IMPORTANT QUOTES AND HINDU AND MUSLIM WISDOM, HEALTH QUOTES

The word "Philosophy" is derived from the Ancient Greek - philosophía (compounded from phílos: friend, or lover and sophía: wisdom). To quote from WikiPedia, "Philosophy is the discipline concerned with the questions of what is the right way to live (ethics), what sorts of things ultimately exist and what are their essential natures (metaphysics), what is to count as genuine knowledge (epistemology), and what are the correct principles of reasoning (logic).

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

Pravin Kumar

IMPORTANT QUOTES AND HINDU AND MUSLIM WISDOM, HEALTH QUOTES

Post by Pravin Kumar » Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:54 am

IMAGINATION
"I shut my eyes in order to see." -- Paul Gauquin

"There is a boundary to men’s passions when they act from feelings; but none when they are under the influence of imagination." -- Edmund Burke

"Where there is an open mind, there will always be a frontier." -- Charles F. Kettering

"I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world." -- Albert Einstein
FOLLOW YOUR PASSION
Many of us are afraid to follow our passions, to pursue what we want most because it means taking risks and even facing failure. But to pursue your passion with all your heart and soul is success in itself. The greatest failure is to have never really tried.

Robyn Allan

We may affirm absolutely that nothing great in the world has been accomplished without passion.

Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel

As the web issues out of the spider And is withdrawn, as plants sprout from the earth, As hair grows from the body, even so, The sages say, this universe springs from The deathless Self, the source of life. The deathless Self meditated upon Himself and projected the universe As evolutionary energy. From this energy developed life, mind, The elements, and the world of karma, Which is enchained by cause and effect.

- Mundaka Upanishad

God is in the water of the lake; he is also in the cracked bed of the lake, when the lake has dried up. God is in the abundant harvest; he is also in the famine that occurs when the harvest fails. God is in the lightning; he is also in the darkness, when the lightning has faded.... Brothers and sisters, you pile up stones to make shrines, imagining that God will make himself present there. Then you are surprised when these shrines do not ease your cares and worries.

- Hallaj, "Tawasin

But those who fail to realize my true nature must be reborn. Those who worship the devas will go to the realm of the devas; those who worship their ancestors will be united with them after death. Those who worship phantoms will become phantoms; but my devotees will come to me.

- Bhagavad Gita 9:24-25

Allah accepts repentance, as long as it is not at the time of death.

- The Prophet Muhammad (SAW), as reported by Ibn Umar

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.

- Albert Camus

Reflect on your present blessings, of which every man has many; not on your past misfortunes, of which all men have some.

- Charles Dickens
To be seventy years young is sometimes far more cheerful and hopeful than to be forty years old.

- Parker Schaeffer

Nothing worth doing is completed in our lifetime, Therefore, we are saved by hope. Nothing true or beautiful or good makes complete sense in any immediate context of history; Therefore, we are saved by faith. Nothing we do, however virtuous, can be accomplished alone. Therefore, we are saved by love. No virtuous act is quite as virtuous from the standpoint of our friend or foe as from our own; Therefore, we are saved by the final form of love which is forgiveness.

- Reinhold Niebuhr

Return to “Philosophy”