Reversals - When reversals are reversed!

For Tarot discussions and general questions.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123, TarotModerator

Cascade of Light

Reversals - When reversals are reversed!

Post by Cascade of Light » Sat May 28, 2011 12:21 pm

Many people think that when over half the cards laid down in a spread are reversed the deck, the reading should be stopped because the deck is actually reversed.

My question is... to those of you that purposely create reversals when do you know if your deck is the right way up or not?

Do you think it is upright if more than half of the cards are upright?
Do you ever check?
Or do you just pick up the deck and shuffle and draw without checking the percentage of reversals?

Would you ever stop a reading because there were too many reversals?
A cascade of light shone down on me, then the angels spoke, and set me free,
Cas x

suzisco

Post by suzisco » Sat May 28, 2011 4:35 pm

Thats a really interesting question,
I use the cards to tell a story and so it matters not to me what way the cards are as its just a tool to sharpen my other senses.
Enjoy when you can and endure when you must.
Everydays Predictions - Symbols - Picture Reading - Spirituality    Please support Mystic Board Donate Here

cedars
Tarot reader

Post by cedars » Sat May 28, 2011 7:42 pm

I have come across people who cut the deck into three and they deliberately turn one of the groups (cuts) upside down and mix the three cuts together hence creating a good number of reversed cards.

I do not do any of these. I do not even make havoc with the cards on the floor in order to intentionally create reversals. When I shuffle the deck I make sure I am shuffling the deck being in an upright position. But, IF and WHEN I get reversals, then I pay a lot more attention to that crad than otherwise if I had intentionally doctored and created reversals manually.

Yes, I have also seen readers who would stop reading if a good proportion of the cards were reversed e.g. in a Celtric Cross type of spread, if out of the 10 cards, five were reversed.

ThePilgrim

Post by ThePilgrim » Sat May 28, 2011 8:23 pm

I guess that making cards intentionally reversed by shuffling the deck accordingly is in a way forcing the deck to behave so. I never focus on shuffling the decks any special way just to get reversals especially. I leave it upto the cards. And if reversals come in a reading, I do pay them attention.

cedars
Tarot reader

Post by cedars » Sat May 28, 2011 8:24 pm

ThePilgrim wrote:I guess that making cards intentionally reversed by shuffling the deck accordingly is in a way forcing the deck to behave so. I never focus on shuffling the decks any special way just to get reversals especially. I leave it upto the cards. And if reversals come in a reading, I do pay them attention.
My thoughts exactly.

ThePilgrim

Post by ThePilgrim » Sat May 28, 2011 8:33 pm

cedars wrote:
ThePilgrim wrote:I guess that making cards intentionally reversed by shuffling the deck accordingly is in a way forcing the deck to behave so. I never focus on shuffling the decks any special way just to get reversals especially. I leave it upto the cards. And if reversals come in a reading, I do pay them attention.
My thoughts exactly.
Also, as the number of reversed cards start increasing in a reading, my attention to the reversals start decreasing.

George

Re: Reversals - When reversals are reversed!

Post by George » Sat May 28, 2011 9:55 pm

Cascade of Light wrote:Many people think that when over half the cards laid down in a spread are reversed the deck, the reading should be stopped because the deck is actually reversed.

My question is... to those of you that purposely create reversals when do you know if your deck is the right way up or not?

Do you think it is upright if more than half of the cards are upright?
Do you ever check?
Or do you just pick up the deck and shuffle and draw without checking the percentage of reversals?

Would you ever stop a reading because there were too many reversals?
I know you are asking for people that “purposely create reversals”.  But I figure I still offer my 2 cents on the matter.
I shuffle my deck by just placing them on a brown cloth, that I get them wrapped in, and just shuffle them without worry on about how they come out.  I leave it up to the cards.  I make no effort what so ever to make them fall anyway.  As for reading reverse, sometimes I do sometimes I don’t . :smt006
Common sense dictates there is no such thing as common sense.

