House Divisions in Vedic & Astrology Classics

For vedic astrology discussions and general questions.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123, RishiRahul

Vinay Jha

Re: House Divisions in Vedic

Post by Vinay Jha » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:30 pm

RishiRahul wrote:
Rohiniranjan wrote:
RishiRahul wrote:
Rohiniranjan wrote:
RishiRahul wrote:Dear Dada and Others,

I wanted an opinion regarding house cusps/divisions in Vedic.

Out of Porphyrys (Sripati) and Placidius house divisions which one would you favour?

Rishi
Sripathi is fine, although it is mathematically more approximate. Whole sign system works well, in general, although chalit is useful in older person. It seems sometimes that as we age, chalit becomes more useful as a side-glance (secondary consideration!)

Thanks about the Sripati bit. Will help me to choose more easily.

We seem to believe a lot of things about Chalit... Together!

Rishi
When two people independently arrive at similar observations and conclusions, the veracity is often weightier than parrots from a school!
Very correct and true....

But then, I wonder again that The Two have similar cornerstones (same initials).....RR. So their thinking may be similar.

Maybe everything is digitally correct, after all?!

Do you believe that when a chalit chart differs from a rasi chart, then the native should prepare for the chalit eventuality (as a secondary consideration only)?

Rishi

Rasi chart is the building block on whose basis all other charts and tables are constructed, including the bhaava chart (chalita).  Rasi chart should be used to compute aspects, friendships, house ownerships (as owners of cusps in bhaava chalita chart), exaltation &c, relations and yogas, etc. But Bhaava phala and Bhaavesha phala should always and solely be deduced from the Bhaava chalota chart, while bhaava chalita is constructed with the help of rasi chart among other things.

-VJ
Install JHora and set  'Preferences' >'Related to Calculations' >'Set Calcualation Options as recommended by Vinay Jha' for using Suryasiddhanta. OR
Download Kundalee: http://vedicastrology.wikidot.com/software-download

Rohiniranjan

Post by Rohiniranjan » Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:16 pm

Vinay Jha wrote: ...

Rasi chart is the building block on whose basis all other charts and tables are constructed, including the bhaava chart (chalita).  Rasi chart should be used to compute aspects, friendships, house ownerships (as owners of cusps in bhaava chalita chart), exaltation &c, relations and yogas, etc. But Bhaava phala and Bhaavesha phala should always and solely be deduced from the Bhaava chalota chart, while bhaava chalita is constructed with the help of rasi chart among other things.

-VJ
To add a 'note' to this matter, my observations have convinced me that often individuals respond to the whole sign house method (regardless of lagna sphuta) for first half (approximately) whereas with further advancing age, the chalit (sripati more than equal house system) seems to have greater influence/expression in appearance and bhav phal etc.

Light and Love and Learning
Rohiniranjan
========
JYO-LOGUE

RishiRahul
Astrology Reader

Post by RishiRahul » Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:24 pm

Rohiniranjan wrote:

-VJ
To add a 'note' to this matter, my observations have convinced me that often individuals respond to the whole sign house method (regardless of lagna sphuta) for first half (approximately) whereas with further advancing age, the chalit (sripati more than equal house system) seems to have greater influence/expression in appearance and bhav phal etc.

Which is why, for better accuracy, I desire to find out which is more perfect: porphyry or placidus.
Placidus not used the k.p way, but vedic.
And now sss!

Rishi

Rishi
RishiRahul.com
Astro-Palmist & Numerologist
Accurate timings & solutions to specific questions

Rohiniranjan

Post by Rohiniranjan » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:44 pm

RishiRahul wrote:
Rohiniranjan wrote:

-VJ

Which is why, for better accuracy, I desire to find out which is more perfect: porphyry or placidus.
And now sss!

Rishi

Rishi
Jyotishis, being human, are for the most part subservient to their charts, more or less. If the fourth house (contentment; santosh) is in turmoil -- the cat particularly the hungry one will be at unrest and jump at each movement, each new possibility and its pupils will dilate and go round and its fur stand out. If the cat is well-fed and satisfied, it will remain at rest, its eyes like a slit, and it shall remain mildly curious!

Comprendii?
Rohiniranjan
========
JYO-LOGUE

RishiRahul
Astrology Reader

Post by RishiRahul » Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:12 pm

Rohiniranjan wrote:
RishiRahul wrote:
Rohiniranjan wrote:

-VJ

And now sss!

