Interpretation Of Page of Cups - Upright - Minor Arcana

The Rider Waite Tarot Deck - Discussion and cards explained.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123, TarotModerator

Tarot

Interpretation Of Page of Cups - Upright - Minor Arcana

Post by Tarot » Tue May 16, 2006 10:43 am

Page of Cups - Upright

Minor Arcana
You are a gentle, loving and caring person. This is time to be intuitive and intimate. You may be gifted with great foresight. You may be young at heart. This may be the beginning of a new relationship or birth of a child.

Let's hear your interpretation of the card...

Rhutobello

you might want to turn the picture around....but here is my

Post by Rhutobello » Sat Jul 08, 2006 9:46 am

upright understanding of the card:)

Here you see a young man, not yet adult, staying in a relaxed position, holding out the cup for you. In the background you can see the water that tells the element.
His cloth remind you about a painter and from this we can conclude he is artistic, he look thoughtful and that can give hint about poetry but he might also be a quiet person who is both kind and helpful. (he gives you the cup)
He is associated with youth which can tell both about new relations, birth or new abilities:)

Bhadra

Interpretation of Page of Cups - Upright - Minor Arcana

Post by Bhadra » Sat Jul 08, 2006 4:55 pm

in this card I see a young man, with a great sense of humor. He's between 13 to 22 years old. Dark hair and eyes. He has a lot of self confidence and is very intuitive. He comes bearing a gift or message...perhaps a letter that deals with the emotions, perhaps love, not always, but usually helps to clarify an emotional issue. On the other hand, this could be an aspect of the querent themselves..the archetype of our younger self...what are you saying to yourself?  He stands on the beach..on dry land..sands are always shifting and this indicates changing situations. He stands with his back to the water...water represents emotions...is there something you aren't looking at that you should? He holds out a cup and is looking at it. Well, are you going to take this proffered gift or not? It's your choice. The cup represents intuition, that deep well of knowing, it is the Chalice and so represents the Sacred Feminine...so it is a gift or message from Goddess.  A fish is jumping out of the chalice towards the page who is looking at it as if it is a pet . The fish is food...something that nourishes and unifies. The fish is also an ancient Christian symbol for spirit. What nourishes you emotionally and spiritually?

Lets look at the Page itself...historically, a page was a young man in the early stages of initiation into knighthood. Usually fostered out by his family in order to receive training that could better his circumstances in life. His function was to run errands, deliver dispatches...basically a runner, and to watch and learn. Very frequently pages knew every nook and cranny and secret passageway of a castle. They kept their eyes and ears open and thus became privy to a lot of information. The page learns from everyone, and is taught by not only the knights but the squires. They usually start their training in the kitchen, serving food...here is where we come back to the fish.  The page might also suggest a student in the early stages of initiation. Pages were also schooled in the skills of war, statesmanship and negotiation. Pages were frequently used to deliver lovenotes and sonnets between secret lovers. They were thus privy to a lot of intrigue and clandestine meetings. So they had to be trustworthy.

A Page of Cups upright might indicate a message from a younger person regarding a budding romance. It might also indicate a new relationship with a younger man who can be trusted to nourish your soul and offer a lot of growth.  

Let's take a look at his clothing. He wears the garb of early Rennaissance Italy. The time of Romeo and Juliet, possibly Venetian. His cap is sky blue...only royalty was allowed to wear blue so this is a Royal messenger. Sky blue represents spirit. It evokes a soothing feeling of peace..as if looking at a beautiful sky on a sunny day. In the center of his cap is the outline of a jewel, another sign of royalty and wealth..this indicates wealth. His undertunic is red and white striped...passionate spirituality. He wears an overtunic of a matching sky blue so the theme of spirit is continued. On his tunic are lotus blossoms...indicating the unfoldment of the spirit or consciousness through meditation. His stockings match his undertunic and his boots are of fine doehide, another sign of wealth.

There is a lot of symbolism in this card. Looking at the symbols helps to tell the story and give more information about the person, event, or message of the card or an indication of messages your higher self is trying to tell you.
I am determined to be cheerful and happy in whatever situation I find myself in. ...
-Martha Washington, America's First First Lady

Rhutobello

great!

Post by Rhutobello » Sat Jul 08, 2006 5:07 pm

Thx for this one.....looking forward to the rest of the deck...I will follow your interpretion of the rest with eager eyes and hope to manage a 1/10 of it.
Love it:)

Bhadra

Re: great!

Post by Bhadra » Sat Jul 08, 2006 10:34 pm

Rhutobello wrote:Thx for this one.....looking forward to the rest of the deck...I will follow your interpretion of the rest with eager eyes and hope to manage a 1/10 of it.
Love it:)
Thanks Rhutobello,  :smt006 what an interesting name! I will try not to disappoint you and sorry for going over your head. I am just learning a lot of things too and still don't understand 1/10th of it! LOL :smt002
I am determined to be cheerful and happy in whatever situation I find myself in. ...
-Martha Washington, America's First First Lady

cedars
Tarot reader

Page of Cups

Post by cedars » Wed May 02, 2007 8:34 pm

Hello Bhadra
Once again, I read your interpretation of the Page of Cups with great interest.  I don't mind the techy details, but your in-depth explanation of these cards is very inspiring, especially as I, like the rest of us, have difficulties with the court cards.

I did a 3-card daily reading for myself this morning and got the following cards.

The World
The Page of Cups
The Death Card

Now, whilst the cards look good to me (as far as my ability to read them), but if the 3-card reading means past, present and future - would it mean that the significance of the World card in all its goodness belongs to my past? Am I leaving behind all the good qualities of the World card? I don't mind the Page of Cups for my present and the future for the Death card - big changes coming - rebirth etc... but I am a bit worried that the World is being left behind in the past?

For a daily reading, the meaning of these cards is quite long-term sounding. How would I or should I interpret such a spread which was done for a 'daily guidance?

Appreciate if you - or anyone else in the forum - could enlighten me on these thoughts.

Thank you.

Return to “Rider Waite Tarot”