My first card--Ace of Cups.

For Tarot discussions and general questions.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123, TarotModerator

Payewacker

My first card--Ace of Cups.

Post by Payewacker » Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:00 pm

Payewacker’s Tarot.

Ace of Cups.
This is the first card designed and drawn by me. This drawing actually stemmed from a different purpose altogether. Out of the need for more artwork on our walls, being known as “The Artist’s Café”, I thought to do a design, which is a little “ of the trodden road” . The face and the blocks was supposed to be at the bottom looking up and above it a glass filled with wine, a King submerged halfway in the wine and two Queens on the blocks, broken in half –chess. But, getting clients, I put it away, upside down. That was when it struck me, I’m going to design a deck, this is where it started. Thus, my other thought, out of the window. Now we have a right side up Ace of Cups.

A very important consideration, was to retain the symbolism as seen on the RW. We find the dove transforming into a face with the round and cross as centerpiece on the forehead. The blocks pour into the golden chalice streams of silver and blue. From the cup we find five slits pouring water into the lake. The chalice being supported by the flower of the water lily. The face replaced the hand. The brows will be painted in silver, the rest of the face will be light blue.

I have not inserted the Yods yet. I actually did, but they were too big and cluttered the entire drawing. I will, after the card has been painted, minise a copy to the size of the actual cards, add the Yods, blow it up again, and paint the Yods onto the finished painting. I am considering making the Yods gold as well.  

Give me some comments please!

Blessed be
Attachments
Francois Pictures 024.jpg
Francois Pictures 024.jpg (51.39 KiB) Viewed 5648 times

cedars
Tarot reader

Post by cedars » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:06 pm

Hello Payewacker,
That looks really good, especially the crown /head bit looking down into the Cup.
However, as far as the Cup iteself goes, I feel perhaps it should not have so many 'legs'?  I feel it may be losing its 'ridigity' or even the concept of a cup with all those column-like legs..
From here it looks to me like a marble font?

These are my inital comments so far.

Good  basis to start with and please let us see the colour version when you have it ready.

All the best with the project!!!!

Payewacker

Post by Payewacker » Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:57 pm

Hi Cedars,

Thank-you very much for your comments.

The five "legs" are the streams of water flowing out, I haven't added ripples or splashes, this will be done when I'm painting it.

I see what you mean on the Cup losing it's shape, I will make the streams narrower to show the cup better. I tried to put some at the back, but then lost the streams behind the cup again.

Your input is very important, because you pointed out something, which may confuse others or we loose the complete message the card should convey.

I can't wait for Mandy to bring the paints, we can find gold and silver here, but it's about 4 X the price.

I'm going to use this theme for all the Aces, replacing the "emblem" and adjusting the backgrounds.

Blessed be.

cedars
Tarot reader

Post by cedars » Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:34 pm

Cheers Payewacker

if you can find the space... how about adding some handles to the Cup?
Just an idea........

Payewacker

Post by Payewacker » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:18 am

Hi Cedars,

I haven't thought of that, there is space on the sides and what makes it easier is that it is absolutely symmetrical both sides. I also found a solution to the thick streams.

Although I had it like this, I took it out at first because the "pipes" was too long. I will redraw small spouts in the sides to accommodate thinner streams.
This is also easy, just run a hosepipe and copy the "action" quickly.

I want the "cup" itself to disperse the water, not really overflowing. The blending of a relationship with it's differing aspects is also the message I want to project.

I don't really know how translucent i would get the paint, because the streams is a mixture of silver and blue. I've never worked with solid silver and gold paint before.

An interesting aspect to the card is the dove transforming into a face with the disk as a center piece. In this, my message is that, love is freely given from above, how we receive and blend the emotions, from this point forward, is our own success or failure. Do we want to gain or "cost" a relationship, or will we give love freely?

Blessed be.

cedars
Tarot reader

Post by cedars » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:29 am

I was visualising it like a trophy cup :)
Yes, and I like the message about the dove transforming into a face..

Payewacker

Post by Payewacker » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:59 am

Hi Cedars,

Wow, that's it!

I will do the adjustments just now. Although most of the lines are very rigid and long bends, I got the same kind of idea, but will also extend it into the background with sweeping lines joining the sky. :smt008

Og, I'm really impressed with your inputs!!!!!!!!!!  :smt003

Blessed be.

Payewacker

Post by Payewacker » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:34 pm

Hi Cedars,
For now, I left the waterspouts, added an ornate handle, with knots in it. I don't know, can it symbolise our grasp and the "handle" which maybe twisted to represent  our feel and perception of a first love????

I did the alterations on a sheet of paper to make it easier for undoing anything, and to show the cup itself.

Having narrower streams will not be so distracting and probably show better against the cups gold.

Blessed be.
Attachments
Ruwart Tarot 006.jpg
Ruwart Tarot 006.jpg (47.13 KiB) Viewed 2300 times

cedars
Tarot reader

Post by cedars » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:29 pm

I like those handles PW.... and it is now looking a regal Cup... I like it.

I have yet to visualise the streams which, for me, will make the Ace of Cups complete.

Payewacker

Post by Payewacker » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:31 am

Hi Cedars,

A Lot better? I just think the handles should be a little heavier. I will do them today and also put the streams in.

If you look at the Robin Wood, he parted the streams at the base of the Cup and added the elemental spirits in the Cup, however his cup is made of glass, gold and silver. I think the full message is somewhat lost? Adding the elementals will be too much?

Blessed be.

cedars
Tarot reader

Post by cedars » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:21 am

You know what?
I like RobinWood's Cup, but I dont like the overflowing effect out of the cup; it is as though the cup is resting on some frozen ice particles rather than on a hand from through the clouds in Rider Waite.
Having said that, I also dont like the so-called artistry of the RW's four streams overflowing from the cup - they look like metal tubes. Sorry Pamela Coleman, even though I work with RW.

I am not suggesting that you change the whole artwork. Just expressing my personal opinion.

Payewacker

Post by Payewacker » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:38 am

I see what you mean,

That is why I wanted the Cup to rest on the flower, being "unstable" and subject to turbulence.

Blessed be.

cedars
Tarot reader

Post by cedars » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:42 am

Oh, my good man, Cups and emotions are always unstable................ (no pun intended) he he he.......

kybunker

Hi Payewacker & Cedars!

Post by kybunker » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:33 pm

I LOVE Tarot art!

I wish I could look at this card as I am writing my impressions about it.

I have to say, I love the inital card that was posted in this post
The crown and the flow of the water are in purrrfect harmony, the face in the center seems to be drinking from the endless flowing of the water

With the face in the center of the crown (points are up to the universe) and flow of water (pours down back into the river of the earth),
it shows me this person receives as well as they give or visa versa. (in harmony with the elements)

My favorite part is the background (Unpainted)
The background says to me, the universe is spaceous and we are in the midsts of it, everything is in alignment and we are blessed to be apart of it.
This card also says to me, there is only this moment, which I think is a beautiful place to be when there is love involved.

I have nothing to add to this card, I would love to have it in my collection As Is, I can not wait to explore your other cards.

cedars
Tarot reader

Post by cedars » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:34 pm

See now why we have missed you?

Return to “Tarot”