Archetypal pursuers

Learn to analyse and understand the meaning of your dreams.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

Lorin

Archetypal pursuers

Post by Lorin » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:53 pm

I have an idea about this dream’s meaning, but I’d still love to hear thoughts from experienced interpreters.  It’s definitely very archetypal.

I’m being pursued by a woman who perhaps is my sister or a once close friend.  She has “turned” and I am afraid of her.  She is like a firestarter of sorts, with magical, dark powers.  She keeps chasing me and I keep running.  Always she confronts me with the inevitability of me joining her.  Finally, thinking I am safe in my room (geography of this house is completely foreign to me), I open the door and a black figure is there.  It is somewhat shorter than me and solid, but completely black.  I decide that with no other choice, I will fight.  I begin ripping at him and the part of the black “case” comes off.  Inside is an old man with long white hair.  I yell at him, demanding to know who he is.  He answers only Spritus.  Dream shifts and now it seems that I have joined the woman.  The last scene of the dream, we are sitting out on the lawn and “comparing notes”. There is no longer fear or apprehension of her. Details of the discussion are lost.

Rook

Post by Rook » Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:09 pm

Lorin,

I agree, this dream does seem very archetypal, especially from a Jungian perspective.  Are you familiar with his individuation process?

The dream woman would match perfectly the shadow.  It is natural for us to flee our shadow selves - the parts of us we consciously suppress because we do not like those aspects of our personality.  But it is when we confront this shadow self, we break through to a deeper understanding of ourself and come to the mana personality - the wise old man.

And it is through this process of comparing notes with our shadow selves that we gain a deeper understanding of ourselves.  This dream illustrates the concept quite clearly from my point of view.

Cheers,
Rook

Lorin

Post by Lorin » Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:35 am

Thanks so much, RooK!

I've read several Jung books, but I don't specifically recall his individuation process.  I'll have to go back and look for that.

Rook

Post by Rook » Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:27 pm

Yep

I can also recommend http://www.mythsdreamssymbols.com/ as being a good source to gain understanding of the process.

Return to “Dream Interpretation”