Favorite Deck

For Tarot discussions and general questions.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123, TarotModerator

iriseyes

Favorite Deck

Post by iriseyes » Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:16 pm

What is your favorite deck?  What makes it your favorite?

BB
Iriseyes
Blessed be,
Iriseyes
To thine own self be true!!

cedars
Tarot reader

Post by cedars » Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:11 pm

There has been and there is a live thread running on this topic somewhere here...
Perhaps you could take it up in that one??
Sorry, am not a moderator here, but I am sure there is a thread running on this topic.

Mine so far is the Rider Waite because it is with this that I learnt the tarot and still learning...

bellevalentine

Post by bellevalentine » Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:32 pm

I didnt see that post but saw this one, Im looking forward to getting the gilded tarot and possibly the crystal tarot also.

George

Post by George » Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:50 pm

cedars wrote:There has been and there is a live thread running on this topic somewhere here...
Perhaps you could take it up in that one??
Sorry, am not a moderator here, but I am sure there is a thread running on this topic.

Mine so far is the Rider Waite because it is with this that I learnt the tarot and still learning...
Hi Cedars   :smt006

To answer the question posted. I lvoe the Orginal  Rider Waite Tarot cards because they look of the oldest design of the RW decks that i could find at the time when i bought them.  also they look just like the deck my mother own when i was a child and i wanted to get the same deck.  actually i wanted to find her deck but never did. i think someone stole them because at one point i knew where they were and then they were gone.   :smt012
Common sense dictates there is no such thing as common sense.

singerofpeace

Post by singerofpeace » Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:29 am

I learned with Rider-Waite and still love them, I have the Gilded deck and I like it (and I have a small deck with mostly just pip cards that I don't use much) but I'm mostly occupied with the DruidCraft deck which is beauuuutiful :)

JewelOfTheSouth

Post by JewelOfTheSouth » Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:18 am

I love the now OOP Londa Tarot. I have a copy and I love the fact that the beautiful characters are very androgynous. The settings are like a theater and the imagery is beautiful. This deck is not for everyone. When she speaks it's very strongly. I actually learned to read using regular playing cards and then started tarot many years ago with tarot of the spirit. I have several decks as I collect them, or they collect me, I'm not sure which. My newest ones are the fantastical tarot and the vampire tarot. I've been using the witches tarot for a number of years as well. It is beautiful, to the point and very accurate for me. Ellen Cannon-Reed created that deck. I was in a circle of friends who knew her. Also, I am in the process of creating my own deck. I have begun on the set and have some of the major arcana finished. It takes a while to complete each piece of art for the deck. I love this question and thank you for allowing me to share.

Gentle Hugs,

Julie
The Universe Always Keeps Her balance. Lady Karma always shines through the darkness....

pirbid

Post by pirbid » Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:51 pm

I am rescuing this thread -if there was an older version, I have not found it- because I have just fallen in love  :smt050

I just visited Ciro Marchetti's site and I found his last Tarot project, Legacy of the Divine, is finished and nearly ALL its cards are available for browsing. I find that surprising, because he only shows a few of the Guilded and Dream Tarots. That means maybe he will only show them for a short period as a launching aid: the special edition is coming out now and the regular will be edited by Llewellyn at the end of 2009. So, anyone interested in viewing this magnificent digital artwork while still available, should visit ciromarchetti.com.

The Guilded was his first and, since there is a regular edition, I made sure I got a copy. Its richness of color and detail make it stand out among the usual RW based versions, but it hardly strays from the RW tradition, so it is very easy to read for those of us who learned with it.

Then, in 2005, he published The Tarot of Dreams himself. This is a special edition with a CD -now DVD- instead of a booklet and I believe the cards are a little bigger than average. The artwork is beautiful, a little more personal than the Guilded, but I did not find it different enough, so I think I will skip this version altogether.

Now, Legacy of the Divine is an altogether different matter: the images are much more lifelike, the detail is incredible -some people will prefer the bigger version now being released so that they can appreciate it better- and the images are the most beautiful and original by far, while still being easy to interpret from a RW point of view. Not only can you see most of the cards in his site, but there is also a link to a short video that is quite worth watching -mostly about the background story for the deck: enthralling digital images and music-.

So, try it and tell me whether you share my opinion. I still cannot take those images off my mind  :smt007
Sunshine from the islands of eternal spring ;)

cedars
Tarot reader

He is in love...... oh , yes, he is!

