should you ask the tarot the same question?

For Tarot discussions and general questions.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123, TarotModerator

littleone22

should you ask the tarot the same question?

Post by littleone22 » Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:11 pm

I was just thinking what happens when we ask the tarot the same question over and over? Say we are really worried about something and we keep consulting the tarot everyday what effect does this have on the cards you pull? if any? Do they come out more negative? Is it a really naughty thing to do?

love littleone22 :smt006

RoseCross

Same Question

Post by RoseCross » Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:13 pm

IMHO If you are just starting out and learning to read cards, then asking the same question and interpreting the answers and how they might apply seems fine.  But as you become more skilled, and realize that accessing the subconscious through the cards is not something to be trifled with, then asking a question once, getting an answer, and then using subsequent cards for clarification is a more appropriate approach.

Sarielle

Post by Sarielle » Sat Aug 25, 2007 2:55 pm

I'll second RoseCross here.

In addition, I think your mindset matters a lot when asking repeated questions - well, I guess it always matters, but especially so when doing something dubious, like asking repeated questions or doing something to "test" the deck.

If you're repeating the question because you didn't like the answer, didn't believe it, or want to put the deck to test, the answers will probably become more unclear and/or negative.

I've seen this happen a few times, and when it does, it feels as if the deck has a will of its own and is deliberately f***ing with you - and taking great delight in doing so. For example, my husband once kept a deck of normal playing cards next to him, and dared ask a Tarot deck whether the next card he'd pull would be big or small. The Tarot deck's answer was, "Fortune!" :smt003 To top it off, the card he pulled was 7, so it was nether big nor small. :smt005

However, if you're repeating the question simply because you're confused about the matter or you're new to Tarot and aren't sure if you interpreted the card(s) right, I don't think it'll have any negative effects. In that case, I suppose the following cards actually might help you clear up the matter.

In any case, I wouldn't recommend asking the same question over and over. If you need clarification on some issue and aren't sure about the card(s) you've pulled, try asking the deck for clarification or ask some follow-up questions that would bring some new insight on the matter. (Sometimes, when I'm really confused, I simply ask my deck, "Why did you give me this card?") If you're asking about a situation that really worries you and actually does change each day, I don't think it's wrong to consult the deck everyday, asking something like, "how are things developing today" or something similar.

drmeals

best spread to use for beginners?

Post by drmeals » Sun Aug 26, 2007 4:18 pm

New to the art of tarot. What is the best spread to use for beginners?

tlkandler

Post by tlkandler » Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:21 am

I know its been awhile since the original post, but I'd like to add my 2 cents worth on this subject...

The way I see it, there is a cause and effect theory (I believe I've said that properly).  I'd probably a wait a few days between readings, however, I believe that what happens between one reading and next will effect the outcome.

I'm self-taught for the most part, but that is how I see it.

BB

anas

Re: best spread to use for beginners?

Post by anas » Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:48 pm

drmeals wrote:New to the art of tarot. What is the best spread to use for beginners?
The best spreads for beginners would absolutely be "The horseshoe Spread", it's a very easy and simple one. I have always used it for guidance and it works well for me.

For more info, type these keywords in google or any other search engine: horseshoe spread

it's even, in my opinion, better than the celtic cross spread, for beginners of course.

Payewacker

Post by Payewacker » Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:32 am

Hi,

I have a number of different spreads to use. I stuck to Celtic cross from the start and rarely use other. You would now probably ask why: Well the CC is based on using 10 cards, to me this represents the path of life regarding the Minor arcanum.

I was pretty much forced to use the CC. When I started studying Tarot, we didn't have internet. I therefore had a book for beginners, and Robin Wood deck with it's LWB, I stayed away from the 15 card spread by Robin Wood. I will most probably stick to CC for the rest of my Tarot career.

Blessed be.
Do as you want, Harm none!

Gem

Post by Gem » Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:27 am

Payewacker that is a very sweeping statement, and very limiting too. My personal feeling is that the Celtic Cross is overused and rarely the ideal spread for most questions. Far better to tailor make a spread or use one of the thousand others surely?

Payewacker

Post by Payewacker » Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:33 pm

Hi Gem,
You're most probably right in saying CC is limiting. I've moved ito a comfort zone and lazy to stretch my "rubber", or maybe sometimes feel a bit indoctrinated by change!

Blessed be
Do as you want, Harm none!

tabi

Post by tabi » Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:46 pm

Original Quesiton:

No you shouldn't keep asking the same question repeatedly, nor in different forms. You begin to lost sight of what is that you want but it also generally means that you want to keep asking until the tarot gives you the answer that you want and NOT the one that you need.

Best Beginner Spread:

I find that the Celtic Cross is too labor intense for beginners and quite intimidating for the most part. Any three, four, five cards would be fine. There are tons of them out there on the net but also spread books are great. Don't over look the obvious either...MAKE ONE! You know yourself and the questions you want answered the best, make use of it. Keep the questions simple and board to start with if you're just learning. If you have been doing it a while make them more detailed with more cards.

xaxaa

Post by xaxaa » Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:09 am

If you keep asking the same question you'll get really confused!!
Better to be careful...and you have to trust them so that they trust you! If you keep asking it means that you don't trust them...or you don't really understand what the say...

purple_dust

Post by purple_dust » Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:44 pm

well I guess that when you are given an answer you don't like you subsequently try it many more times... like I did (I felt kind of a cheater).  However I sense that in your reading you're so concerned that perhaps you don't have the clarity of mind that allows you to approach a matter "coldly" and are split between the reading you don't understand or don't want to understand and the outcome you want to see.... It's all in the subconscius and I recommend for you to take things slowly.
---------------------------------------------------
Everyday is like Sunday... well except for Blue Monday, Ruby Tuesday and Friday I'm in love

Return to “Tarot”