TODAYS VEGETABLE-BROCCOLI

If health is wealth, then surely beauty is what reflects it.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

prasanna

TODAYS VEGETABLE-BROCCOLI

Post by prasanna » Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:26 pm

BROCOLI  is packed with vitamins and substances that have proven to be beneficial in the prevention and treatment of many diseases.

BROCOLI,a not so appealing vegetable for many adults and children.The name comes from the latin word brachium which means "branch " or "arm".Consumption of this has increased over 940% over the last 25 years of it's essential health qualities. I t is tremendously popular in Chinese , Japane I talian , American cuisines.

VARIETIES:-

calabrese,  the most familiar with large greeen heads and thick stalks

Romanesco    brocoli , yellow-green in color with distinctive fractal apperance of its heads.

Sprouting   brocoli   large number of heads with many thin stalks

White and purple varieties are also available in some places.

BUYING TIPS:-

THE BEST BROCOLI   will have dark green tops with lighter green stems

Buds  should be tightly closed , with no mushy spots or signs of yellowing

The stalks should feel firm and crisp never limp or wobbbly

STORAGE:-

I t can stay fresh for 2 weeks if u store them in refrigerator without washing it  dry and tightly warpingin a palstic bag. Do not store them longer it will loose its nutrients .

second alternative method is frozen Brocoli

COOKING KNOW-HOW

iT SHOULD ONLY BE BOILED OR STEAMED VERY BRIEFLY

Frozen proves good when added to pasta sauces , topped with lemon juice and black  for steaming or serves as side with cheese . It works well on Pizzas added to salads , simmered in soups , backed in a caseROLES  or tossed in salad or mixed into your favoRITE pasta..And dont throw away the stalks . Try shredding   it and substituting it for its cousin the cabbage in your favorable COLESLAW receipe .

MEDICAL VALUE:-

iT HAS NO OF MEDICAL VALUES , LET ME CONTINUE TOMOROW THE BENEFITS OF BRACOLI AND SOME OF ITS RECEIPES

As i feel sleepy now i could not type more , so please wait until morning

bi  from

prasanna

P.S .  ANY GUEES ABOUT TOMOROW'S VEGETABLE ?

tourbi

Post by tourbi » Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:35 pm

I love Broccoli.  YUM YUM.  ImageImage
Thank you Prasanna!!Image

prasanna

Post by prasanna » Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:12 pm

thanks tourbi , i too love brocoli ,this i always use with soup preparations and steaming and half boiling .

let me go to bed , see u tomo row , now my time here is 11.20 pm

with love
prasanna

Rohiniranjan

Post by Rohiniranjan » Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:58 am

[quote="prasanna"]thanks tourbi , i too love brocoli ,this i always use with soup preparations and steaming and half boiling .

let me go to bed , see u tomo row , now my time here is 11.20 pm

with love
prasanna[/quote]

I heard from my doctor that too much broccoli (and cauliflower) can be bad for thyroid (these have some chemicals which reduce thyroid functioning) and can make the metabolism go down and make one sleepy :-(

She (my doc) was not joking from what I could tell...

prasanna

Post by prasanna » Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:45 am

dear ranjan da,

quote=I heard from my doctor that too much broccoli (and cauliflower) can be bad for thyroid (these have some chemicals which reduce thyroid functioning) and can make the metabolism go down and make one sleepy :-(

She (my doc) was not joking from what I could tell...

You are always rite ,I do agree , too much  of  anything is adverse to health , and more over , i too know these types of cabage , cauliflower and broccoli are very dangerous to high thyroid people, i know the fatty people , with thyroid should avoid these leafy vegetables, i have seen the doctor telling my uncle to avoid cabage , as he sufferes from throid and he undergoes medication and he is the permanent user of thyroxin  when ever he stops throxin he faces more problems .    MOOLy too comes under this list.

Please read the medical values of broccoli which i plan to post today , then u will find answer to your doctor's statement . In the medical side , i write posts after knowing the bad effects and causes anything clearly , so i appreciate u asking more questions in this thread, as i want more clasrifications in vedic forum   from u .In my total family and in  my friends circle , people come to me for medical querries , and i used to clarify their doubts from the past 10 years , i do this with service motive , i visit doctors with more doubts , i never fear to ask questions to doctors , some times my husband gets more anger over  this act of mine , but all my doctors used to praise and
appreciate my knowldge and advices me to get one ceritfication in this medical field ,, and iam now thinking of doing some course , but finds it difficult due  to time constraints , please bear with  my typing errors and grammar

I warn young girls after marriage to be careful with this thyroid problem , as they may face the problem of child birth due to this thyriod inbalance , as my younger sister faced the problem of late issue for  more than 4  years and she underwent variuos treatment , and at last with GOD's grace , she foud rite treatment for this thyroid , she underwent the throid treatment with the famous doctor in chennai  mr. selvaraj , who is husband of our famous lady doctor ,mrs Kamala selvaraj, (daughter of famous cine

actor   late sri Gemini ganesan) . SHe is world famous for her advance IVF method reproduction  techology , i think u might have come ac

ross her achievements in this field . My sister is now the mother of  lovely twins (one girl and one boy)of 9 years old .

Return to “Health And Beauty”