BUDDHIST WISDOM

Spiritual mysticism for mystics and magical topics of any kind.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

Pravin Kumar

BUDDHIST WISDOM

Post by Pravin Kumar » Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:19 am

'I have sons, I have wealth'-- the fool torments himself. When even he himself doesn't belong to himself, how then sons? How wealth? A fool with a sense of his foolishness is--at least to that extent--wise. But a fool who thinks himself wise really deserves to be called a fool.

- Dhammapada, 5, translated by Thanissaro Bhikkhu.

It is easy to keep things at a distance. It is harder to be aloof of them.

- Bunan

This robe of freedom from cold isn't matched by ordinary clothes. This concentration free of hunger is unequaled by ordinary meat and beer. This draught at the stream of enlightenment isn't matched by ordinary drink. This satisfaction born within isn't equaled by ordinary treasure.

- Milarepa, "Drinking the Mountain Stream"

Zen is your original face; there is no special Zen to study other than this. And there is nothing to see or hear eitherthe totality of this seeing and hearing is Zen; outside of Zen, no other seeing or hearing can be found.

- Ming-pen

Develop a meditation that is like water. Doing this, you will find that the thoughts and impressions that possess you will flow away. Just as people wash away their body liquids, their sweat and spittle, pus and blood, and yet the water is not troubled or disgusted--so this water meditation will bring you peace.

- Majjhima Nikaya

Abandon wrongdoing. It can be done. If there were no likelihood, I would not ask you to do it. But since it is possible and since it brings blessing and happiness, I do ask of you: abandon wrongdoing. Cultivate doing good. It can be done. If it brought deprivation and sorrow, I would not ask you to do it. But since it brings blessing and happiness, I do ask of you: cultivate doing good.

- Anguttara Nikaya

Return to “Spirituality”