Importance of Navamsa chart

For vedic astrology discussions and general questions.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123, RishiRahul

RishiRahul
Astrology Reader

Re: Navamsa

Post by RishiRahul » Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:37 pm

Agnihotri wrote:
Nechi wrote:The sage Parasara had advocated divisions of the zodaic (varga system) for more accurate reading.
The navamsa chart helps us to study about the marraiage aspect. In my humble opinion, the navamsa has no relevance to other aspects of life.

However, it has been a practice with vedic astrologers to insert the navamsa chart also along with the Rasi chart.
Maybe, I am wrong! If somebody throws more light, I will be thankful.

I share your sentiment on this debilitating practice. When the mahacharyas devised the vargas, they were exploded micro representations of a dedicated topic. The navamsa for instance, is an extruded view of the 'marriage issue' and should therefore be used for the exclusive study of that issue and nothing else. In fact, they were very clear on this.

Instead, modern practitioners claim that the navamsa is 'more powerful' than the rasi and must be used 'instead' of the rasi. Nothing is further than the truth, and this makes a mockery of the careful protocols the established rishis have established. One glaring example is the use of aspects by some astrologers in the navamsa. The aspects are astronomical weights applied in astrology and they are celestial, meaning particularly relevant in the rasi. Whereas the vargas are finer sub-divisions of any given rasi of 30 degrees, and the extruded planetary positions in the vargas cannot bear relevance to that which is only applicable between two different points of arc on the geocentric zodiac. Also, when astrologers measure strengths based on swakshetra or uccha positions in the vargas. nowhere has it been laid out that certain divisions of a certain sign for a certain varga makes it swakshetra, or uccha, etc. These are positions of strength which are delegated to positions on the celestial rasi, and not the micro vargas.

There are only two things that I have found to be consistent with the use of the vargas: 1. the vargottama significance, and 2. surprisingly, the 'karaka' instead of 'functional' use of that vargottama graha in the interpretation of effects relevant for that varga, and the most dominant or obvious trend for that varga.

I welcome everyone's sharing on this. Let us hear your unique experiments and observations.

May Your Stars Shine Bright Always

:)

Nechiji and Agnihotriji,

The point I am trying to make, rather try to understand is:= that you had mentioned in the enclosed quote that Navamsha should be exclusively used for marriage purposes only.

Then later you backtracked from your mentioned quote agrreing /stating that from Navamsha other areas may be studied to allowed me to arrive to the conclusion that there is some confusion in your minds  OR you were not sure OR you are not well versed with the Science.

Do have the humility to accept the matter,  as you must understand that making strong quotes misleading for the readers and learners of this vaued forum can lead to incorrect understanding.

If you go through this thread from the start to now you will surely understand what I mean.
Surely you would not like the readers of this forum to be mislead?

Sincerely,

RishiRahul

RishiRahul
Astrology Reader

Post by RishiRahul » Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:58 pm

Nechi wrote:Hi Rishirahul,
Thank you for advising me (and Agnihotriji) to learn astrology in your forum (which is filled with mostly questions and comments) for our opinion that navamsa need not be considered while studying all aspects of life. You as moderator can simply insert a general remark that anybody with a different opinion than yours should learn astrology in your forum.

We consider vargottama to know the strength of the planet and judge the matter taking into consideration only the rasi.
Nechiji,

Your considering Vargottama to know the strength of the planet or planets is wrong. Wrong, not according to just myself.... but according to the teachings of Astrology from the Vedas.

Your contention that .........."You as moderator can simply insert a general remark that anybody with a different opinion than yours should learn astrology in your forum.".... ... The matter was not my opinion; in fact my opinion was not there which created the understanding. It was your confusion regarding the use of Navamsha.

Vargottama is not used to judge the 'strength' or 'bala' of a planet. The state of Vargottama is not a measure of planetory strength

To judge strengths of planets Shad bala and Vimsopaka balas are used.

Vargottama is a like a 'confirmation' of a state etc.

As a moderator it is my duty to also try to keep a watch on misleading matters, and also keep a check on quality content.

Regarding the quality of the classes everyone is reserved to their views.

Misleading statements, when pointed out, should be accepted with humility. Humility is a quality of good learning.  Acceptance is very important.

RishiRahul

Agnihotri

Post by Agnihotri » Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:06 am

We consider vargottama to know the strength of the planet and judge the matter taking into consideration only the rasi.[/quote]

Nechiji,

Your considering Vargottama to know the strength of the planet or planets is wrong. Wrong, not according to just myself.... but according to the teachings of Astrology from the Vedas.

-------------------------------------------------------

As good scholars, we must go beyond our pet theories and confront truth in the face. Unfortunately, none of us have all aspects of truth. So what we have in common therefore is our incessant push for that truth. For that, a wonderful forum such as this can be a blessed platform for the revelations we seek.