Rishi

Rishi
Jyotishis, being human, are for the most part subservient to their charts, more or less. If the fourth house (contentment; santosh) is in turmoil -- the cat particularly the hungry one will be at unrest and jump at each movement, each new possibility and its pupils will dilate and go round and its fur stand out. If the cat is well-fed and satisfied, it will remain at rest, its eyes like a slit, and it shall remain mildly curious!

Comprendii?
Yes Dada,

I do comprehend.
The disturbance is elsewhere, kind of.

Let me explain:  Krishnamurthy takes the cusp as vedic bhavamadhya.
Its as simple as that.

This cusp/bhavamadhya is seen to give good results (regarding the bhava), when we take its star & sub.

Again there are many systems of house cusp, campanus, etc etc.
Out of which the porphyry system is the closest to krishnamurthy, and then sss took birth.
Not so much worried about sss now as sss will need time to prove its credibility.

Since I always believed, thru experience, that porphyry/sripati padhhati is correct.
Then later I found much sense in krishnamurthy/placidus; and Krishnamurthy aims/claims for more accuracy.

This made me realise that if we follow the K.P. method to find out the better between the two mentioned!

I know this is laborious, and needs very accurate birthtimes.

Rishi
RishiRahul.com

Rohiniranjan

Post by Rohiniranjan » Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:23 pm

RishiRahul wrote: ...
Its as simple as that.

This cusp/bhavamadhya is seen to give good results (regarding the bhava), when we take its star & sub.

Out of which the porphyry system is the closest to krishnamurthy, and then sss took birth.
Not so much worried about sss now as sss will need time to prove its credibility.

Since I always believed, thru experience, that porphyry/sripati padhhati is correct.
Then later I found much sense in krishnamurthy/placidus; and Krishnamurthy aims/claims for more accuracy.

This made me realise that if we follow the K.P. method to find out the better between the two mentioned!

Rishi

Rishi,

My understanding always has been that Krishnamurthy used Placidus cusps because in his 'day' Raphael's Tables of Houses was the dominant reference book (which then inspired Lahiri to publish his Tables of ascendants and houses later on, for the Jyotishis. Please remember that in those days there were no computers and many jyotishis did not have the knowledge to create horoscopes 'from scratch'!

Krishnamurthy used Placidus and also placed the cusp at the beginning of the KP houses for star and sub determination. Not bhava madhya. He never explained to my best recall why he chose to depart from the Jyotish norm of Sripati/Equal House/Whole sign house!

Krishnamurthy practiced in South India which is close to equator and there the Sripati or Placidus or Regiomontanus or whatever do not make a large difference! The closer to the poles one is born, when one sees the eccentricities (maybe there is a more appropriate term!) of these unequal house systems emerge with intercepted signs and so on and so forth!

Also, remember that Krishnamurthy by and large developed his system using horary techniques and not so much natal horoscopy! Most clients approaching him locally, where the charts were drawn. Hence that further limited the 'effect' of variability or anomalies due to his choice of the western house systems.

Porphyri or Sripati and Placidus are NOT similar! Sripati/Porphyri is a very approximate averaging system that uses TWO measured points: Cusp of the 1st house and Medium Coeli and then derives the opposite cusps therefrom (by adding the signs) and then trisects the four quadrants created by TWO MEASURED/CALCULATED points!

Placidus uses a slightly more complex algorithm which involves more calculations as opposed to the simpler and perhaps simplistic Sripati and Porphyri calculations!

This is not the first time I am stating this and had it been someone else but you, I would not have bothered to clarify! But you possibly missed the earlier times I posted this same simple thing which people particularly in Jyotish Internet fora gloss over, or ignore thinking about!
Rohiniranjan
========
JYO-LOGUE

RishiRahul
Astrology Reader

Post by RishiRahul » Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:23 am

Rohiniranjan wrote:
Its as simple as that.

Rishi

Rishi,

My understanding always has been that Krishnamurthy used Placidus cusps because in his 'day' Raphael's Tables of Houses was the dominant reference book (which then inspired Lahiri to publish his Tables of ascendants and houses later on, for the Jyotishis. Please remember that in those days there were no computers and many jyotishis did not have the knowledge to create horoscopes 'from scratch'!

Krishnamurthy used Placidus and also placed the cusp at the beginning of the KP houses for star and sub determination. Not bhava madhya. He never explained to my best recall why he chose to depart from the Jyotish norm of Sripati/Equal House/Whole sign house!
Rishi=My mistake again in putting things to words. Bad elaborating from my side.
Yes, krishnamuthy takes cusp as bhavamadhya (ie: 1st. cusp as lagna degree & finds its star & sub). Sorry for confusing; but takes the first house to be bhavamadhya.
He takes the first house to be: The bhavamadhya of the first house to the bhavamadhya of the second house.

