Split Personality

Post your thoughts and views here.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

swetha
Site Admin

Split Personality

Post by swetha » Sun Oct 21, 2007 2:26 pm

Hi people,
Does anyone of you ever had an experience with someone having a split personality.. like Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde :smt003

I used to think this is all make believe.. but not any more.. maybe understanding of what it is makes me think this way.

What do u feel? Is it a mental disorder or crap?

stan

hint

Post by stan » Sun Oct 21, 2007 3:31 pm

It's sort of like what your doing now.

djberg98

Post by djberg98 » Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:04 pm

I was a psych nurse for a while and have been around quite a few people like this.  Whether or not it's a load of crap depends on the person.  I know a couple of people that have faked it for the attention and the disability payments.  They are really good.  So good that the doctor wouldn't believe me and a few others when we tried to tell him they were faking.  That's only because he didn't spend as much time around them as we did.

atharva_sharma2004

Post by atharva_sharma2004 » Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:38 pm

i am also in doubt ..........

Gem

Post by Gem » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:28 pm

It's real and part of a scientifically proved condition called schizophrenia, which can be caused by trauma, extreme emotional or physical stress, chemical or hormonal imbalances or brain tumours.

spiritalk

Post by spiritalk » Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:52 pm

And on an ongoing basis, a socially defunct person can stalk the healthy.
God bless, J

||*Henry*||

Post by ||*Henry*|| » Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:37 pm

Schizophrenia Is Not "Split Personality"
There is a common misconception that schizophrenia is the same as
a "split personality"  such as a Dr. Jekyll-Mr. Hyde switch in character.
Another related  misconception is that schizophrenia results in several different
personalities, and the individual switches between these different personas.

These perceptions are not correct. Such characterizations could be a part
of several other possible mental disorders, such as Multiple Personality Disorder, Borderline Personality Disorder or Bi-polar Disorder, but only if other specific
symptoms are also present. These symptoms are not descriptive of schizophrenia.

Definition of Split Personality: “A relatively rare dissociative disorder in which the usual integrity of the personality breaks down and two or more independent personalities emerge”.

In this world today, there are a lot of unbelievable diseases. One of them is the disease of human's mind, and a split personality is counted as one of the disease. Not many of people around the world believe if this disease really exists or not, or they rather think that the person is acting.

Explanation: There is no category or phenomenon in psychiatry called split personality. The term is commonly used in popular language to indicate a contradictory or drastically and dramatically alternating type of behavior of the"Jekyll and Hyde" type. It is often confused with the medical illness of schizophrenia because the etymology of the latter (from the Greek schizein, to split + phren, mind) suggests, misleadingly, that schizophrenia is a type of split personality. In schizophrenia, however, the splitting is within one single personality as the individual's thoughts, feelings and emotions are seriously and confusingly disconnected from each other in a chaotic and random fashion. Schizophrenic individuals, far from having split or multiple personalities, actually have a great struggle maintaining the coherence and integrity of even a single self.
||*Henry*||

spiritalk

Post by spiritalk » Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:38 pm

There are certainly many and varied mental illnesses - just as there are physical body illnesses.  I like the explanations we are getting to help us see where it fits.  

There are also social and emotional aberations that cause a lot of problems.  Stalking comes to mind.  When someone is so fixated on another person, they even steal their life experiences as their own.
God bless, J

Prof. Akers

Post by Prof. Akers » Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:53 pm

When I was fostering (which I did for many years) I had one young man who really was two people in one, the'normal' one was a nice, personable young man, good smile, good speaking voice and quite charming, the other one would rape your granny - literally (and did).
They are out there and you really cannot tell until they change.

