How do you identify dyed crystals/stones?

Discuss how to use crystals and gemstones as a form of spiritual healing, and for harnessing spiritual energy.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

purplewiccakitty

How do you identify dyed crystals/stones?

Post by purplewiccakitty » Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:19 am

Does anyone know how to identify dyed stones? I have and odd collection of crystals, slices, and other odd bits I have acumulated for a few years (small purchases, gifts, etc.) I would not guess that they all are naturaly colored, some are obiously died, but others are a toss up. Please help.

Gem

Post by Gem » Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:57 am

Hi,

Usually the stone is still quite easy to identify even if dyed. Do you have any pics? The most usually dyed stones are agates :)

agianto

Dyeing Detection

Post by agianto » Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:54 pm

Dyeing is done on gems that are porous, have natural fractures or induced fractures (quench crackling).

The detection of dyed porous gems: usually is by looking for the accumulations of dye on surface defect such as a fracture.
The detection of dyed naturally fractured gems:
Colored oil in emerald and ruby is by examining the gems in diffused transmitted lighting and look for color concentration around fractures.
Infilled glass or polymer in ruby is by observing the surface luster (the glass/polymer has lower lustre).
The detection of quench crackled gems is by magnification (seeing the color network).

Of course there are some that would need basic gemological instruments such as a spectroscope or a color filter.

luna32

Post by luna32 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:38 am

Hi Gem, may I please ask a question? What does a tumbled crystal mean?  A good majority of my crystals are tumbled  and have often thought what did that mean.  Thankyou very much :)
life is magical :)

agianto

Tumbled Crystal?!

Post by agianto » Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:12 am

A tumbled crystal (or stone) is a crystal (or stone) that has been polished by usually a rotary tumbling process – a process which imitated the action of a natural flowing river.  It is a mass polishing method in which enough crystals are put in a barrel together with enough water, grit and polishing compound and then rotated by a motor.
Joy to the World!

healinghands

Post by healinghands » Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:42 pm

Some are obvious, others are not. If you have agates that are in blues, teals, green, pink, purple, they are obviously dyed.

Howlite is often dyed too, yellow, pink, blue, green etc. and is often passed as turquoise.

Crackled quartz is also dyed.

Others are done so subtly that you need high magnification, intimate knowledge, or special testing to tell.

Of course then there is heat treating, chemical bonding, and lab grown crystals to consider too.

If you have clear pictures we could help you identify them.
The Other Side of the Sun - Earth's Treasures Brought To Light

agianto

Agates

Post by agianto » Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:11 am

It is true that agates in blues, teals, green, pink, purple are mostly dyed. But they do exist naturally also. For more info, please visit: http://www.gem.org.au/galleryf.htm
Joy to the World!

firetopaz

Post by firetopaz » Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:04 am

I love to make jewelry using the healing power of various semi-precious stones.  Some poor grade stones are dyed the color they should be...like citrine can be clear with very light yellow spots in it, or it will not have consistent color  through the bead so they will dye it yellow so it looks good.

crystalhealer1

Post by crystalhealer1 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:03 pm

Most dyed stones are easy to recognize once you have seen enough natural ones.  However, sometimes the natural stones can exhibit colors that are so amazing someone may think that they are dyed.  The best way to be sure that you buy only natural stones is to do your research and buy form a reputable source.
Certified Crystal Healer Ashley Dalke
http://mysticboard.org/vi ... hp?t=45883

Return to “Crystal Healing”