Krishnamurthy practiced in South India which is close to equator and there the Sripati or Placidus or Regiomontanus or whatever do not make a large difference! The closer to the poles one is born, when one sees the eccentricities (maybe there is a more appropriate term!) of these unequal house systems emerge with intercepted signs and so on and so forth!
Rishi=True, that it does not make a large difference at/near the equator

Also, remember that Krishnamurthy by and large developed his system using horary techniques and not so much natal horoscopy! Most clients approaching him locally, where the charts were drawn. Hence that further limited the 'effect' of variability or anomalies due to his choice of the western house systems.
Rishi=Krishnamurthy had 5 readers written by himself.
Later other readers came up written by his sons/followers.
1st. reader=casting the horoscope (i do not have this book)
2nd. reader= Fundamental principals of astrology
3rd. reader= predictive stellar astrology
4th. reader= marriage, married life & children
5th. reader=transit- gocharphala ninayam
6th. reader= horary astrology
I have the above 5 readers, and have gone through them extensively.
Krishnamurthy emphasises the horary use in all books, but have also given extensive rules with examples for natal.
Other books have later come out by his son, Hariharan, etc.

Porphyri or Sripati and Placidus are NOT similar! Sripati/Porphyri is a very approximate averaging system that uses TWO measured points: Cusp of the 1st house and Medium Coeli and then derives the opposite cusps therefrom (by adding the signs) and then trisects the four quadrants created by TWO MEASURED/CALCULATED points!
Rishi=I am aware of the calculation process differences, as I had to calculate sripathi padhhati alias Porphyry method when computers were not available.
Not much aware of  the logic behind 'ganitha'; but you have a point there

Placidus uses a slightly more complex algorithm which involves more calculations as opposed to the simpler and perhaps simplistic Sripati and Porphyri calculations!
Rishi=Yes.

This is not the first time I am stating this and had it been someone else but you, I would not have bothered to clarify! But you possibly missed the earlier times I posted this same simple thing which people particularly in Jyotish Internet fora gloss over, or ignore thinking about!
Rishi=I know we discussed this earlier, and remember it well.
My mistake was in my explaining system (brain :) ).

Krishnamurthy made use of the house cusps (bhavamadhyas) for delineating horary results from cusps and subs too, but did not go as far as sub subs (you had mentioned & cleared this in the last message that krishnamurthy did not go to sub subs].
While doing chart readings, at present, I do not use star/sub in house cusps, but use it for planets only.
The cusp things more testing/research; which is why new modified K.P. ayanamsasa have taken birth also.:smt002

So the/my need to find the better of the two (sripathi & placidus) still remains; maybe the exercise carried out may still be futile.

Rishi

Rohiniranjan

Post by Rohiniranjan » Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:06 am

Rishi=My mistake again in putting things to words. Bad elaborating from my side.
Yes, krishnamuthy takes cusp as bhavamadhya (ie: 1st. cusp as lagna degree & finds its star & sub). Sorry for confusing; but takes the first house to be bhavamadhya.
He takes the first house to be: The bhavamadhya of the first house to the bhavamadhya of the second house.

Rishi
I am taking the liberty of the 'verbiage' that can confuse readers and focusing only on the part that I found rather unclear!

READ again what you have written!

When you say he took bhavmadhya (cusp or lagna sphuta) of the first house to extend from bhavmadhya of first to bhavmadhya of 2nd, what does that tell the reader? That Krishnamurthy was taking the cusp as the beginning of the house! As is considered by western astrologers who follow Raphael's tables of houses!

Indian Jyotishis take the lagna-sphuta as the middle of a house or literally, Bhavamadhya (middle of the house!), so first house has the rising degree in the MIDDLE of the first house and not at the beginning!

Why complicate a simple concept like that and create confusion by then saying that "He takes the first house to be: The bhavamadhya of the first house to the bhavamadhya of the second house."

Do you SEE how confusions have entered in Jyotish?

Perhaps you meant something else but the way you described it, readers would become confused! :-)

Take it in the 'sportsman's spirit' and not as a criticism!!

Love, Light, Learning!
Rohiniranjan
========
JYO-LOGUE

RishiRahul
Astrology Reader

Post by RishiRahul » Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:22 am

Rohiniranjan wrote:

Rishi
I am taking the liberty of the 'verbiage' that can confuse readers and focusing only on the part that I found rather unclear!