Gem

Post by Gem » Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:09 pm

||*Henry*|| wrote: There is a common misconception that schizophrenia is the same as
a "split personality"  such as a Dr. Jekyll-Mr. Hyde switch in character.
Another related  misconception is that schizophrenia results in several different
personalities, and the individual switches between these different personas.
Henry, I don't agree with you and neither does my consultant. Your reply may be pc now, but I'm afraid at least some of the medical profession do NOt agree with you.

djberg98

Post by djberg98 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:11 pm

||*Henry*|| wrote: Explanation: There is no category or phenomenon in psychiatry called split personality.
Sorry I have to disagree with you here.  Not only is this illness in the textbooks that I had for psych class in nursing school, but in working in a few different psychiatric facilities, I can assure you that there is a split personality disorder.  It is commonly associated with other disorders because so many of them have similar symptoms.  Mental illness is just coming to the forefront after being considered a major taboo for so many years.  In just the 30 years I've been around, I've seen some major advances in treatments.

||*Henry*||

Post by ||*Henry*|| » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:38 am

Pardon me if i sound rude at all, but although i am only 14 years old i am studying: Internal medicine - level 2  (University of Canterbury)
321-429 Neurosciences. biological psychiatry, neurology  
435-571 Psychiatry
554-569 Personality disorders, behaviour problems including drug abuse, child abuse etc.  
569-571 Developmental disabilities.  
952-1245 Special situations and conditions e.g. geriatrics.

My Grandmother has been psychiatric nursing for over 40 years and i have at least 3 people i my life (close to me) who are diagnosed schizophrenics...

This is from the Wiki (from which you will find a large range of references to literature and external links providing substantial evidence of my claims, written by world renowned psychiatrists, associations and medical journals which are very modern and updated):

Dissociative identity disorder
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Dissociative Identity Disorder (DID), as defined by the American Psychiatric Association's Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-IV-TR), is a mental condition whereby a single individual evidences two or more distinct identities or personalities, each with its own pattern of perceiving and interacting with the environment. The diagnosis requires that at least two personalities routinely take control of the individual's behavior and that there is associated memory loss that goes beyond normal forgetfulness, often referred to as losing time or acute Dissociative Amnesia[1]. The symptoms of DID must not be the direct result of substance abuse or a more general medical condition in order to be diagnosed. DID was originally named Multiple Personality Disorder (MPD), and, as referenced above, that name remains in the International Statistical Classification of Diseases and Related Health Problems.

This condition is not an equivalent for schizophrenia (DSM-IV Schizophrenia and Other Psychotic Disorders), as is a common misconception. The term schizophrenia comes from root words for "split mind," but refers more to a fracture in the normal functioning of the brain, than the personality. It makes people think they are two or more different people...check out the link for moe info (dont forget to take out the space between the http and the colon)
http ://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dissociative_identity_disorder
Last edited by ||*Henry*|| on Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

||*Henry*||

Post by ||*Henry*|| » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:43 am

djberg98 wrote:
||*Henry*|| wrote: Explanation: There is no category or phenomenon in psychiatry called split personality.
Sorry I have to disagree with you here.  Not only is this illness in the textbooks that I had for psych class in nursing school, but in working in a few different psychiatric facilities, I can assure you that there is a split personality disorder.  It is commonly associated with other disorders because so many of them have similar symptoms.  Mental illness is just coming to the forefront after being considered a major taboo for so many years.  In just the 30 years I've been around, I've seen some major advances in treatments.
I am not trying to state there is no such disorder...just that the term "split personality" is a widely used slang terminology and therefore misleading (imeo).
||*Henry*||

flight _of_angelwings

Post by flight _of_angelwings » Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:54 am

Swetha,

Its time to consult a profesional regarding the person you speak of and take inventory of what you want and need.
There can be explanations of chemical imbalances, hormonal, and drug use, anxiety, anger.......these can all change a person.  sometimes it is only due to cicrumstance and will revert back to a normal acceptance for loved ones.  Other times intervention is required and monitoring needed.
If you need to ask then you need to react.
Take care my friend!

swetha
Site Admin

Post by swetha » Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:56 pm

you know.. this thought about split persoanlity just came to my mind and I posted here, knowing I would get answers. I am not too sure. But I think it does exist. maybe the term is confused with other disorders but I guess professional help is the best way to understand this.

Return to “General Discussion”