Reiki Attunements

Know more about this Japanese form of energy healing.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

Gem

Reiki Attunements

Post by Gem » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:10 am

After reading some of the recent posts I wondered what everyone's ideas are on reiki 'attunements'?

It seems generally accepted that the 'attunement' empowers the student to channel reiki? But can we channel reiki without being attuned?

Do they have to be carried out in person, or can long distance attunements work just as well? Can multiple attunements to a group of people work?

How were you 'attuned' to reiki? What did it feel like? Did you enjoy it? Do you feel it worked?

What about self-attunement? How, and why?

Any ideas or views or opinions?

Spiritboxer

Re: Reiki Attunements

Post by Spiritboxer » Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:13 pm

Gem wrote:After reading some of the recent posts I wondered what everyone's ideas are on reiki 'attunements'?

It seems generally accepted that the 'attunement' empowers the student to channel reiki? But can we channel reiki without being attuned?

Do they have to be carried out in person, or can long distance attunements work just as well? Can multiple attunements to a group of people work?

How were you 'attuned' to reiki? What did it feel like? Did you enjoy it? Do you feel it worked?

Well let's see now. I believe we can channel healing energy but I don't know if it's technically reiki without the attunement. I was stopped by a woman one day in Madison Park. She had noticed I was limping and asked if she could help by placing her hands on the injured area. I asked if it was reiki or another related discipline and she replied, no, it was just something she did naturally. I figured what the heck, let her procede for five minutes, and viola the pain was gone. Soooo, no attunements according to her but more effective than anyone I've come across.
I've had attunements in person and over the internet (Shadow Wolf, Sasala). Wolf's was intense,a very large group effort, and I could really feel it from 1300 miles away. Sasala's was the strongest I've ever experienced, in person or otherwise, and almost knocked me out of my chair. This one was from the Lakota Rez in North Dakota and I was NYC, pretty far, no? The in person attunements have ranged from intense, like I was on fire (Laurie Grant) to soft, warm with various experiential degrees in between.
So, distant/in person, some were groups large to small, some were individual and all were effective.
Whoops, look at the time, gotta run......

Any ideas or views or opinions?[/quote]

Rohiniranjan

Re: Reiki Attunements

Post by Rohiniranjan » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:50 pm

No disrespect intended but this flummoxes me a bit that individuals in the energy healing realm tend to talk about energies as if they were products. I mean with all the branding that has been going on and the bit of a 'showdown' that happened a decade or two ago when some of the 'traditionalists' took upon themselves to restore 'purity' (according to them) on the Reiki scene and to denigerate some of the bold literature that began to flow into the public domain which essentially was a revolt against the secrecy and high attunement fees that had been going on unchallenged for Lord knows how long! Of course now we all know the history and how it shaped up or out!!

Anyway, I find it a bit incredible that individuals go for so many trainings and attunements and re-attunements! One may almost feel as if some of the attunements do not 'stick' or become weak over time or whatever.

Incredible stuff!

Now, I realize this is Reiki board so we have to come up with some topics and sharing of responses and create variety and more discussions so that the patrons of the forum remain engaged and interested.

I have had hands on and distance attunements and I have also had one experience which happened to be during my R-I (the very first attunement I ever had, formally) which was very interesting. It was during the 'dragon breath' step and in our group we had a student who also had cancer and afterwards she asked aloud if a hollow reed or bamboo was used! The teacher made up something and it was interesting to quickly note the smiles that flashed on the entire group's faces! We all were onto the same thought -- the best description of attunement (in tune with!) and we all came back the next day. The little touch of real worldly 'procedure' did not phase out our interest or belief in our intent to learn Reiki :-)

That night, my feet and ankles became really hot and stayed so for a long period as I meditated. I did not have any neuropathy or neuritis etc, or B deficiency etc, let me assure you all. Many months later I ran into a Reiki Master (K.S. from Colorado) who told me that she always attuned her students' feet. This was not done in our group, by the way by our teacher, but 'someone else' made sure that the process was taken care of! And there was an interesting couple of incidents around feet! When practicing healing on each other, one lady (the same one with cancer) tried to avoid taking of her shoes (talk about motivation and commitment!) and the person who was giving Reiki was so kind and gentle and was ready to accommodate that. The teacher stepped in and made her remove her shoes, of course. There were a couple of other 'feet' experiences additionally :-)

And then there was the unfolding and added details with each level attunement that clarified the purple fountain that led to clarity ...