When you say he took bhavmadhya (cusp or lagna sphuta) of the first house to extend from bhavmadhya of first to bhavmadhya of 2nd, what does that tell the reader? That Krishnamurthy was taking the cusp as the beginning of the house! As is considered by western astrologers who follow Raphael's tables of houses!

Indian Jyotishis take the lagna-sphuta as the middle of a house or literally, Bhavamadhya (middle of the house!), so first house has the rising degree in the MIDDLE of the first house and not at the beginning!

Why complicate a simple concept like that and create confusion by then saying that "He takes the first house to be: The bhavamadhya of the first house to the bhavamadhya of the second house."

Perhaps you meant something else but the way you described it, readers would become confused! :-)

Love, Light, Learning!

Wow Dada,

No, I DID NOT take it as criticism at all. This is how confusions have occurred, even in the Jyotish books!!

Say the lagna sphuta is 15 degrees Aries.

Normal Vedic=> The 1st. house is 0 to 30 degrees Aries (bhavamadhya being 15 degrees Aries)

Krishnamutry Padhhhati= The 1st. house is 15 degrees Aries to 15 degrees 15 degrees Aries

:)  :)  :)

Thank you!!!

Rishi
RishiRahul.com

Rohiniranjan

Post by Rohiniranjan » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:54 am

RishiRahul wrote:
Rohiniranjan wrote:

Rishi
I am taking the liberty of [reducing] the 'verbiage' that can confuse readers and focusing only on the part that I found rather unclear!

Love, Light, Learning!

Wow Dada,

No, I DID NOT take it as criticism at all. This is how confusions have occurred, even in the Jyotish books!!

Normal Vedic=> The 1st. house is 0 to 30 degrees Aries (bhavamadhya being 15 degrees Aries)

Krishnamutry Padhhhati= The 1st. house is 15 degrees Aries to 15 degrees 15 degrees Aries

Thank you!!!

Rishi

Hence I am saying in a simpler way, dear brother, that KP uses cusp (sphuta) as the beginning point of a house like western astrologers (who also use Placidus, by the way!) rather than the jyotishis who treat it as the middle of a house or in sanskrit "bhav-madhya"! :-)

This introduces a BIG difference in the placement of planets in a jyotish chart as compared to a KP chart!

Narasimha had recently experimented with cusp as the beginning of a house in jyotish charts but then presumably stopped doing so. Narasimha is a tireless experimenter and is also blessed with the gift of programming which he positively utilizes in helping himself and others who are "programmingly-challenged" and shares his findings selflessly so that others avoid wasting their time. He is a great asset to the field of Jyotish, whether one realizes that or not for this, that or the other reason!

Love, Light, Learning!
Rohiniranjan
========
JYO-LOGUE

RishiRahul
Astrology Reader

Post by RishiRahul » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:06 pm

Rohiniranjan wrote:
RishiRahul wrote:
Rohiniranjan wrote:

Rishi
I am taking the liberty of [reducing] the 'verbiage' that can confuse readers and focusing only on the part that I found rather unclear!

Love, Light, Learning!

Wow Dada,

Thank you!!!

Rishi

Hence I am saying in a simpler way, dear brother, that KP uses cusp (sphuta) as the beginning point of a house like western astrologers (who also use Placidus, by the way!) rather than the jyotishis who treat it as the middle of a house or in sanskrit "bhav-madhya"! :-)

This introduces a BIG difference in the placement of planets in a jyotish chart as compared to a KP chart!

Narasimha had recently experimented with cusp as the beginning of a house in jyotish charts but then presumably stopped doing so. Narasimha is a tireless experimenter and is also blessed with the gift of programming which he positively utilizes in helping himself and others who are "programmingly-challenged" and shares his findings selflessly so that others avoid wasting their time. He is a great asset to the field of Jyotish, whether one realizes that or not for this, that or the other reason!

Love, Light, Learning!

Dada,

My confusion was in 'explaining'; not in understanding.

I too admire Narasimha ji because of his software and great efforts in Jyotish research.
He is undoubtedly a tireless experimenter, and selfless in his endeavours.

I am aware too that he experimented by taking vedic bhavamadhya as the begining of a house, which I mentioned earlier somewhere, I think. He did not declare the results.
I am a smaller Jyotish as compared to him, and I experimented with this same thing in 1980 s and 90 s.

What I was taking of further experimenting is not this.

