question about "past life" readings

For Tarot discussions and general questions.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123, TarotModerator

dafphodil

question about "past life" readings

Post by dafphodil » Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:50 am

so I do a lot of readings on myself. I've been into tarot for almost a year now. I really like trying new spreads. I keep a notebook just full of different layout designs and stuff. I like how the layout can portray your specific reading approach.. ANYWAY. so I tried this past life spread a few weeks ago. And of course, it totally enticed me. Then I just happen to flip "Death" and the reversed "Devil" as the two cards that separately represented two individual lives I had experience before the one I've found myself in in the present.

Now. Think about it. How freaked out would you be in you drew these cards? I myself didn't really fully believe in past lives, but I do somewhat believe in reincarnation of course. I just never considered that I may have had a life prior to the one I'm in. And in fact, that made a lot of sense in explaining why I think of myself to carry a sort of older wisdom than a lot of people.

And like anyone who would draw those two cards, it struck me as totally ^%&*%^&% freaky. The read then intertwined the two lives and demonstrated how they play together into what I am in the present. What do I flip? The Ten of Swords!!

So I called a psychic. She said to never do it to myself and if I ever wanted one, get somebody with a PHD. She said to make sure to call upon the white light of Jesus Christ to protect me from now in the beginning of all readings.

If anyone can explain the reason she might have had for those comments, I'd love to hear it. Though I was freaked out by the cards I'd drawn, they made a weird sense to me. I'm a sacrificial person. Very spiritual. And I've never been the type to look upon a figure for my strength, because I always found it myself. Though I believe in a universal spirit, I've always had an inner confidence.

I dunno. Now I'm rambling. I'd really like to understand my experience a little more without being shooed.
My desire for knowledge is intermittent;to commune with the spirit of the universe,intoxicated with the fumes of divine nectar,to bear my head through atmospheres and over heights unknown to my feet,is perennial and constant.

kybunker

Post by kybunker » Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:23 pm

That's interesting!
I've never done a past life reading with the cards.
Could you explain how you did it?
Is there reading materials on how to do that using the cards?
Thanks for your post

Gem

Post by Gem » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:46 pm

Hi,

Please don't be scared, there's nothing wrong with pulling Death and the Devil, reversed or not, but what is wrong imho is the 'Psychic ' saying those things. I have done plenty of past life readings with and without tarot or other decks and although I do agree that being regressed or doing a past life reading the first time on your own isn't recommended (especially for one so young) with the right information and guidance there should be no problem.

If you want us to take a look at your spread we need more details please, the deck used, the places and all the cards :)

Ladywiz00

Post by Ladywiz00 » Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:36 pm

I personally do not believe you need to find someone else to do a reading for you, unless you feel you'd rather someone else do it. Finding someone with a PHD makes no sense to me as having a PHD really doesn't mean they can get a better reading. If the psychic is telling you that you should never do a reading on yourself, they are lying. I do readings on myself all the time and get good and bad readings. If you trust in the cards, they will show you what you need to know. As for the death card, it does Not necessarily mean bad things. Both can mean a number of different things. Drawing the death card can mean an end to a matter, physical passing, major transformation, rebirth, and profound change. Devil means anger, violence, sometimes death by violence, and pessimism, evil thoughts or magick. If your questioning their meanings and are worried, you can easily find many more meanings online for each of them. The death card is feared alot simply because of the word 'death'. I would do further readings at different times, and maybe wording them differently. Simply asking what happened in your last life might work, though it doesn't mean you will get the answer you're looking for. Another person might get a different reading for you, but all in all, will possibly, and basically come up with the same meaning as you did, but you can not change what has already happened in your past life. The reading may be differnt every time. If you do a reading on a past life and you are uncomfortable with it, you should jump to another subject and take a break from that one, clear your head a bit and try it at another time. Do not be afraid when you do a reading, you should be relaxed and clear your mind to get the best reading. Doing one after another on the same question will cloud the cards, and will also give you meanings that contradict themselves since it feels like you are 'tricking' the cards into giving you the answer you want. As far as calling upon the white light of Jesus to protect you at the beginning of readings, that is totally up to you however, I'm not quite sure what you're needing protection from. There isn't anything supernatural guiding your hand to shuffle and lay the cards. You are shuffling and laying the cards for a read, therefore you do not need protection from yourself. The answer comes from within you through the cards.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge"
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe"   Einstein

cedars
Tarot reader

Post by cedars » Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:52 pm

Hello Gem
So good to see you on the boards again....... Been missing you!
Hope all is well with you.

:-)

dafphodil

woah!

Post by dafphodil » Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:32 pm

sorry everyone! i guess i must've overlooked the notice in my inbox that i was getting replies because i never knew about your answers!
My desire for knowledge is intermittent;to commune with the spirit of the universe,intoxicated with the fumes of divine nectar,to bear my head through atmospheres and over heights unknown to my feet,is perennial and constant.

dafphodil

Post by dafphodil » Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:37 pm

kybunker wrote:That's interesting!
I've never done a past life reading with the cards.
Could you explain how you did it?
Is there reading materials on how to do that using the cards?
Thanks for your post
heres the link to the different layouts i tried out: http://www.tarotmoon.com/articles/Past_ ... fe_ii.html

however it didnt give any advice on how to interpret the cards for past life readings specifically. it was my first and only time i've attempted it, so i really didnt know what i was doing. i was just attemptng something new! i might try it again soon now that i've gotten a little more used to my cards

dafphodil

Post by dafphodil » Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:37 pm

if any of you try it, let me know how it goes!

dafphodil

Post by dafphodil » Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:41 pm

Gem wrote:Hi,

Please don't be scared, there's nothing wrong with pulling Death and the Devil, reversed or not, but what is wrong imho is the 'Psychic ' saying those things. I have done plenty of past life readings with and without tarot or other decks and although I do agree that being regressed or doing a past life reading the first time on your own isn't recommended (especially for one so young) with the right information and guidance there should be no problem.

If you want us to take a look at your spread we need more details please, the deck used, the places and all the cards :)

well i never recorded my results. and reading this over and all of your guys' advice has kind of sparked my curiosity again. so i'll do one later today and post it on here. maybe you can all help me translate!

bellevalentine

Post by bellevalentine » Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:28 am

I have had a few past lives readings but not from cards, seems way out to me. I was supposedly a finland water girl but before that an Atlantean...hmmm a high priestess teacher in Atlanis..this i find hard to swallow =)

Return to “Tarot”