Which Book are u reading at the Moment???

Have you recently read a good book which you would recommend to others? Have you come across a book which put you to sleep? Discuss and review the book here.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

Rhutobello

Post by Rhutobello » Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:58 pm

9999,9999 % of all big movies are based on book....for the rest the book is made as fast as possible :)

swetha
Site Admin

Post by swetha » Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:25 am

i have started reading Bloodline by sidney sheldon once again

vitaloo

Running with Scissors

Post by vitaloo » Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:45 am

I'm reading this for my book club at my local library and it really stinks.. they have a movie out too and if it's as slow moving as this stupid book is boy oh boy ...................  :smt015

I really enjoy reading Gilbert Morris books but havent' read one lately

Lynne
Lynne

Intestine Bondage

Post by Intestine Bondage » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:11 am

Ruhto you exaggerate greatly.
The book I'm reading for school is Tuedays With Morrie.
And from it I have created a quote. 'I am the laughter when the devil is within earshot.'
Satisfaction comes in many forms and colors. Find what appeals to you and go for it.

Runescrafts

Post by Runescrafts » Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:28 am

The Golden Bough
Book of Shadows
Rites Of Odin

yes Im reading the three...
"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."

MBMurphy99

Post by MBMurphy99 » Tue May 01, 2007 5:56 pm

Love his books.  Took me over 5 years to eat hamburger out of my own house afterToxic or was it Toxin?

rts221

Post by rts221 » Sun May 13, 2007 4:09 pm

hello. i am rachael the sensible and i am reading lots of books. every day i read some of the Bible and normally aloud. just finished the Gnostic Gospels and absolutely MESMERIZED by The Bible Code.
Up The Loonies ?!
(you know it makes sense)

rts221

books

Post by rts221 » Sun May 13, 2007 4:11 pm

one of the greatest proverb i've ever heard is
'open a book and you are profited'
sensible
blessed be
Up The Loonies ?!
(you know it makes sense)

EarlofLeicester

Post by EarlofLeicester » Sun May 13, 2007 11:52 pm

Vishwas wrote:
flight _of_angelwings wrote:You do like it?   I havent seen it...lots of action?...Maybe I should hire it tomorrow I feel like a good movie!

There is some action, but more importantly I liked the IDEA behind the movie, "People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." & "Freedom! Forever!".

& Hugo Weaving's performance is excellent, he delivers some of the hardest lines with incredible charisma. I just love his performance in the movie.

I would highly recommend you to watch this movie. I just read somewhere else that this is an adaptation of a novel of the same name by Alan Moore, who actually disinherited the movie.

But still the movie is made by The Wachowski Brothers, the very same ones who gave us the Matrix Trilogy.

Well after telling this to you, I feel like going home & seeing the movie again, to re-live the experience again. It certainly is a fantastic movie.
V for Vendetta is based on the DC/Vertico Graphic Novel from the early 80's which took place in the future of the late 1990's.  It was... er... is seriously good comic book stuff, and the cinematic adaptation was equally good, despite author Alan Moore's comments.  Mr. Moore was a co-writer with David Lloyd.

Vish is 100% right on with the assessment.  Hugo Weaving does a great job, which is a tribute to the actor because he certainly can't rely on facial gestures for non-verbal communication.  On the basis of Hugo Weaving's  acting alone, the movie succeeds incredibly.  Natalie Portman's portrayal of a Brit is not bad, but Keira Knightley (who actually is British) would have been more convincing in the role.

The IDEA that Vish touches base upon is done very well in the movie with V as its Champion, although sometimes the movie feels like a movie in that there is rhetoric but not enough atmosphere of oppression, which was more present in the very somber Children of Men which was a very convincing and miserable Britain indeed.  But because it is a comic book adaptation, it is atmosphere enough, and I am just nit picking.  I have seen  the V movie several times, Children of Men only once.  A great movie to be sure!
The fool who fancies he is full of wisdom while he sits by his hearth at home.
Quickly finds when questioned by others that he knows nothing at all.
- The Havamal, verse 26

Sabisha

Post by Sabisha » Fri May 25, 2007 7:56 pm

I am reading "Toxic Bachelors" by Danielle Steel. I love this book!

LibB

Post by LibB » Sat May 26, 2007 3:32 am

My Mum is moving and so she has given me some of her books from her childhood and some others. In there was "The Railway Children" I started reading it and even though I couldn't really understand the English language of that time, I continued to read the book. I found it hard to put down and as soon as I had the chance would be reading it again. I haven't read a book from cover to cover for a long time. I maybe read a book this way once a year or 1 in two years. This beautiful book has given me the reading bug again and I finished this on in about 4 days. Amazing. :smt003

Flame haired one

Post by Flame haired one » Sat May 26, 2007 4:50 am

Anything that is done by Nora Roberts or her alter ego J.D. Robb....

Just finished her latest and now into school books...ugh.
It is the eye of ignorance that assigns a fixed and unchangeable color to every object; beware of this stumbling block.

Lhna28

Post by Lhna28 » Sat May 26, 2007 9:56 am

Im reading dancing with the devil - survival for healers and therapists by david ashworth.

EarlofLeicester

Post by EarlofLeicester » Sat May 26, 2007 10:36 am

Can't read just one book at a time, lol.  Currently reading The Vikings: Voyagers of Discovery and Plunder by Magnus Magnusson et al, Medieval Warfare by Peter Reid, and Dragons of the Dwarven Depths by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman.  The first book is generously sprinkled with full color pics, heavy stock paper and has some interesting facts about the Viking people that you don't always get in general discussions.  A worthy addition to anyone's Norse library.  The second book is a bit dry but discusses the behind the scenes details in how war was waged in medieval times and the role of government (not just the sovereign leader, i.e. king) in financing and making it happen.  In the USA we are taught kings=bad, blah, blah, but the power of the kind was not absolute even as far back as 700 years ago in England.  Parliamentary support made or broke a King's foreign policy.  (Actually we have a king these days in the USA these days, too, when you really get down to it...) The last book is heroic fantasy in the DragonLance universe written in the era of the War of the Lance (taking place between Chronicles I and II).  So much has been written in the DragonLance universe, but the best (in my mind) is back in the beginning with the classic heroes (and not so heroic) like Tanis, Sturm and Raistlin, and they are all there.  A fun romp through the series that was the LOTR of my generation.
Last edited by EarlofLeicester on Sun May 27, 2007 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Spiritboxer

Post by Spiritboxer » Sun May 27, 2007 8:00 am

"Treasure of Kahn" by Clive Cussler. Another fun adventure novel from the master..... :smt027
Carlos

Return to “Book Review And Discussion”