Anyway, I have bored you folks enough!

Rohiniranjan

[quote="Spiritboxer"][quote="Gem"]After reading some of the recent posts I wondered what everyone's ideas are on reiki 'attunements'?

What about self-attunement? How, and why?[/quote]

Well let's see now. I believe we can channel healing energy but I don't know if it's technically reiki without the attunement. I was stopped by a woman one day in Madison Park. She had noticed I was limping and asked if she could help by placing her hands on the injured area. I asked if it was reiki or another related discipline and she replied, no, it was just something she did naturally. I figured what the heck, let her procede for five minutes, and viola the pain was gone. Soooo, no attunements according to her but more effective than anyone I've come across.
I've had attunements in person and over the internet (Shadow Wolf, Sasala). Wolf's was intense,a very large group effort, and I could really feel it from 1300 miles away. Sasala's was the strongest I've ever experienced, in person or otherwise, and almost knocked me out of my chair. This one was from the Lakota Rez in North Dakota and I was NYC, pretty far, no? The in person attunements have ranged from intense, like I was on fire (Laurie Grant) to soft, warm with various experiential degrees in between.
So, distant/in person, some were groups large to small, some were individual and all were effective.
Whoops, look at the time, gotta run......

Any ideas or views or opinions?[/quote][/quote]

Spiritboxer

Post by Spiritboxer » Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:29 am

It's gratifying to know that I can still flummox folks, that's just flat out fun. Anyway, I continued to study reiki after my initial master attunement because I needed to learn more and the fact that these studies came with further attunements was incidental. There is a school of thought that attunements are addictive but I like to think my need to know transcends this. For example through further study, it came to mind that reiki was more an alchemical system than anything else, transformation of the self, much like what was taught in Europe back in the day. Also it seemed that during Dr Usui's searches through scriptures in Buddhist monastaries he may have come across a copy of the lotus sutra and I believe reiki is derived from this sutra having studied it offhand for the last 25 years or so. I also came to the conclusion that the sutra was a living entity, an exercise in oneness and the essence of Shakyamuni himself. Now I'm not presenting any of this as fact but as things that seem to make sense to me. Amazing what you can dig up when you continue to delve, *I* can never leave well enough alone it seems, I just *have* to know.
I started in the martial arts back in 1964 btw and learned the Dragon's Breath back then, sen chin breathing IIRC. It also amazed me that the kanji or hand positions in reiki were derived from a ninja school called Nine Hands Cutting and in both cases were used to draw and harness energy. I'm sure they go back farther but what the heck! I got involved with reiki because I somehow got the notion that in order to become complete in the art I had to study a healing discipline. I'm not sure where this came from, perhaps I read it somewhere or got it from someone I studied with. I'm not quite sure why it would be surprising that someone would continue to study but hey, different strokes for different folks. We all have our paths to walk and I wouldn't think to criticize someone elses, I know better thank goodness. Now again, I'm not presenting any of this as fact, just how things seem to me. I'm sure everyone will come to their own conclusions in time, me, I have a ways to go but I'd like to think I'm traveling my way with grace and beauty. I guess this is enough for now as it's after one in the morning. I'd like to attend the ballet tonight if I'm up to it as the ABT is dancing Romeo and Juliet at the Met.
And so, I remain In Light,
Vajrapani :smt007
Carlos

Breena

Post by Breena » Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:40 am

Hello Everyone,

I love these questions!!

