DAILY HINDU WISDOM

The word "Philosophy" is derived from the Ancient Greek - philosophía (compounded from phílos: friend, or lover and sophía: wisdom). To quote from WikiPedia, "Philosophy is the discipline concerned with the questions of what is the right way to live (ethics), what sorts of things ultimately exist and what are their essential natures (metaphysics), what is to count as genuine knowledge (epistemology), and what are the correct principles of reasoning (logic).

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

prasanna

DAILY HINDU WISDOM

Post by prasanna » Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:24 am

Hindu quotes and stories

"In the Vedas, saints and holy people are compared to trees, which give charity to everyone. Trees never complain, but freely give fruit, shade from the sun, shelter from the storm and even their own bodies for fuel."

From Creation: A Story from Ancient India, retold by Rasamandala Das, Aldenham, ISKCON Educational Services 2005.

"There is enough for everyone's need, but not for their greed." Mahatma Gandhi.

"A certain degree of physical harmony and comfort is necessary, but above a certain level it becomes a hindrance instead of a help. Therefore the ideal of creating an unlimited number of wants and satisfying them seems to be a delusion and a snare." Mahatma Gandhi

"Live in the world like an ant. The world contains a mixture of truth and untruth, sugar and sand. Be an ant and take the sugar." Ramakrishna. Taken from Teachings of the Hindu Mystics by Andrew Harvey.

Here is a Hindu story about a cobbler who was once visited by a great teacher.

“I have just been to see Vishnu,” said the teacher. “And he thought you might have some questions.” The cobbler’s mind went blank; but he dredged up a question. “What was Vishnu doing when you saw him?” he asked at last. “He was threading an elephant through the eye of a needle,” came the answer. “Oh yes. Only Vishnu could do that!” the cobbler laughed.

”Surely you don’t believe it,” said the teacher, “I was just teasing.” “But why can’t he?” asked the cobbler, picking up a seed from beneath the banyan tree that was shading them. “Inside this seed is a tree as big as this one. If Vishnu can squeeze a whole banyan tree into such a tiny seed, then surely he can thread an elephant through the eye of a needle.” And the teacher realised that this was a wise man because he could see the hand of God in everything.

From Ranchor Prime, Hinduism and Ecology. London: Cassell, 1992. Page 2

"There is an old story about a serpent called Kaliya who lived five thousand years ago. He had many heads and his poison polluted the River Yamuna, killing trees, birds and fish. Krishna dived into the river and danced on Kaliya's many hoods, dodging the snake's sharp teeth. After a fierce battle, Krishna defeated Kaliya and sent him into exile near the island of Fiji."

From Creation: A Story from Ancient India, retold by Rasamandala Das, Aldenham, ISKCON Educational Services 2005. See too details of the project by Friends of Vrindavan to clean up the Yamuna river, with reference to this Kaliya serpent myth

ARC site map
© ARC, The House, Kelston Park, Bath BA1 9AE, UK
tel +44 (0)1225 758 004

tourbi

Post by tourbi » Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:57 pm

Thank you for sharing.  I appreciate it. Image

Please understand something.  Respect shown and given to someone is appropriate, whether the person is 103, 63, or 3.  I respect the effort to share and bring something to the forums that touches the sharer so deeply they want to share with others.  They put forth effort and a piece of themselves.  When shared in love and care like you do, with the respect you show, for ME, you deserve to be given respect in return.  Here is the country of my birth and ancestry, we show it by saying sir or ma'am.  
To be honored and shown respect is a gift.  Please, I hope you can accept the gift of respect when given, it is not meant to offend, it is given in care and respect and regard to you, or to others to whom it is given.  I respect you and it is part of who I am to pay respect to people I respect.   ImageImage

prasanna

Post by prasanna » Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:29 am

dear tourbiji  (quote)=  To be honored and shown respect is a gift.  Please, I hope you can accept the gift of respect when given, it is not meant to offend, it is given in care and respect and regard to you, or to others to whom it is given.  I respect you and it is part of who I am to pay respect to people I respect.

The above lines touched my heart , i respect and regard your heart , i thank u now for this , and i thank my Ista devathas for bringing me this sort of respect for me from my tourbiji, and i  am now motivated to post more articles on HINDUISM , at the same  time  i regard and respect other religions too , so i wish i should write some from others'.

My favorite king in Indian history is  , AKBAR THE GREAT , WHILE READING ABOUT HIM IN MY HISTORY BOOKS , I THINK MYSELF , HE IS REALLY THE GREATEST.

i WISH EVERY HUMAN SHOULD BEHAVE LIKE THE GREAT AKBAR,  so that there wont be  any  enmity among all religions., and peace should prevail all over the universe.

with love and respect
prasanna

Rohiniranjan

Post by Rohiniranjan » Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:17 pm

[quote="prasanna"]...My favorite king in Indian history is  , AKBAR THE GREAT , WHILE READING ABOUT HIM IN MY HISTORY BOOKS , I THINK MYSELF , HE IS REALLY THE GREATEST.

i WISH EVERY HUMAN SHOULD BEHAVE LIKE THE GREAT AKBAR,  so that there wont be  any  enmity among all religions., and peace should prevail all over the universe...prasanna[/quote]

Dear Prasanna,

Since you have shown me love and respect befitting an elder brother, I must make you aware to a reality! There are a lot of very proud Rajasthanis and Rajputs who do not look upon that time in history in the 'glorified' goodie goodie version that most of us Hindustanis away from Rajasthan or the Rajput experience have been taught to feel.

The recent movie, Jodha Akbar has brought some strong sentiments out which were never stated clearly earlier but are important and must be heeded to.

There has been a lot of controversy about the Europeanized version of Indian history (the indus valley civilization, the saraswathi river etc).

I used to admire Akbar for what he is stated to have done and deen-ai-elahi-- possibly the first interfaith attempt made by an invading culture and religion in India. All that is great but perhaps not COMPLETE. Since we are talking about MOVIES, I still recall that scene in Mughal-e-azam in which Anaar-Qali was sealed off behind brick and mortar (literally) for daring to fall in love with the Mughal Prince of Wales (analogically!). Interesting contrast with Duke of Windsor who fell in love with a commoner! The horoscopes are in Raman's 300 Notable Nativities if you are interested...

Love, Light and Levity...

Return to “Philosophy”