How to understand the mystery teachings on God/Source?

Post your thoughts and views here.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

3rivers

How to understand the mystery teachings on God/Source?

Post by 3rivers » Tue May 26, 2015 7:53 am

During my spiritual path and when i reach my higherself, i feel Source is  LOVE, always positive, but lately i read something and i also feel related, i m a bit confused now.

Tree of Life from the Esoteric Kabbalah you see God as being depicted in the left Hand Path (Pillar of Mercy) as well as the Right Hand Path (Pillar of Severity).

God is both Darkness and Light.
God is both good and evil.
God is both love and hate.

Can anyone help me to understand this?
Thanks a lot!   :)

eye_of_tiger
Site Admin

Post by eye_of_tiger » Tue May 26, 2015 11:22 pm

You could write an entire book about what different people believe this to mean, but I will try to explain what I think that it means in simple terms.

DUALITY is the principle that for everything which exists there is an opposite.

These opposites exist in pairs.

There are two opposites in each pair.

Duality equals two.

For example light and darkness, good and evil, love and hate.

Male and female.

And it is taught that one cannot exist without the other.

Without first experiencing darkness, how can one fully appreciate the light?

Without sadness, how can one fully know joy?

Without evil, can we ever fully appreciate what is good and true?

Indeed much of the Bible is involved with the ongoing battle between the polar opposites of good and evil.

If God encompasses everything which exists, then this includes these pairs of opposites.

Which is what I think that these verses are attempting to express.

There is a very big difference between saying that God encompasses  evil, and saying that God is evil.

Just as a parent sometimes needs to be cruel to be kind to their child, God as our parent may need to at times discipline us with some severity, for us to be able to eventually recognise and accept his mercy.

God may need to remove or destroy what is getting in the way of our healing, just like a surgeon may need to remove dead and decaying tissue to allow a wound to fully heal.

Therefore God must also have a more severe disciplinary and destructive aspect, in order that both mercy and healing when the person recognises the error of their ways and changes their behaviour to something better, can continue.

EoT

3rivers

Post by 3rivers » Thu May 28, 2015 8:06 am

Thank u , eye of Tiger, it makes me feel better....
there is still a lot to learn and to do with my inner work.

eye_of_tiger
Site Admin

The longest journey

Post by eye_of_tiger » Fri May 29, 2015 10:36 pm

You are very welcome. :)
The more that we learn, the more that we discover there is still left to be learned.

The longest journey begins with the first step.

Success isn't how far you have got, but it is the distance which you have traveled from where you started.

Namaste,

EoT  Image

Rohiniranjan

Re: The longest journey

Post by Rohiniranjan » Sat May 30, 2015 8:49 pm

eye_of_tiger wrote:You are very welcome. :)
The more that we learn, the more that we discover there is still left to be learned.

The longest journey begins with the first step.

Success isn't how far you have got, but it is the distance which you have traveled from where you started.

Namaste,

EoT  Image
Sounds true, but in that case how would one distinguish between the successful and those that were merely running away ...? :smt017

eye_of_tiger
Site Admin

Post by eye_of_tiger » Sat May 30, 2015 10:17 pm

Those who are successful would only be moving in one direction.

FORWARDS!

While those who are running away from life's challenges would be moving in every direction, other than forwards.

EoT  :smt002  :smt002

Rohiniranjan

Post by Rohiniranjan » Sat May 30, 2015 10:48 pm

eye_of_tiger wrote:Those who are successful would only be moving in one direction.

FORWARDS!

While those who are running away from life's challenges would be moving in every direction, other than forwards.

EoT  :smt002  :smt002
That is the KEY!
FORWARDS, towards Love and Light...!

Wholeheartedly agree, my friend!!

With due deference to mystical conceptualizations:
Darkness is negative and can only suck energy (vitality) and is like a vampire.

The aim and measure of success is moving towards light. Which to me has always represented GOD. The light within! Too many see and seek it externally...?

eye_of_tiger
Site Admin

Post by eye_of_tiger » Sat May 30, 2015 11:16 pm

Of course any progress made often means one step forwards closely followed by two steps backwards, but as long as the overall direction is forwards, it is still progress.

EoT :smt017

Rohiniranjan

Post by Rohiniranjan » Sat May 30, 2015 11:54 pm

eye_of_tiger wrote:Of course any progress made often means one step forwards closely followed by two steps backwards, but as long as the overall direction is forwards, it is still progress.

EoT :smt017
Yes a slippery slope with progress often feeling like molasses running uphill  :smt013  :smt010

During the first two-three decades it may seem a bit or even a lot  :smt009  :smt017 but as years roll along, and if one allows oneself to grow, even when the chassis gets rustier and wearier, for most, the 'nut' behind the wheel does begin to seem like the most important part in the car! At least in terms of where the vehicle must proceed, generally speaking...?

As long as the windshield is kept clean and the headlamps (Light?) are kept in good repair.

Rook

Post by Rook » Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:01 pm

Divinity encompasses both good and evil. We don't think about it much but just to make it through everyday we must inflict pain and death on others to continue living (eating). Life in itself is terrible, but also the way in which we experience splendour and the power of love in the world. I think in our modern culture we are to blinded to this as our food comes in convenient packets and we lose our association of where it comes from, and lose a degree of respect for life and what we do to survive. We lose respect for nature. We lose respect for divinity and the mysteries.

In my experience one of the keys to the mysteries is balance in all the dualities. Look at I think it was Israel Regardie (I pay more attention to what is said rather than who said it) and the importance of the middle pillar in the Kabbalah. When you think of all those dualities, its bloody hard work... Its the razor bridge from the grail legends, and a few other tales too. A most difficult path is this.

Best of luck on your journeys..

Return to “General Discussion”