I am a Reiki MT and have had many experiences.

I believe distant and in person attunments have their purpose but neither is better then the other.  If we believe we can send distant Reiki to those in need then why not be able to receive a distant attunment?

I have had several experiences of healing energy from people that have not been attuned at all!!  These people are gifted with the knowledge that we are all healers and can pull the healing energy from the Universe as needed.  It is natural for them.

Bright Blessings,
Breena
May the peace, joy and love of all the universe be with you always!

Gem

Post by Gem » Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:25 pm

Hi Breena, Welcome to Mystic Board.

Lovely to hear your views.  I was wondering....
I have had several experiences of healing energy from people that have not been attuned at all!!  These people are gifted with the knowledge that we are all healers and can pull the healing energy from the Universe as needed.  It is natural for them.
Is there the possibility then that some even after attunements can't use the energy?

starryskies

Post by starryskies » Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:30 pm

Maybe if they do not have good or pure intentions...? Or they are ill themselves & their "energy" in general is low...? Interesting post.

Rohiniranjan

Post by Rohiniranjan » Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:04 pm

[quote="Gem"]Hi Breena, Welcome to Mystic Board.

Lovely to hear your views.  I was wondering....[quote]I have had several experiences of healing energy from people that have not been attuned at all!!  These people are gifted with the knowledge that we are all healers and can pull the healing energy from the Universe as needed.  It is natural for them.[/quote] Is there the possibility then that some even after attunements can't use the energy?[/quote]

Yes if the 'teacher' is a fraud and with your extensive multi-modality learning I am sure you must have run into a few <guffaw>

RR

Mystic Meg

Post by Mystic Meg » Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:43 pm

And how would one tell if a teacher is a fraud? Personally &nbsp;I think there &nbsp;would be clues. But why would anyone want to say they are a teacher of reiki if they weren't?
I guess some might want the money or need the income but surely if you are going to pay for a reiki attunement you will want the certificate and manual that goes with it and that will show the master's complete lineage which can easily be checked. Some of the free online attunements are very dodgey, so many don't seem to work or actually take place.

I seem to be answering my own questions here don't I lol?

Rohiniranjan

Post by Rohiniranjan » Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:02 pm

in part, yes.

If you ask around, just the certificate and stated lineage alone is not insurance enough.

Anyway, I would hate to drift from the thread which to me is not "How to find a fraudulent Teacher?"

Peace,

RR

[quote="Mystic Meg"][color=indigo]And how would one tell if a teacher is a fraud? Personally  I think there  would be clues. But why would anyone want to say they are a teacher of reiki if they weren't?
I guess some might want the money or need the income but surely if you are going to pay for a reiki attunement you will want the certificate and manual that goes with it and that will show the master's complete lineage which can easily be checked. Some of the free online attunements are very dodgey, so many don't seem to work or actually take place.

I seem to be answering my own questions here don't I lol?[/color][/quote]

Gem

Post by Gem » Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:48 pm

rohiniranjan wrote: If you ask around, just the certificate and stated lineage alone is not insurance enough.

Anyway, I would hate to drift from the thread which to me is not "How to find a fraudulent Teacher?"

But it is a valid point?

When thinking of attunements it makes sense to find a good reiki teacher that people can get on with and that can support and fully answer all those questions?

Why do you say that certificate and lineage is not enough? What else would you look for? &nbsp;I realise that certificates are so easily faked with a computer, but lineage should always be given and should be easy to track and check.

Rohiniranjan

Post by Rohiniranjan » Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:28 pm

Even an individual's real age though so obvious is difficult to check these days ;-)

All the rest of the evidence lineage and all could be as imaginary as that, won't you agree?

RR

[quote="Gem"][quote="rohiniranjan"]
If you ask around, just the certificate and stated lineage alone is not insurance enough.

[/quote]

But it is a valid point?

When thinking of attunements it makes sense to find a good reiki teacher that people can get on with and that can support and fully answer all those questions?