My own statement on saying that the Vargottama very easily reveals the focus of that graha in relation to that varga is one of sheer repeated application. I have taught my students this simple and effective technique since 1986, but our studies are far from over. Anyone can do this. For instance, a tabulated format of the vargas with the rasi positions of the vargas at the top will visually display the grahas in vargottama, and for which varga, extremely efficiently. What you can do next, and instantly, is to 'assume' that THAT planet becomes a 'significant channel' for the expression of the issue represented by that varga. That's it. It's a simple observation, and it works.

But to say that this is wrong, is bad scholarship. The integrity of our growth in this holy gnana depends a lot on our scholastic dignity. Adherence to established dictums is a good prerequisite to safe scholarship, but the lack of zest for further discoveries is self-defeating. Truth does not have to be discovered by a doyen of science. It can be discovered by anyone blessed with alertness and vision. If no initiative is put in the attempt to try what others have seen, what others have repeatedly proven as a group for many years, then it is not a matter of lack of aptitude, but of attitude. Then the collective loses another small component of truth that will add to the greater truth.

In fact, it is in highest regard to the spirit of the mahacharyas that we participate in collective conferencing; by 'sharing' views and insights only after due experimentation and observation rather than just accepting things on face value and by faith alone. Everyone is invited to experiment on what is said and offered. If you reject others' experiences as improbable opinions, then it's still perfectly alright. Everybody will continue with their experiences, and the universe still continues to grow.

'Misleading statements' might be a challenge to established authority to some, but for the truth seeker, it implies that something is benchmarked against a statement of fact. The insight that says the "vargottama giving strength to that graha in that varga" is based on someone's factual experience, must be respected to credit their hard work and practices. In fact, it is saying 'a misleading statement' that incites rebuttal. Not concurring with another's experience does not nullify that experience. There's so much book study offers, there's even more field work offers. Let's all study successfully together.

May All Be Illumined.

Agnihotri

Your contention that .........."You as moderator can simply insert a general remark that anybody with a different opinion than yours should learn astrology in your forum.".... ... The matter was not my opinion; in fact my opinion was not there which created the understanding. It was your confusion regarding the use of Navamsha.

Vargottama is not used to judge the 'strength' or 'bala' of a planet. The state of Vargottama is not a measure of planetory strength

As a moderator it is my duty to also try to keep a watch on misleading matters, and also keep a check on quality content.

Misleading statements, when pointed out, should be accepted with humility. Humility is a quality of good learning.  Acceptance is very important.

RishiRahul[/quote]

Agnihotri

Post by Agnihotri » Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:09 am

This part was not from me (Agnihotri):
Agnihotri wrote:We consider vargottama to know the strength of the planet and judge the matter taking into consideration only the rasi.
Nechiji,

My (Agnihotri) response starts here:

As good scholars, we must go beyond our pet theories and confront truth in the face. Unfortunately, none of us have all aspects of truth. So what we have in common therefore is our incessant push for that truth. For that, a wonderful forum such as this can be a blessed platform for the revelations we seek.

My own statement on saying that the Vargottama very easily reveals the focus of that graha in relation to that varga is one of sheer repeated application. I have taught my students this simple and effective technique since 1986, but our studies are far from over. Anyone can do this. For instance, a tabulated format of the vargas with the rasi positions of the vargas at the top will visually display the grahas in vargottama, and for which varga, extremely efficiently. What you can do next, and instantly, is to 'assume' that THAT planet becomes a 'significant channel' for the expression of the issue represented by that varga. That's it. It's a simple observation, and it works.

But to say that this is wrong, is bad scholarship. The integrity of our growth in this holy gnana depends a lot on our scholastic dignity. Adherence to established dictums is a good prerequisite to safe scholarship, but the lack of zest for further discoveries is self-defeating. Truth does not have to be discovered by a doyen of science. It can be discovered by anyone blessed with alertness and vision. If no initiative is put in the attempt to try what others have seen, what others have repeatedly proven as a group for many years, then it is not a matter of lack of aptitude, but of attitude. Then the collective loses another small component of truth that will add to the greater truth.

In fact, it is in highest regard to the spirit of the mahacharyas that we participate in collective conferencing; by 'sharing' views and insights only after due experimentation and observation rather than just accepting things on face value and by faith alone. Everyone is invited to experiment on what is said and offered. If you reject others' experiences as improbable opinions, then it's still perfectly alright. Everybody will continue with their experiences, and the universe still continues to grow.

'Misleading statements' might be a challenge to established authority to some, but for the truth seeker, it implies that something is benchmarked against a statement of fact. The insight that says the "vargottama giving strength to that graha in that varga" is based on someone's factual experience, must be respected to credit their hard work and practices. In fact, it is saying 'a misleading statement' that incites rebuttal. Not concurring with another's experience does not nullify that experience. There's so much book study offers, there's even more field work offers. Let's all study successfully together.

