Some Thoughts On Astrology

Learn about the influence on your life of the planetary positions, and their placement in the various astrological houses.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123, RishiRahul

Benevolentwizard

Some Thoughts On Astrology

Post by Benevolentwizard » Fri Jul 01, 2005 1:08 am

Greetings:

I have started looking around the site to see what I can learn about how things work and where best to place my comments. The Sun Signs board seems a rather self limiting to me so. This board seems to fit my purposes the best so I will do most of my postings here.
Sun signs are much like the tip of an iceberg. They represent the barest tip of what astrology is. From what I have seen on the message boards here so far, the membership here ranges from the novice to well experienced astrologers. Many of my post will be geared to the novice and those begining to explore the depth of astrology but I hope I can also find some serious discussions here as well.
Those who have studied astrology for any length of time have discovered there are many schools of thought in astrology. I hope some future posts will begin to bring some of these out as well. I have a couple posts in mind to stimulate some conversations.
To those who are new to astrology are just beginning to learn, I will try and and answer as many questions as I can. If you have some area of astrology you would like to know more about, please feel free to ask. Anyway, that is enough for now. I will be posting again soon.

Ben

mbs730

Post by mbs730 » Fri Jul 01, 2005 2:07 am

Hi there, I am quite knowledgable with Western natal astrology but I am very interested in learning more about horary. Are you experienced in that? I gotta say too, even though because of ethics I wouldnt do it but I have a heavy 8th house, so I am curious, do you know how to find the hyleg and alcoccoden?

Miriam

Benevolentwizard

Post by Benevolentwizard » Fri Jul 01, 2005 3:00 am

Greetings Meriam:

That's a pretty arcane question to start any line of inquiry. Very few astrologers use Hyleg as much for the ethical reasons as anything else. (By the way Alcohoden is just another term for Hyleg). I am not sure I completly understand all the various rules for determining the Hyleg when there are multiple candidates. Nor does there seem to be one standard system for calculation for determining the Hylegiacal arcs. Generally speaking they range 20 to 25 degree on either side of the cusps of the 1st, 7th, 9th, and 11th houses. However if you go all the way back to Ptolemy, he used the 5 degrees preceeding and the 25 degrees following the cusp of these houses. Of course you also have to get by the variations of different houses as well. As I said before, this is one of the more arcane area's of astrology and I am by no means an expert on the subject. I would have to do some serious digging to come up with any more on the subject.

Ben

mbs730

Post by mbs730 » Fri Jul 01, 2005 3:05 am

Okay, shows you right there how much I know lol, probably meant to say anareta instead of alcoccoden. Thanks for the swift reply :)

Miriam

Benevolentwizard

Post by Benevolentwizard » Fri Jul 01, 2005 3:19 am

Greetings Again Miriam:

The Anaretic Arcs would be calculated off of the 4th, 6th, 8th, and 12th houses.

Ben

dan.gabriel

Apollo and Pluto/Scorpio Connection

Post by dan.gabriel » Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:27 am

Hi there! I'm just new to the board.

I've been studying the myths associated with the signs and right now I'm bothered with a certain connection if I may call it that. Scorpio is traditionally associated with Pluto. Scorpio and the planet Pluto deals with destruction of the self to recreate, ergo self-transformation, with the Phoenix myth associated with it. The Phoenix is also associated the sun gods Ra (Egypt) and Phoebus Apollo (Greek). And I find it intriguing that Apollo came from a root word that meant "to destroy." Apollo has many myths that are concerned with destroying something and rebuilding something (e.g. the Pythian monster and the city and temple of the Pythian oracle that was rebuilt after that).

There's also a planet (which has not yet been discovered yet) named Apollo which is closely linked with the current rulership of Venus over both Taurus and Libra. Will the discovery of Apollo signal a co-rulership of Taurus or of Libra? I gravitate more to Taurus since the Apollo and Pluto myths will correspond with the Taurus-Scorpio axis.

Am I just over-reading things? What do you think?

Benevolentwizard

Post by Benevolentwizard » Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:41 am

Greetings Dan

First, the traditional ruler of Scorpio was Mars. Pluto was given rulership of Scorpio after it's discovery. Personally I find there is still a strong Mars element in the Scorpio nature. But that is a longer post.

The main point of this reply is about using mythological sources to fill in the nature of astrological influences. The 5 historical planets, Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter and Saturn were all named after traditional gods. However, the names of each of these planets were given because these where the influences that best represented the the nature of the planet.
With the advent of the telescope, modern astronomy has had to name a great many objects. Astronomers have found thousands of asteriods, and a dozen new Centaurs are being discovered each year. Many of these new bodies have yet to be given official names yet but the naming process has nothing to do with any possible astrological influence. Using the mythological heritage of these new names could prove very problematic. What would happen is say a new Planetiod was named "Popeye". Would this new planetiod then be said to govern the eating of green leafy veggies; the attraction to women with vey flat chests; the willingness to get in knock-down drag-out fights with big burly men? To me, if there is an astrological influence in any of these new bodies, they need to be studied and learned, not pulled from the happenstance of names pulled out of dusty mythological text books. Enough evidence has now been accumlated about Uranus, Neptune and Pluto to have a reasonable confidence in their astrological natures. Speculation is all fine and well, but it doesn't replace good solid research gain from well documented case study.

Ben

Return to “Planets and Houses”