In which part of a 'bhava' is a planet most powerful? (forget other factors like rasi, aspects etc etc for now)

A planet is most powerful at the Vedic bhavamadhya (which is Krishnamurthy's house cusp).
So, we can say that a planet is strongest at the cusp (K.P.).

Do you agree up till now?

Rishi

Rohiniranjan

Post by Rohiniranjan » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:19 pm

RishiRahul wrote:
Rohiniranjan wrote:
RishiRahul wrote:
Rohiniranjan wrote:

Rishi

Love, Light, Learning!

Wow Dada,

Thank you!!!

Rishi

Love, Light, Learning!

Dada,

I too admire Narasimha ji because of his software and great efforts in Jyotish research.

I am aware too that he experimented by taking vedic bhavamadhya as the begining of a house, which I mentioned earlier somewhere, I think. He did not declare the results.
I am a smaller Jyotish as compared to him, and I experimented with this same thing in 1980 s and 90 s.

In which part of a 'bhava' is a planet most powerful? (forget other factors like rasi, aspects etc etc for now)

A planet is most powerful at the Vedic bhavamadhya (which is Krishnamurthy's house cusp).

Rishi

I am an even smaller jyotishi, Rishi, but early on I learned that what you describe is but one component of strength! Lot of jyotishi bring out the fire-crackers and mithai when they see a planet in exaltation or own house etc, but a little exploration would indicate to the observer-researcher (an overly tired from overuse term!) that united they stand, divided they can even be NEGATIVE!

Hence I do not get excited too quickly...! ;-)
Rohiniranjan
========
JYO-LOGUE

RishiRahul
Astrology Reader

Post by RishiRahul » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:53 am

Rohiniranjan wrote:
RishiRahul wrote:
Rohiniranjan wrote:
RishiRahul wrote:
Rohiniranjan wrote:

Rishi

Love, Light, Learning!

Wow Dada,

Thank you!!!

Rishi

Love, Light, Learning!

Dada,

Rishi

I am an even smaller jyotishi, Rishi, but early on I learned that what you describe is but one component of strength! Lot of jyotishi bring out the fire-crackers and mithai when they see a planet in exaltation or own house etc, but a little exploration would indicate to the observer-researcher (an overly tired from overuse term!) that united they stand, divided they can even be NEGATIVE!

Hence I do not get excited too quickly...! ;-)

Allow me to be explain something: In internet boards I do not allow myself to get excited too quickly.

Why? because I get time to respond (think) before writing  or  writing after the 'excited' feeling is over.
Therefore excitement shown in internet boards are 'structured' excitement for better display of emotion; specially when its regarding research.

Whatever little experiment/s in Jyotish  that I have carried out was thought of earlier & planned, and not made out on the spur of some momentary reason (read momentary:. based on an idea lasting few days/weeks).

Such fire crackers and mithai's are never opened by me; but only because it is You I feel was worth sharing.

You may consider yourself anything, but I have learnt 'how to THINK better in Jyotish ' from you.

Rishi

Rohiniranjan

Post by Rohiniranjan » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:00 am

Allow me to be explain something: In internet boards I do not allow myself to get excited too quickly.

Why? because I get time to respond (think) before writing  or  writing after the 'excited' feeling is over.
Therefore excitement shown in internet boards are 'structured' excitement for better display of emotion; specially when its regarding research.

Whatever little experiment/s in Jyotish  that I have carried out was thought of earlier & planned, and not made out on the spur of some momentary reason (read momentary:. based on an idea lasting few days/weeks).

Such fire crackers and mithai's are never opened by me; but only because it is You I feel was worth sharing.

You may consider yourself anything, but I have learnt 'how to THINK better in Jyotish ' from you.

Rishi
Rishi, none of that (excitement and firecrackers etc) was directed at you specifically or at someone else, necessarily but was a general observation and not even directed at the participants of this forum :-)

Krishnamurhty's readers clearly indicated that it was dominantly tested by him in the horary realm, using things such as arrival of postal mail and 'trunk-calls' (long distance calls) which used to be a major *uncertainty* in those days! No one really knows why KSK opted for a hybrid system using a sandwich of western houses and back-extrapolated vimshottary which led to the crux of his system using stars and subs. As written in my KP chapter in my primer, it was an eye opener for me in my younger days and was used fruitfully. Now that does not make me an expert or even well-experienced person in the use of KP. I would like to make that clear :-)

So credit where credit is due, for sure!
Rohiniranjan
========
JYO-LOGUE

Return to “Vedic Astrology”