May All Be Illumined.

Agnihotri

RishiRahul[/quote][/quote]

Rohiniranjan

Post by Rohiniranjan » Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:21 am

Friends,

Not trying to get into the *crossfire* of gigantic proportions that are going on in this thread, I use a simple explanation.

Sattwic is about clear vision, What you see is what you get! Like a pure brahmin or anyone living a pure life.

Rajasik is about learning to see clearly though often through coloured glasses that do come off from time to time.

Tamasika is about not even trying to see and going on and on with one's understanding and distortions and colourations simply seem to be the ever existent state.

As we know, there are Sattwick, rajasic and tamasic drekkanas/dreshkanas/drekkonas/decanates.

You will find that ALL vargottama navamshas lie in sattvik dreshkanas. Clarity to the power two!

Now re-read what I wrote about Sattwik...

PLease carry on...

RR

[quote="Agnihotri"]This part was not from me (Agnihotri):

[quote="Agnihotri"]We consider vargottama to know the strength of the planet and judge the matter taking into consideration only the rasi.[/quote]

Nechiji,

My (Agnihotri) response starts here:

May All Be Illumined.

Agnihotri

RishiRahul[/quote][/quote][/quote]

RishiRahul
Astrology Reader

Post by RishiRahul » Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:56 am

1) “You as moderator can simply insert a general remark that anybody with a different
   opinion than yours should learn astrology in your forum.”
QUOTE: NECHI

This is hurtful statement with the intention to attack.

2) “Vargottama is not used to judge the 'strength' or 'bala' of a planet. The state of      
     Vargottama is not a measure of planetary strength”.
QUOTE: RishiRahul

The TRUTH of the above statement remains unchanged, even after exchanges by Nechiji and Agnihotriji.

You fail to see that whatever they (Nechiji and Agnihotriji) are trying to establish is not about planetary strength.

Vargottama adds quality…..Satwick, as RohiniRanjanji too stated in this thread.

Either the ideas you are trying to portray in this forum are confused AND/OR it is confusing others AND/OR has mischievous intent.

It is urged that Agnihotriji and Nechiji adds some quality to this forum rather than beat around the bush.

THAT SAID: I feel it is meaningless for myself to contribute further in this thread any further….. unless it is actively being used for making positive contributions.

RishiRahul

Rhutobello

Post by Rhutobello » Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:42 am

Nechi wrote:Hi Rishirahul,
Thank you for advising me (and Agnihotriji) to learn astrology in your forum (which is filled with mostly questions and comments) for our opinion that navamsa need not be considered while studying all aspects of life. You as moderator can simply insert a general remark that anybody with a different opinion than yours should learn astrology in your forum.

We consider vargottama to know the strength of the planet and judge the matter taking into consideration only the rasi.
As Admin I must ask you NEVER to do such a statement again..unless you have proof for such thing is happening!

By giving such statement...you are not only attacking the Mod...but also the site itself...since we must then allow such behaviour.

As for link to other forum....I think I have removed several of yours.

Rhutobello
Site admin.

Votive

Importance of Navamsha chart

Post by Votive » Sat Oct 13, 2007 2:51 pm

So much has been said on this topic with some heated exchanges too.
Some thoughts though, Jyotisha is different from a few other forms of astrology since it takes into consideration not only Rashis in the Zodiac which are based on Sun but also the nakshatras in the zodiac as Moon navigates through them.
The triangulation of Rashis through Sun; Nakshatras through Moon and the Lagna, therefore, form the conception of the natal chart.
The moon on an average traverses 13 degrees 20 minutes in a day ( average, in reality it is always more or less!)
The Navamsha lagna changes on an average in 13 minutes and 20 seconds in a day.
108 navamsha lagnas normally change in a day from sunrise to sunrise and the nakshatras have 108 padas through which the moon moves in a month.
Moon goes through four navamsha signs in a day, each sign representing a nakshatra pada and while moon moves through a single navamsha sign, the lagna changes 27 times representing the 27 nakshatras.
Jyotish is remarkable since it depicts the daily, monthly, yearly and even greater cycles at the micro level in the varga concepts.
In my opinion, the Navamsha chart is significant, since it focuses on the blessings of Moon or Mother in the natal chart. And we seek the Mother's blessings in all human endeavors whether it is education, wealth, fame, power....you name it. Ma in her different forms of Saraswati, Lakshmi, Durga provides it and the Sanatan Dharma has accepted this and done it since times immemorial. Navamsha, therefore, has a role to play in understanding the earthly resources which get translated for a native easily or with more difficulty.
On this auspicious occasion of the Navaratris, let Ma bless all...

