Part One - The Major Arcana - 0

Under this forum The Tarot Professor can and will be able to set the students assignments and homework. Which then must be submitted back here itself. This forum can be accessed only by MysticBoard.com Members.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123, TarotModerator

Gem

Post by Gem » Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:33 pm

Hi Lavirgo, Welcome

Thanks for your views :) Are you using the rider waite tarot?

lavirgo

Post by lavirgo » Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:48 am

hi  :)   ive just discovered this site hehe, and enjoying myself here.  

yes, a few months ago i brought me a Rider Waite Deck.  I normally use the mythic tarot, but decided i would try out one of the most popular decks.

Gem

Post by Gem » Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:32 pm

Well you can use both together, as long as we know, Its a lovely site too I think :)

ellis

The Fool

Post by ellis » Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:59 pm

As depicted in the Gilded Tarot and a stark difference between all the other Rider-Waite decks. For me the fool represents barnd new beginnings and being drawn along a path by a hunch or intuition. The warning is always look before you leap whilst it also suggests taking a leap of faith so some contradiction there. In the Gilded tarot shown below, this fool is totally care free, a little smug if you like with many skills of an entertainer the typical court jester.

I dont like this image of the fool so much as the original Rider-Waite which shows the little dog and the cliffs edge. The dog seems always to represent a warning - be careful - look first - slow down - yet the fool continues without a care in the world.
Attachments
fool.jpg
fool.jpg (18.49 KiB) Viewed 2038 times
I believe that one can have a personal, spiritual relationship with God without practicing religion

Gem

Post by Gem » Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:15 pm

Yep the Gilded Fool seems to have almost a sinister quality, more like a joker than the fool and innocence, you are so right there :)  He seems to be juggling with all the signs of the zodiac as if they are lives?

George

Re: The Santa Fe Tarot Deck The Fool "Rainboy"

Post by George » Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:24 pm

George wrote:Here is a picture of the Santa Fe deck's The Fool (Rainboy) for those who like to see him.  :smt006

Like most i didn't get much from this card or deck. Which is why after i bought them, took them home, and opened them; they got put away and never touched again!  :smt018  I found the price that i paid for the deck and it was only $5.99.  They were own clearence when i bought them.  :smt003

Here is what the book that came says about The Fool. Rainboy:

"Rainboy dances with snakes coming from his feet, showing he travels to many unusual places. He holds crooked lightning in one hand and a wand in the other to give him power and vision. From the wand hand dangle rattles which grant him jow and dreams. Guardian bats protect him, having saved him once from his parents' wrath, and theyflank a barred rainbow headdress with many msall corn people showing Rainboy's ability to please and entertain, and yet, because the headress does not actually touch Rainboy, his dreams may be distant."

Its Divinatory Meanings:

"Thoughlessness. Folly. Extravagance. Lack of discipline. Immaturity. Irratinality. Insecurity. Frivolity, Delirium. Frenzy. Enthrusiasm. Naivety."

Reversed meaning:

"Bad decision. Indecision. Apathy. Hesitation. Negligence."
Common sense dictates there is no such thing as common sense.

chrisdee

Post by chrisdee » Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:59 pm

Hi George i can follow the story on the card and associate it to the card as its written but the meanings although out of the book don't to me come to mind when i look at the card I know I'm only learning but i think a lot of card designers don't  know how to put words in to the cards if you've been interpreting these cards you will find the Waite deck really easy

George

Post by George » Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:37 pm

chrisdee wrote:Hi George i can follow the story on the card and associate it to the card as its written but the meanings although out of the book don't to me come to mind when i look at the card I know I'm only learning but i think a lot of card designers don't  know how to put words in to the cards if you've been interpreting these cards you will find the Waite deck really easy
I agree about the meanings!   :smt014  There just no connection for me either. although, the symbolism of the card and its story was very intresting.   :smt115  i find indian folk lore an intresting read!  :smt020
Common sense dictates there is no such thing as common sense.

Gem

Post by Gem » Sat Mar 17, 2007 11:15 am

heehee now this is one clear example of why tarot teachers use the Rider Waite? We will be working through how to use other decks and how their imagery relates. I think its important that after any tarot course you can go on to read any deck that you wish.

Nice point about the learning about other cultures, a lot of the Ancient Egyptian decks give great information that helps with the understanding that culture and so to do decks like the Medicine Woman Deck and The Native American Deck.

*Star*

Re: 0 - The Fool

Post by *Star* » Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:12 pm

Gem wrote: Image
The first thing i noticed was that ...its a very beautiful card!

A young boy is on a journey,( he is carrying something), looking up in the air and not noticing that he is standing on the edge of the cliff, one step forward and he will fall,  its a risky adventure, and he is unaware.

although it shows danger, its the most attractive card in teh deck. perhaps, its worth taking the chance.

Gem

Post by Gem » Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:07 pm

Yep Star I tend to agree. its the blessing of innocence.. the start of a journey, the beginning of the tarot :)

MissEm

Post by MissEm » Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:00 am

When I look at the Fool (from the Mythic deck), I see an excited, youthful boy coming out of a cave and just about to step off the cliff's edge.

I look the card like he's been kept in the dark and perhaps not allowed out and now, finally, in his early adulthood, he's out in the world.  He's excited and wants everything before him at once and with careless or reckless abandonment will go after it without thinking of consequences.  Like some people who make decsions without thinking them through or perhaps not caring of the outcomes other than getting their way or getting what they want.

(I havent discovered how to add the pic yet- Sorry!)
O    O
   oo
**___**

Gem

Post by Gem » Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:49 am

No problem, I see you did on the next one :) thanks

luv2pur

The Fool

Post by luv2pur » Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:26 pm

The tarot learn software says this is the meaning:

This signifies the beginning of a new journey. It may be physical, spiritual or mental in nature. This is the time for new beginnings, ventures and adventures. Good time for making investments. But you also need to be careful and think twice before taking any decision.
New Beginnings, Birth, Innocence, Carefree, Unknown, Possibilities, Spontaneity,

This was my original thoughts on it:

0 - The Fool - Nieve, careless, care free, childlike, blind journey.

So I think when used in a spread that the meaning will lie somewhere in the middle depending on its placement....meaning if it was in the future position i think it would mean that be careful and think things thru before you start the journey you are about to take...whatever that may be..

Gem

Post by Gem » Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:41 pm

Thats a brilliant start. Spot on :)  Well done :)

I will say one word though, Perhaps you are trying too hard. The way that we are learning here is the intuitive method. So its what the cards mean to you, look at the picture, and see what it means to you, not the softwares interpretation or other peoples or books, but what it means to you, your emotions, your feelings, perhaps you are afraid of cliffs and so The Fool makes you worried, perhaps you don't like dogs so the card makes you scared. Bond with the card and see what it means to you. The answer should come very easily if it doesnt move on to the next card and come back to it later :)

Return to “Tarot Homework”