Cascade of Light

Post by Cascade of Light » Sun May 29, 2011 2:30 pm

Thanks for all your replies.. Am I to presume that you all check which way up your deck is then by taking a look before shuffling etc?

George, my question arose from your last reading, your pictures lol. :) If for instance 7 out of 10 cards were reversed might the deck not have been upside down and therefore negate the reading or give a wrong reading? Or am I to assume that the reading came about like that because whatever law governs readings made it happen so it must be right?
Cas x

George

Post by George » Mon May 30, 2011 11:10 pm

Cascade of Light wrote:Thanks for all your replies.. Am I to presume that you all check which way up your deck is then by taking a look before shuffling etc?

George, my question arose from your last reading, your pictures lol. :) If for instance 7 out of 10 cards were reversed might the deck not have been upside down and therefore negate the reading or give a wrong reading? Or am I to assume that the reading came about like that because whatever law governs readings made it happen so it must be right?
If you know you are going to read reverse cards and then in the middle of the reading you decided not to read reverse cards; now you have changed the rules therefore you may “negate” the reading.  You can make the rules or use someone else’s rules to read Tarot and it will work.  But you have to know how you are going to read when you start to make the reading work.   :smt006
Common sense dictates there is no such thing as common sense.

Cascade of Light

Post by Cascade of Light » Tue May 31, 2011 3:40 pm

So really nobody understands me, or nobody actually checks which way up the deck is? Interesting lol.
Cas x

cedars
Tarot reader

Post by cedars » Tue May 31, 2011 4:47 pm

cedars wrote: I do not do any of these. I do not even make havoc with the cards on the floor in order to intentionally create reversals. When I shuffle the deck I make sure I am shuffling the deck being in an upright position. But, IF and WHEN I get reversals, then I pay a lot more attention to that crad than otherwise if I had intentionally doctored and created reversals manually.
Of course I understand what you are saying. I have said so, haven't I?
What is there not to undestand?

Cascade of Light

Post by Cascade of Light » Tue May 31, 2011 5:25 pm

Cedars, yep, your position was clear, but you do not routinely use reversals?
Cas x

cedars
Tarot reader

Post by cedars » Tue May 31, 2011 5:28 pm

I do 'respect' a reversal when it shows up despite my efforts not to 'cause' one or any :)
And, I do take that a spart of my reading and do not ignore it.

Cascade of Light

Post by Cascade of Light » Tue May 31, 2011 8:58 pm

I know you do. I am sure you will agree with me in wondering how those that choose to use reversals and that create them, then check to see if their deck is upright or reversed? Do they each time before a reading turn each card upright, then divide into 3 decks and turn one for instance? of do they perhaps next time pick up the deck and it is already upside down? Do you understand me now?
Cas x

cedars
Tarot reader

Post by cedars » Tue May 31, 2011 9:13 pm

Cascade of Light wrote:I know you do. I am sure you will agree with me in wondering how those that choose to use reversals and that create them, then check to see if their deck is upright or reversed? Do they each time before a reading turn each card upright, then divide into 3 decks and turn one for instance? of do they perhaps next time pick up the deck and it is already upside down? Do you understand me now?
Oh,yes, I know what you mean with that one Cassie. My guess? I dont thin they do.. In fact, I did interact with a newbie here who was adamant she would cut the deck into three piles and reverse the second  pile and then shuffle the whole deck again. I presume, the next time she gives a reading, she will follow the same procedure hence increasing the number of reversals. Right? For those who do follow that route, and  in an idea world, all the cards must be put back in an upright position after a reading and then do the sequence of cutting the deck into three piles and choosing one pile upside down.  But it would be interesting to hear if anyone who does follow that route, does in fact reset the cards for their next reading?

I see the point you are making and it would be very interesting indeed to hear from those who do intentionally create reversals as to how they handle each reading.

Return to “Tarot”