional' use of that vargottama graha in the interpretation of effects relevant for that varga, and the most dominant or obvious trend for that varga.

I welcome everyone's sharing on this. Let us hear your unique experiments and observations.

:)[/quote]

Agnihotri

Post by Agnihotri » Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:15 pm

Marriage in earlier times was a major event in life even more than it is today. It was regarded more as a spiritual rather than mundane event. The 9th harmonic in ancient terms was a major source of strength as it it was 'the' dimension to assess one's spiritual likelihoods and achievements.

Since marriage was 'the' major turning point for couples, it was natural for jyotish practitioners to have the navamsa placed alongside the rasi; not because it promises additional strength or is more powerful than the rasi, but because it was a definite issue for any parent consulting for their children even from a young age. It was just plain convenient to have it up for a quick analysis. &nbsp;

I believe, along the way came an overzealous practitioner who went sideways with his new ideas of applying the navamsa. Subsequent unquestioning followers soaked it in and regrettably saturated into a momentum that &nbsp;became mainstream. Next thing you know, somebody makes the statement, "the navamsa is more powerful than the rasi" or something similar to that, deviating from the original principal use as expounded by the mahacharyas.

After 37 years of daily astrology, applying it in diverse areas of corporate and personal life, I have not come close to a single consistent protocol of promising replicable results with the full range of vargas for some of the most crucial issues in normal living. I am still observing my own work in this unending adventure. But I am extremely happy to meet with fiends on this board who are making serious enquiries on these technical issues. For me to receive their own cherished thoughts and experiences, I feel blessed.

May we be more illumined for the betterment of the next generation and the evolution of an ancient tradition!

rohiniranjan wrote:Dear Ashutosh ji,

Namashkaar! While I would not go as far as calling the use of navamsha in classical jyotish as 'mockery' and other judgmental labels (unless you consider vimshopaka as a mockery too ;-)) -- but to present the situation in a somewhat balanced and beyond the straight and narrow manner, it is true that one of the jyotish scholars who goes by the handle Bharat Jyotishi (could be his real name, I am not sure) and a few of his peers have been questioning the whole concept and practice of using vargas (other than rashi varga) as charts! He and his compatriots insist that vargas are fine when used as secondary evidence/indicators for determining the strength and quality of a planet but they are vehemently opposed to spinning charts out of those vargas, OTHER THAN RASHI VARGA, of course where they allow the use of charts and kundalis!

Neither *camp* has demonstrated whether ordinary jyotishis like me (majority) can live without the varga charts entirely or must we obsessively follow the recommendations of equally bright individuals and significant teachers to many (I am not one of their students, just to clear the air, by the way!) who insist that Parashara described all the vargas before moving on to the predictive aspects (combinations and so on) in his magnum opus, meaning thereby that what is described later on applies to all vargas described earlier!

Rohiniranjan

<I do have a few websites etc and so on, but Elder Rhutobello is on the lookout and I do not want to have his admonition stamped on my case ;-) --Sorry 'Rhuto' -- couldn't resist! Spank me when you catch me!!>
Agnihotri wrote:

RishiRahul
Astrology Reader

Post by RishiRahul » Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:45 pm

Hi Agnihotri,

Wonder why you tend to disagree with the Navamsa being a main crux the vedic charts sit on? Marital connections and other marriage factors are also shown by navamsa.

Navamsa cannot or should never be seen with the exclusion of the main chart.

A planet in the same rasi and Navamsa is called 'Vargottama'. I suppose you do believe in the power called 'vargottama'?
Tell me ? Does Vargottama power related to only marriage r all aspects of life?

Do share?

RishiRahul

Agnihotri

Re: Importance of Navamsa chart

Post by Agnihotri » Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:03 am

Based on ancient theories behind the vargas, the navamsa reveals your spiritual 'potencies', inner strength, or the positive provisions of your good karma.

Especially your vargottama planets between your rasi and navamsa, and those planets conjoined in the 'kendras' or 'trikonas' of the navamsa will show the 'outlets' by which your spiritual provisions can be accessed.

matmazel38 wrote:I wonder the importance of navamsa chart when evaluating a person's life in general. For example, as far as I know, in my rashi chart moon is weak because of its house and aspects, but can we change this consideration after evaluating chart with navamsa ?

Birth details: 09.Nov.1974, Ankara,Turkey, 13:00 pm ( afternoon )

Regards

RishiRahul
Astrology Reader

Post by RishiRahul » Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:55 am

Agnihotri wrote:

&nbsp;by Agnihotri

Hi Agnihotri,

Wonder why you tend to disagree with the Navamsa being a main crux the vedic charts sit on? Marital connections and other marriage factors are also shown by navamsa.

A planet in the same rasi and Navamsa is called 'Vargottama'. I suppose you do believe in the power called 'vargottama'?

Do share?

RishiRahul

Based on ancient theories behind the vargas, the navamsa reveals your spiritual 'potencies', inner strength, or the positive provisions of your good karma.

