How long until you stopped relying on book definitions and started reading intuitively

For Tarot discussions and general questions.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123, TarotModerator

kristabella

How long until you stopped relying on book definitions and started reading intuitively

Post by kristabella » Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:52 am

I have been reading tarot cards for a year and a half. I use to be a "strictly by the book" type of reader. However, things have changed. These days, I try to use a balanced combination of both. Now, the more I read, the more I am able to use my intuition. But I still like to keep up with the book meanings and buy new tarot books...how long was it until you relied predominately on intuition and totally discarded book meanings? i am not sure if i will ever discard the traditional meanings ( i believe there should be structure) but I am interested to hear from other readers....

chrisdee

Post by chrisdee » Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:25 am

Hi kristabella, I stopped using book meanings when I found out about intuitive reading, Ive taken a couple of intuitive tarot courses the first one I did was Gems, after the next course I took the cards started talking to me, I was doing a reading one day and was absolutely baffled by a card, the meaning  just didn't make any sense, as I stared at the picture it started to move and talk.

George

Re: How long until you stopped relying on book definitions and started reading intuitively

Post by George » Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:32 am

kristabella wrote:I have been reading tarot cards for a year and a half. I use to be a "strictly by the book" type of reader. However, things have changed. These days, I try to use a balanced combination of both. Now, the more I read, the more I am able to use my intuition. But I still like to keep up with the book meanings and buy new tarot books...how long was it until you relied predominately on intuition and totally discarded book meanings? i am not sure if i will ever discard the traditional meanings ( i believe there should be structure) but I am interested to hear from other readers....
i stop using my book the day i found Gem's class.  that was the day i truly started to read the Tarot.  i keep my book and read from it once and awhile and will keep it but wont rely on it to read for anyone.  
overall, though i tend to think that if you have a good book and you know the meanings you can still give a good reading because your subconscience mind knows the cards and the cards know you therefore you still can read acutely.
i have some book meanings in my head and when i read intuitively those meanings still jump at me at times.  
:smt006
Common sense dictates there is no such thing as common sense.

bellevalentine

Post by bellevalentine » Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:59 am

I have never used the book and have always done intuitive, but am learning the symbolism with a class im taking. I think with intuitive the main thing is to know its ok to be wrong.

suzisco

Post by suzisco » Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:39 am

I bought several books, i read them from cover to cover and then thought how am i going to remember all of this?

when i started practising i realised i didn't need the books as i had an intuitive understanding of the cards and that i use the cards as a focus to channel the messages i have to give to my reader.
Enjoy when you can and endure when you must.
Everydays Predictions - Symbols - Picture Reading - Spirituality    Please support Mystic Board Donate Here

deelitefullyme

Post by deelitefullyme » Sat Sep 27, 2008 4:36 am

chrisdee wrote:Hi kristabella, I stopped using book meanings when I found out about intuitive reading, Ive taken a couple of intuitive tarot courses the first one I did was Gems, after the next course I took the cards started talking to me, I was doing a reading one day and was absolutely baffled by a card, the meaning  just didn't make any sense, as I stared at the picture it started to move and talk.
I'm new to all this.  What is Gems course?  Is it on this board or taught in a class setting?

I would like to now learn how to read intutively.

Thanks.

dheaven

Post by dheaven » Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:14 am

cedars
Tarot reader

Post by cedars » Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:31 am

Although Gem's course is still on record on this site, but Gem does not seem to be around. Mystic Board has not made an announcement on her whereabouts and if the course is still on course or abandoned?

As to following the book meanings or not, we all start with the book meanings; I did. But after a while the stories change, i.e. the book meanings chagne according to the question and/or position of the card(s). They dont change drastically mind you, but you start 'seeing' your own interpreation, which we call intuition, gut feeling and a different aspect of viewing a given card. For example, the Knight of Sword is not a favourite court card of mine, but the other day I got that card in a differnt context and it was not that negative per the spread and the message it had to say to the querent.

I came across a book called the Tarot Bible and I liked the way it was interpreting each card, but I was tempted to buy it. My first ever on-line free course (not interactive though) was Joan Bunning's, and then I did Gem's on this site and I believe it is a never ending process to learn and develop along with your cards.

suzisco

Post by suzisco » Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:56 pm

All the bare bones of the course are still there and have not been removed.

Gem left the forum and is no longer a member.  I have stepped into her shoes on a temporary basis as i have a broad knowledge of these topics.

I am more than happy for people to continue using Gem course as its very good and am happy to supervise and help people with any difficulties they have.

Kind Regards

Suzi
Enjoy when you can and endure when you must.
Everydays Predictions - Symbols - Picture Reading - Spirituality    Please support Mystic Board Donate Here

cedars
Tarot reader

Post by cedars » Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:42 pm

Thank you Suzi.

TheAlchemist

Post by TheAlchemist » Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:56 pm

Has anyone ever heard of or used soul cards by Deborah Koff-Chapin?

I have a set and I absolutely love them....They are read only with your own intuitive thought...there is no interpretation manual....each card has a different picture/painting on it .... the messages you can receive from them are so profound and the insights come directly from your own heart and soul...simply beautiful!

Love and blessings to you all!
Peace

Return to “Tarot”