Cure for a Post Nasal Drip?

The best place to discuss anything to do with homeopathy.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

Brenda Russell

Cure for a Post Nasal Drip?

Post by Brenda Russell » Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:20 am

I would be most grateful if anyone can help me find medication that will assist in curing a post nasal drip. ( Unusual request, I know, but so annoying all the same!)

Light and love

Brenda

justinray111

Post by justinray111 » Wed Dec 26, 2007 4:56 pm

Yes please, a cure will be great as I too am a sufferer.

Thank you

drrnwynbchnbrgr

Post by drrnwynbchnbrgr » Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:56 am

try salt water  take a eye dropper and lean your head back and let it flow naturally

justinray111

Post by justinray111 » Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:35 am

I have a salt water nasal spray, doesn't do the job though. The PND hangs around and cuases irritation and a cough than can last for weeks. The only cure I have found is extreme extreme physical exercise.

Brenda Russell

Post by Brenda Russell » Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:43 am

Yes I have also tried salt water with no luck what so ever!  I l also do physical exercise daily,but that does not seem to help either! It is really irritating don't you agree?

Can someone please help us??????

Light and love

Brenda

starryskies

Post by starryskies » Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:12 am

Can I add myself as a sufferer? I've tried all sorts (including saltwater) and it hasn't worked. My boyfriend doesn't appreciate my snoring :(

drrnwynbchnbrgr

Post by drrnwynbchnbrgr » Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:13 pm

Everybody has postnasal drainage all the time. Healthy noses and sinuses make a quart of clear, thin mucus every day. This continually flowing stream of mucus cleans, humidifies and heats air before it's drawn down into your lungs and, normally, you swallow the mucus without even being aware of it.

You only become aware of postnasal drip when the mucus thickens. You may even produce less mucus than you do when it's clear and thin, but it feels like more. And that condition, of course, is what's often called postnasal drip.

The causes of postnasal drip?

The dry air from heating or air-conditioning systems or stomach acid that irritates the back of your throat. Heartburn. Or air pollution—and not just the kind from cars and smokestacks. Indoor air pollution from cigarette smoke can also bring it on.

Postnasal drip can also result from an allergy to molds, dust, dust mites, pollen or animal dander (the tiny particles of skin that pets shed along with fur).

Chronic sinusitis—repeated sinus infections—is often accompanied by headache and (you guessed it) postnasal drip. In this case, you'll have to treat the sinusitis if you want to turn off the drip.

Postnasal drip can be stubborn, but a variety of tactics can thin the flow.

Make moisture. Use nasal saline spray generously and as often as you like to thin secretions.

Drink plenty of water. "For postnasal drip, stay well-hydrated with six to eight glasses of water.

Cut down on coffee. Water's a great liquid to take in, but caffeinated coffee is not, s Caffeine is a diuretic, which will dehydrate you and thicken that postnasal deluge. Enjoy a cup of decaf or herb.

Skip the smoke . . . and the cocktail. "Stay away from any kind of smoke,

And the cocktail? Alcohol is another dehydrator to avoid while you have postnasal drip. If you do indulge,  drinking three eight-ounce glasses of water before you go to bed, which will offset alcohol's drying effect.

also  start  taking some source of vitamin c  garlic  bee products can help with hay fever type symptoms  

reactions to processed food can also be a cause  eat as organic as possible

starryskies

Post by starryskies » Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:25 am

justinray111 wrote:The only cure I have found is extreme extreme physical exercise.
What kind of exercise and how does this work? I am willing to try anything and I like exercise.

justinray111

Post by justinray111 » Sat Dec 29, 2007 4:34 am

No not just daily excercise but putting your body under extreme duress, which is why I don't do it every time. I only do it if circumstances happen to play out that way.

I want a workable solution, and not one that half kills me in the process.

drrnwynbchnbrgr

Post by drrnwynbchnbrgr » Sat Dec 29, 2007 4:49 am

Yes exercise now that i think about it..... a yoga ball could be of some help , one that comes to mind is the crab with deep  breathing this could open channels that are blocked leading to the head area  .but as i posted earlier a assessment of common causes needs to be addressed  .

Brenda Russell

Post by Brenda Russell » Sun Dec 30, 2007 8:27 am

Thank you drrnwynbchnbrqr for your input.  I am certainly looking at your suggestion that a postnasal drip can be irritated by an allergy to mold, dust, dust mites, pollen or animal dander.  That rings bells for me!! I do work in a very dusty place and I do have a cat which I love to bits and who sleeps on my bed. The next trick is to find a way around these things. That can cause quite a challenge!  Any suggestions anyone???

Light and love

Brenda

WITCHYNANNA01

Post by WITCHYNANNA01 » Sun Dec 30, 2007 8:29 pm

Idon't have any on that one , but thanks for the info.  I'm going to try those things myself.