Especially your vargottama planets between your rasi and navamsa, and those planets conjoined in the 'kendras' or 'trikonas' of the navamsa will show the 'outlets' by which your spiritual provisions can be accessed.

Quote By Agnihotri.

TO nECHIJI,AGNIHOTRIJI AND ALL

THE POINT OF ASKING THIS QUERY TO AGNIHOTRIJI ABLOUT NAVAMSHA IS TO TRY TO UNDERSTAND WHY IN ONE PLACE YOU ARE SAYING THAT ONLY MARRIAGE MATTERS SHOULD BE SEEN FROM THE NAVAMSHA CHART.

AGAIN, LATER YOU SAY OR AGREE THAT OTHER MATTERS LIKE SPIRITUAL PROVISIONS SHOULD BE SEEN FROM NAVAMSHA?-----IS NOT UNDERSTOOD.

SPIRITUAL PROVISIONS ARE SEEN PROPERLY FROM THE VIMSHAMSA.

I SEE MUCH CONFUSION IN YOUR MIND AND WOULD LIKE TO REQUEST YOU BOTH TO JOIN THE VEDIC ASTROLOGY CLASSES IN THE FORUM FOR PROPER UNDERSTANDING OF THE SUBJECT YOU ARE STILL CONFUSED ABOUT.

BEST OF LUCK LEARNING,

RISHIRAHUL

Agnihotri

Post by Agnihotri » Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:37 pm

Thank you for your input Rishirahulji,

My contention is that marriage was regarded as a highly crucial landmark in the lives of the ancient Hindu couple as I am sure it still is today. The whole of the Hindu culture is a culture based on nothing less than spiritual values in even the most mundane of events; what more marriage.

The ancient masters justified using the navamsa, the main channel for discerning religiosity (then synonymous with spirituality), for marriage because it was expected to be sanctioned by the higher forces. So it would appear probable that they found it logical to use the navamsa for crucial and sacred events like marriage. The navamsa therefore, was not the varga for 'marriage' per se, but was used as 'the' varga to discern religious/spiritual commitment. This was later misinterpreted as 'the' varga for marriage or spiritual partnership.

But kindly do not take my statements for truth. Regard this at best as one person's personal opinion drawn on decades of daily astrological thinking, that is all, and I would be grateful.

Hi Agnihotri,

The Navamsa is NOT the main crux on which the vedic charts sit on. It is one of the components by which the whole of the person's karmic agenda is illustrated. There is nothing in the vargas that cannot be intelligently seen in the rasi in all its configurations. The vargas are extrusions intelligently devised for more convenient and focused analysis where this has been demosntrated many times in very many instances, where more precise aspects of a person's marriage have been analyzed from the rasi without resorting to the navamsa. However, the navamsa does offer additional data in the marriage issue, but must not be regarded as the sole or superior component for that issue.

Based on the above idea that it is a helpful auxiliary, but not necessarily indispensible, I concur with you in that no varga must be used in exclusion of the rasi.

As for vargottama, its power will be relevant and surge through the area of life in which the varga represents, and it will use the relevant graha as the main channel for expression for that issue. If you have read my earlier posts, I have high regard for the Vargottama. Please refer.

Thank you for your sharing.

Is there a special reason why your message is in all caps?

Agnihotri

Do share?

RishiRahul

Quote By Agnihotri.

TO nECHIJI,AGNIHOTRIJI AND ALL

THE POINT OF ASKING THIS QUERY TO AGNIHOTRIJI ABLOUT NAVAMSHA IS TO TRY TO UNDERSTAND WHY IN ONE PLACE YOU ARE SAYING THAT ONLY MARRIAGE MATTERS SHOULD BE SEEN FROM THE NAVAMSHA CHART.

AGAIN, LATER YOU SAY OR AGREE THAT OTHER MATTERS LIKE SPIRITUAL PROVISIONS SHOULD BE SEEN FROM NAVAMSHA?-----IS NOT UNDERSTOOD.

SPIRITUAL PROVISIONS ARE SEEN PROPERLY FROM THE VIMSHAMSA.

I SEE MUCH CONFUSION IN YOUR MIND AND WOULD LIKE TO REQUEST YOU BOTH TO JOIN THE VEDIC ASTROLOGY CLASSES IN THE FORUM FOR PROPER UNDERSTANDING OF THE SUBJECT YOU ARE STILL CONFUSED ABOUT.

BEST OF LUCK LEARNING,

RISHIRAHUL[/quote]

Nechi

Navamsa

Post by Nechi » Fri Oct 12, 2007 4:45 pm

Hi Rishirahul,
Thank you for advising me (and Agnihotriji) to learn astrology in your forum (which is filled with mostly questions and comments) for our opinion that navamsa need not be considered while studying all aspects of life. You as moderator can simply insert a general remark that anybody with a different opinion than yours should learn astrology in your forum.

We consider vargottama to know the strength of the planet and judge the matter taking into consideration only the rasi.
vishnukumar45

Return to “Vedic Astrology”