Votive

Rohiniranjan

Re: Importance of Navamsha chart

Post by Rohiniranjan » Sat Oct 13, 2007 5:58 pm

Beautifully put. The flame is burning bright and pure :-)
May Mother's blessings shower upon us all...

RR

[quote="Votive"]So much has been said on this topic with some heated exchanges too.
Some thoughts though, Jyotisha is different from a few other forms of astrology since it takes into consideration not only Rashis in the Zodiac which are based on Sun but also the nakshatras in the zodiac as Moon navigates through them.
The triangulation of Rashis through Sun; Nakshatras through Moon and the Lagna, therefore, form the conception of the natal chart.
The moon on an average traverses 13 degrees 20 minutes in a day ( average, in reality it is always more or less!)
108 navamsha lagnas normally change in a day from sunrise to sunrise and the nakshatras have 108 padas through which the moon moves in a month.
Moon goes through four navamsha signs in a day, each sign representing a nakshatra pada and while moon moves through a single navamsha sign, the lagna changes 27 times representing the 27 nakshatras.
Jyotish is remarkable since it depicts the daily, monthly, yearly and even greater cycles at the micro level in the varga concepts.
In my opinion, the Navamsha chart is significant, since it focuses on the blessings of Moon or Mother in the natal chart. And we seek the Mother's blessings in all human endeavors whether it is education, wealth, fame, power....you name it. Ma in her different forms of Saraswati, Lakshmi, Durga provides it and the Sanatan Dharma has accepted this and done it since times immemorial. Navamsha, therefore, has a role to play in understanding the earthly resources which get translated for a native easily or with more difficulty.

Votive[/quote]

RishiRahul
Astrology Reader

Post by RishiRahul » Sat Oct 13, 2007 6:43 pm

Votive wrote:So much has been said on this topic with some heated exchanges too.

Votive

Votiveji,

Beautiful, perfect expression of  Navamsha explained. And even more!

I have saved your thoughts, very true in actuality, for  better learning, teaching and understanding, as it the understanding of the Navamsha's rich state and why it is the CRUX of the the main Chart, and specially Nakshatrik Dasas.

I thank you  for bringing me back to the post which was becoming quite meaningless to participitate; and also for this Meaningful article regarding Navamsha.

Respectfully,

RishiRahul

RishiRahul
Astrology Reader

Post by RishiRahul » Sat Oct 13, 2007 6:47 pm

rohiniranjan wrote:Beautifully put. The flame is burning bright and pure :-)

RR
Votive wrote:So much has been said on this topic with some heated exchanges too.

Votive

Dear Dada,

An article by Votiveji with Functional Benefic qualities ats best.

Wish my expressions were as illuminating.

Respectfully,

Bhai.

Rohiniranjan

Post by Rohiniranjan » Sun Oct 14, 2007 4:59 am

Hey Rishis,

As long as it stays within the family, what difference does it make?

Blessings of Ma may shower upon all of us!

RR

[quote="RishiRahul"][quote="rohiniranjan"]Beautifully put. The flame is burning bright and pure :-)

RR

[quote="Votive"]So much has been said on this topic with some heated exchanges too.

Votive[/quote][/quote]

Dear Dada,

Respectfully,

Bhai.[/quote]

RishiRahul
Astrology Reader

Post by RishiRahul » Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:32 am

rohiniranjan wrote:Hey Rishis,

RR
RishiRahul wrote:

RR

Votive

Dear Dada,

Respectfully,

Bhai.

True Dada,

As long as the functional benefics stay together within the family.

Respectfully,

RishiRahul

Rohiniranjan

Post by Rohiniranjan » Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:46 am

Since you addressed me as Dada, I exercise the right to correct you }B-{

You really meant "functioning" and not 'functional', I hope? The latter has a sense of potential whereas the former is what seems to be the need of the day! Now or never!! :-)

RR

[quote="RishiRahul"][quote="rohiniranjan"]Hey Rishis,

RR

[quote="RishiRahul"][quote="rohiniranjan"]Beautifully put. The flame is burning bright and pure :-)

RR

Votive[/quote][/quote]

Dear Dada,

Respectfully,

Bhai.[/quote][/quote]

True Dada,

Respectfully,

RishiRahul[/quote]

RishiRahul
Astrology Reader

Post by RishiRahul » Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:11 am

rohiniranjan wrote:Since you addressed me as Dada, I exercise the right to correct you }B-{

You really meant "functioning" and not 'functional', I hope? The latter has a sense of potential whereas the former is what seems to be the need of the day! Now or never!! :-)

RR
RishiRahul wrote:
rohiniranjan wrote:Hey Rishis,

RR
RishiRahul wrote:

RR

Votive

Dear Dada,

Respectfully,

Bhai.

True Dada,

Respectfully,

RishiRahul

Dada,
I get your point absolutely, since we are still willing to learn.

Respects,

RishiRahu

Return to “Vedic Astrology”