Post by cedars » Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:00 pm

Oh he is in love...........again..... :smt007

I did have a look and yes I agree the colours and the imagery are vivid and more of our era rather than horses and shields era of the Rider Waite, but some of the cards - to me - did not convey the insight and the meaning that the RW does so universally. It is very much in his unique style (Marchetti's that is) and follows the same or similar inspiration of the Gilded tarot. I was once tempted to buy the Gilded Tarot, but held back.

I share your excitement about this new deck Pirbid, but I, personally, am not ready to deviate from the Rider Waite. As I mentioned before, I have recently bought the Universal Waite and to me this conveys more details in the imageryand vivid colours and would not hesitate to recommend to the beginner/learner.

So, is this new deck for sale yet? Have you placed your order lover?

pirbid

Post by pirbid » Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:10 pm

:smt003 I am glad you were curious enough to browse through its cards.

They will not release the regular sized deck till the end of 2009, so I will ask my boyfriend to give it to me for a birthday present next year  :smt007

I agree with you that RW is by far the best deck for beginners, and I still read with it mostly. But, oh, what a joy to have those gorgeous images before me while doing readings! I believe my reading rate would increase just to see them more often  :smt003

By the way, I just realized that some of the RW cards have got very little meaning input from board readers, while others have several pages of views on their meanings. I guess there are some cards we dare not describe... for being less familiar with them? Anyway, I just decided I will give my descriptions on those with fewer posts, see if we can round them up a little. And I will do it in the best MB style: no books, no fixed meanings, just what first comes to mind when looking at each RW pic.  :smt002
Sunshine from the islands of eternal spring ;)

cedars
Tarot reader

Post by cedars » Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:13 pm

Go for it lover!

suzisco

Post by suzisco » Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:04 pm

WTG seems like an excellent idea Pirbid!

Maybe i should ask my hubby to buy me a new set of tarot cards for my christmas?
Enjoy when you can and endure when you must.
Everydays Predictions - Symbols - Picture Reading - Spirituality    Please support Mystic Board Donate Here

Rev_Vesta

My Fav..Tarot

Post by Rev_Vesta » Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:38 am

yes i started with Rider Waite The standard deck,   even tried a version of The Celtic tarot..........and have now ended up with The Native American tarot....by magda Weck Gonzales............( Star-Spider Woman)    and work with it with Sacred Path cards...........I love them... the images speak volumes as a story when doing a medicine Wheel Reading................

Work with Osho Zen tarot also sometimes (depends on the clients)............

There are so many different Tarot decks...and when someone comes in looking for a Tarot deck for the first time.....  bring out a selection of decks first, i feel will interest the client, then i bring out Rider Waite, The Standard, the Universal and The Radiant.....I find the Client usually gets drawn to one the first ones i brought out, even though I usually stay Rider Waite is one beginners usually start with... they don;t like the images the same as one of the other decks i have pulled out.......
The Spiral Tarot
The Quest tarot
The Gilded tarot
the Osho Zen tarot
The Witches tarot

personal journey...........when choosing a deck..... I get the client to do a personal reading with the deck and see what comes through..... which deck speaks volumes without referring to a book....first impressions.........3 card spread......... when a deck speaks..the client even if never worked with Tarot will read the cards straight away.....if even seems unsure.......they still understand the reading..........if drawn to a deck  personally......(my personal experience)..........
Love and Light,
Namaste
Rev_Vesta........

cedars
Tarot reader

Post by cedars » Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:41 am

Very interesting inputs RevVesta.

I went to a shop when I was in Montreal this summer to look at stuff and choose another deck. I had no success in selecting a new deck and the shop assistant pushed the idea of Osho Zen tarot to me, and, like you, gave me a reading in order to 'convicne' me that I should go for that type of tarot. Of course I did not make a decision and came home and read a little bit about Osho Zen....... although quite abstract and there is less imagery than the conventional tarot cards, I decided it was not YET for me. I always like to use the word 'yet' because I believe things change and we change with things.

I still prefer the 'mysetry' of the Rider Waite. I can't connect with 'modern' images on a deck- dont ask me why.

Although I have to admit whole- heartedly that some of the imagery of these decks that you mention are wonderfully imaginative and colourful. I guess my time will come and I will be drawn to another deck one day :)

Bless.

zooey

Post by zooey » Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:57 pm

My favourite deck is the *mythic tarot* - which probably chose me, more than I chose it.

I also have the Vertigo Tarot, purely for the amazing artwork by Dave McKean (he's amazing).

Rev_Vesta

Post by Rev_Vesta » Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:33 am

Yes so important you feel drawn to a deck you decide to work with........
Love and Light,
Namaste
Rev_Vesta........

Return to “Tarot”