5 Modes of Focus Spread

For Tarot discussions and general questions.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123, TarotModerator

gayla

5 Modes of Focus Spread

Post by gayla » Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:09 pm

This spread is inspired by Mary K. Greer’s book, 21 Ways to Read a Tarot Card.

In Greer’s book, she talks about the Four Modes of Tarot and how the deck has its own task in describing a situation in a reading. Greer writes, “…Understanding these tasks helps the reader understand how to interpret the card. While no mode is more important than another; each emphasizes different kinds of experiences….”

As a spread, this concept focuses on the five (rather than four) modes of the matter in regards to the Who, What, Where, Why and When? I added the ‘When?’ to bring the concept of time into the reading, which I think brings it full circle.

This spread can be used as a general reading, but usually the ‘Who?’ will create the focus for the reading.

I found this spread to be helpful regarding my relationship with my eight year old son. The spread revealed him to me as the Page of Swords, and followed with the Three of Swords, Ace of Swords, Magician and Temperance. The cards spoke to me about turning my worries over him (Three of Swords) into energy that will develop his intellect (Ace of Swords), and over time (Temperance) help him become a well rounded person (Magician). A much needed message since he has really been trying my patience lately, as most eight year old do. :)

Step 1: Divide the deck into Courts, Pips, Aces, and Major Arcana and shuffle each stack.

Step 3: Draw a card from the Courts.

This is position 1, Who?

Step 4: Draw a card from the Pips.

This is position 2, What?

Step 5: Draw a card from the Aces.

This is position 3, Where?

Step 6: Draw a Card from the Major Arcana.

This is position 4, Why?

Step 7: Shuffle the stack of remaining cards.

This is position 5, When?

Step 8: Advice
Attachments
modes spread.jpg
Spread diagram
modes spread.jpg (14.11 KiB) Viewed 2078 times
Gayla
Ambriel Tarot
www.freewebs.com/ambrieltarot

moonlitestonight

Gayla's 5 modes of focus spread

Post by moonlitestonight » Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:50 am

Gayla:  Just joined and going through the postings.  This spread looks very interesting and l like how the pips, courts, etc. are all separate and one is chosen to answer the question.  Good idea.  I have been reading cards for about 6 1/2 years so still feel like a novice!!!  I will be trying this out as well as some of the others you posted.  Thanks!!    MLT

Psydes212

Post by Psydes212 » Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:48 pm

Interesting spread. Im going to write it down in my tarot book and try it out later tonight.
:-)

Return to “Tarot”