I need to change the subject though.  I have a 12 year grand-daughter who has a really bad case of Alopecia, Where they lose thier hair.  The problem is that they don't just lose thier hair, it can cause other health problems, too.  She has lost alot of hair, and the doctors seem to be dragging thier feet on this.  is there anything that I can do to make it better?  She has asked for everyones help.  She said that it does not matter what it takes. She knows what kind of person I am, but right now I am weak due to illness.  If anyone could please help me heal her, please let me know.

drrnwynbchnbrgr

Post by drrnwynbchnbrgr » Mon Dec 31, 2007 6:52 am

Feed your scalp. It won't turn a desert into a forest, but good nutrition—like quality protein and iron—do seem to play at least a minor role in preventing hair loss.

In fact, severe dieting (200 to 400 calories a day) can actually provoke substantial temporary hair loss. Good, low-fat sources of protein are lean chicken, beef and beans. Get sufficient iron from lean beef and enriched cereals, or even a good supplement. Too much vitamin A can actually cause hair loss.

Consider cortisone. For the coin-size bald patches caused by alopecia areata, many doctors inject cortisone directly into the bald area. Results are usually impressive, cortisone injections are also used to grow eyebrows and eyelashes for victims of alopecia universalis, the more serious form of alopecia,

Traditional Chinese medicine (TCM) has a particular understanding of baldness that is different from the allopathic view. TCM recommends foods to eat and others to avoid, herbs to treat hair loss, and special hair massage. One Chinese approach is to first understand where there is weak energy in the body and to strengthen the qi (chi) of those organ systems. Treatment is not a one-shot approach but a well-rounded response.

Vitamins B6 and biotin are thought to advocate healthy hair growth, as are the minerals zinc, copper, and silica. Fifty milligrams of silica a day is thought to encourage hair growth in young men with alopecia. The herb horsetail (Equisetum arvense) contains silica, and can be taken as an infusion, or tea. Copper and zinc have been shown to inhibit growth of the enzyme that causes DHT production. Iron supplements may be useful in individuals whose hair loss is caused by anemia or an inadequate intake of dietary iron.

The herbal remedies saw palmetto (Serenoa repens) and pygeum (Pygeum africanum) may be prescribed by an herbalist, naturopath, or holistic healthcare professional to stop or slow hair loss. Saw palmetto is thought to stop DHT production, and pygeum influences testosterone production. Both can be taken orally as a dietary supplement. The Chinese herb He Shou Wun (Polygonum multiflorum) can be taken orally or applied as a topical formula.

For hair loss caused by trichotillomania (hair pulling), behavioral therapy may be a useful treatment program. If the hair pulling or hair loss itself is triggered by stress, there are a number of stress reduction therapies that can promote relaxation, including aromatherapy, muscle relaxation exercises, yoga, guided imagery, and biofeedback.

Alternative Treatment

There is some evidence to suggest that aromatherapy is a safe and effective treatment for alopecia areata. Aromatherapy involves rubbing scented essential oils into the skin to treat localized and systemic disease.

Massaging the essential oils of rosemary, lavender, sage, thyme, and cedar into the scalp is believed to increase circulation and reduce stress. About three to six drops of essential oil are added to 1 tablespoon of jojoba or grape seed oil and massaged into the scalp.

drrnwynbchnbrgr

Post by drrnwynbchnbrgr » Mon Dec 31, 2007 7:09 am

please look into some of the underlying cause of the hair loss ,there are many illness as you have stated that are more serious than the hair loss its self ,these need to be ruled out by medical test and blood work  i dont like doctors and believe totally in alternative medicine  but lab test are important .so i go for the blood work once a illness is found i get a second opinion and than treat it with alternative therpy .....i am not a medical doctor so its only my belief ..but i assure i dont go to doctors and havent for over ten years   ...i have had some medical training and schooling   and dabble in many many different areas ...and treating yourself is not a crime ....and friendly advise is a gift .

happy new year  

remember google is your FRIEND

WITCHYNANNA01

Post by WITCHYNANNA01 » Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:48 pm

Thank you both so much. I think you are right, I have made an appoint ment with her doctor to get labwork done on her.  I think that there are other things going on to.  I agree with you both, I'll find out exactly whats wrong and treat it with vitamins, herbs, and the aromatherapy is already helping her with the stress.  For the Holidays I bought her a complete set of facial spa, bath soothing set, pedicure set and aromathererapy set, and she loved it since then I have seen her smiling more and laughing more. now I'll try the scalp massaging and rush the doctos up to find out everything else so I can do the herbal, I totally Believe in them. They saved my life.

You are right about the doctors, I don't trust many of them at all.  About 1 years ago I had to go to about five different doctors before I found one that really knew what he was doing. It took me a year to find him. It turned out that I had cancer inside the spinal cord, and by then it was in five vertabrae.  They gave me six months to1 year to live.  Thats when I started using herbs, and I'm still going strong.

You are so right about frindly avice.
Thank you!  Bless you

Return to “Homeopathy”