light and sound machines

Learn meditation techniques to relax and improve your own thought processes.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

Wild Divine

light and sound machines

Post by Wild Divine » Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:05 am

I would like to know you guys' opinion in using light and sound machines (e.g. http://www.mindmachines.com/RelaxationS ... index.html ).

I don't deny that these machines works for some people to go into the alpha level (or even deeper) but does this rob the practitioners of meditation the discipline and patient inculcated if you do this naturally?  

I have nothing against these machines but it's just like this country's fastfood mentality, everyone wants shorcuts. You're sick, you take a pill; you're hungry, you go to the drive-thru; you want to meditate, you hook up a machine.
The Mind Knows No Limits Aside From Those It Accepts

swetha
Site Admin

Post by swetha » Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:04 pm

i understand what u mean... we live in such a rat race that if u dont catch up u get left behind.. i guess thats one reason people depend on artificial modes.

Samson

Post by Samson » Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:11 pm

Don't they also use light and sound machines in Discos?

zastrox

Post by zastrox » Sun Jun 17, 2007 11:31 pm

Ok I know this is an old post but just in case someone stumbles across this thread and wants to know more i have posted this...

Forget the light side of things and stick with the audio. I find that the goggles can give you a bitching headache and some can be cumbersome which can cause a sore neck and bridge of the nose. Also if you are even slightly epileptic it can trigger fits. Audio can also reach frequencies that light can't. You see we get used to the frequencies and need to change them. Light only goes so far and then it is pretty much useless. Sound surpasses it and if you keep using BB* you can naturally achieve deep states of meditation without even using the audio. Trust me sitting quietly with a set of headphones on and clearing your mind for an hour is a lot less stressful than having a lightshow throbbing in your face.

Well depending on what you want I would recommend the following:

SBaGen -- Binaural Beat Brain Wave Experimenter's Lab

http://uazu.net/sbagen/

It is freeware and very good for a start in the field of BB. You can give it a go and see if it works for you. Some people find that BB have absolutely no effect (although it is and they cant perceive it) . Others (including myself but only for a second!!) have astral traveled.

Brainwave generator

http://www.bwgen.com/index.htm

It's shareware and there is a large user base who make various preset files that have various effects from meditation to allegedly simulating drug like experiences. If you want to spend a little money BG is better.

Holosync

http://www.centerpointe.com/holosync/

Ah holosync! A system which I feel is the best one you can pay for out there. It costs a lot but at the end of the day you get to meditate like a "zen monk". I have used the first level myself and found it quite a journey.

At the end of the day I believe that a balanced view is necessary. If you want to do a little more research on BB read this article on wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binaural_beats and then maybe follow a few of the links on the bottom of the page for further reference if you wish.
I don't deny that these machines works for some people to go into the alpha level (or even deeper) but does this rob the practitioners of meditation the discipline and patient inculcated if you do this naturally?  

I have nothing against these machines but it's just like this country's fastfood mentality, everyone wants shorcuts. You're sick, you take a pill; you're hungry, you go to the drive-thru; you want to meditate, you hook up a machine.
If you ever read this wild divine, I must disagree. I see BB as a great use of technology. If BB are used by people to meditate what is the worst that can happen. People will eventually become more focused, aware of their actions and surroundings, calm, introspective and  mindful. Oh the horror!!
:smt003 :smt003 :smt003

BB* Binaural Beats

sandraw

sound

Post by sandraw » Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:42 am

I did a search for holosync, as I have been using it for nearly 4 months now. I want to get the next level. I think it could be a short cut, but am not against that. I drive myc ar because it is faster than walking. :) And I dont beleive that just because i use sound to reach an alpha state that I am taking anything away from the benefits of a mantra or affirmations.

I'm a newbie at the whole thing but do enjoy it. I wouldnt stick with the traditional meditations but have and will continue with holosync.

Javant

Post by Javant » Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:19 pm

I've just downloaded a couple of pieces of software. Neuro Programer 2 and Brainwave Generator (both on trial period) which allow you to make your own light and sound sessions.  Just wondering whether there is any real difference to custom built meditations or the more expensive CDs such as holosync , Centerpointe and Mind Tek products....

I've also heard that Binaural beats are less effective than monaural beats....
Why not use just Binaural Beats?

Binaural beats have become very popular over the years, so much so that for many people the idea of "brainwave entrainment" is inseparable from them. But there are many other ways to stimulate the brain, many of which are more effective.

We use more methods than just binaural beats for many reasons:

1) Binaural beats require headphones or special speaker assignments. This can be difficult for people who do not have headphones or find them uncomfortable.

2) Binaural beats are not capable of entraining the Hemispheres individually (because they require BOTH ears). This can be a major disadvantage because many of the modern entrainment protocols used in clinical work today involve separate stimulation to each ear, useful for deeper meditation, cognitive enhancement and particularly for depression and ADD reduction.

3) Binaural beats are not as effective as more modern entrainment methods, though they do remain the most interesting. Dr. Gerald Oster, in the 1973 issue of "Scientific American", introduced binaural beats to the main stream. According to Oster, because of the way the brain processes binaural beats, the depth or intensity of the resulting "beat" is only around 3db, or 1/10th the volume of a whisper (which is why the "beats" are usually so hard to detect). He concluded that binaural beats produced very small evoked potentials within the auditory cortex of the brain, while monaural beats and other methods produced far greater potentials.

Return to “Meditation and Mind Improvement”