Why do you say that certificate and lineage is not enough? What else would you look for?  I realise that certificates are so easily faked with a computer, but lineage should always be given and should be easy to track and check.[/quote]

Magewyntyr

here's an opinion!!

Post by Magewyntyr » Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:35 am

After reading some of the recent posts I wondered what everyone's ideas are on reiki 'attunements'?

Sorry about that last post Gem, it was way off topic. Back to the topic...

I do believe that it is possible to channel reiki without an attunement. But you also have to prepare and work for it. &nbsp;"The word Reiki comes from two Japanese words - Rei and Ki, meaning Universal Life Force Energy. The term "Reiki" is used to describe both the energy and the Usui system of using it." (Google search web definition)

Everyone is already tapped into the universal energy. This energy is in every, living thing. It's what makes the plants grow, and galaxies form. It's what makes the world turn. But reiki is also the system that Usui developed
to use this energy. It's like lightning and trying to harness it as electricity. Electric impulses are in all living creatures. It is all over in the world and around us. We are already a part of it. Knowing how to use electricity is the system.
(does this make sense to ya'll?)

I think that if we were to sit down and contemplate the universe and its energies, we may end up in the same place that Usui did. He came up with a system to connect with universal energy. Thus, enlightening his students as well as healing them. He made a tighter bond between the physical body and the natural world around them.

The symbols that he used each had their own vibration. Like sounds. Certain sounds have a vibration that can either pierce straight into your head and give you a splitting headache; or, soothe your jagged nerves into a total state of calm and harmony.

Getting a student to strengthen the bond with the universal energy is the goal. Using the symbols and their vibrations is an easier way of accomplishing this. The end result is a person that is healed physically and mentally, through all five states of body. (Physical/Etheric, Emotional, Mental, Spiritual, and Enlightenment)

This is my take on the whole thing. How's it sound to ya'll?
Wyntyr

Gem

Post by Gem » Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:55 am

Hi Wyntyr,
"The word Reiki comes from two Japanese words - Rei and Ki, meaning Universal Life Force Energy. The term "Reiki" is used to describe both the energy and the Usui system of using it." (Google search web definition)
In fact in Japan the term 'reiki' means any spiritual healing energy. They use the term 'Usui reiki shiki ryoho' to mean specifically Usui reiki., and it basically means Usui Method of Reiki Healing

That gives a whole new meaning to reiki I think?

SilvaWitch

Post by SilvaWitch » Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:41 am

Hi,
I had my level one attunement about 7yrs ago, and i felt it was a wonderfully freeing experience for me.
I believe that an 'attunement' is not an absolute must in order to be able to heal with energy, however i felt that for me it strengthened by connection and provided me with further tools to be able to use a gift that i was only partially aware of.

I really like the way Wyntyr put it ...
"Getting a student to strengthen the bond with the universal energy is the goal. Using the symbols and their vibrations is an easier way of accomplishing this. The end result is a person that is healed physically and mentally, through all five states of body. (Physical/Etheric, Emotional, Mental, Spiritual, and Enlightenment) "

My attunement was one on one with my Reiki master, and i do think that this was the best way for me.
While I have not had any distance attunements, I see no reason that these could not work, as I see all life and objects as interconnected (IE on an energy level).
if we are focusing on our connection with one particular object or person, and we have the "tools", discipline and inner balance, I believe that we can effect that object/person.

During the attunement, the main things i experienced were a rush of energy, I guess the best way to describe it would be like a dam breaking through it's wall and clearing the path so that the river of energy was no longer moving at a "trickle".
The other thing that i experienced were a couple of vivid visions, and for me that was very unusual as I do not normally experience or have visions of that nature.

While the time has not come about for me to carry on to level 2 and higher, I will (when it's the right time), definitely do these.
But it is not really for the attunements, it is about the further knowledge, understanding and tools that they can provide me with.

well that's my thoughts :)
BB
:) SilvaWitch :)

Return to “Reiki”