How do you choose which spread to use?

For Tarot discussions and general questions.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123, TarotModerator

Which spread do you use the most?

Celtic Cross
27%
Three cards - past, present, future
15%
Three cards - suited to the question
15%
One card as guidance
No votes
I choose the spread to suit the question so it varies all the time
42%

Total votes: 26

mysticcrystal

Post by mysticcrystal » Mon May 21, 2007 3:21 pm

Fallenangel, I like the way you read cards. That is pretty much how I read the cards. I think it makes for very accurate readings, don't you?

alka pareek

Post by alka pareek » Tue May 22, 2007 4:44 pm

i also use the one card reading method i m just learning and understanding my cards so any information i get will be very useful thanks for ur help

nashota

Post by nashota » Sun Jun 17, 2007 5:38 am

Can you please explain a three card spread ?

chrisdee

Post by chrisdee » Sat Jun 23, 2007 7:18 pm

nashota wrote:Can you please explain a three card spread ?
Hi A three card spread can be adapted to anything the obvious Past Present Future
How am I                                                                       1. mind-2. body-3. spirit
The three card spread works with a covering question then names put to the position of the 1.2.3. the possibilities are limitless The only rule to this is to know your question and names of your positions 1.2.3. before you start

daisythorn

Post by daisythorn » Sun Jun 24, 2007 4:26 am

I think the spread should fit the question.  Of course, some spreads are geared to work for ANY question, but I, myself, prefer the variety that different spreads can offer.  I love to try out new spreads and create my own.  I also find, that those I create myself, have the most meaning to me, and work best for my readings.

sternrulez

Post by sternrulez » Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:27 pm

I've found that, like many, the celtic cross is my favorite.  However, it all depends on the person that I'm reading for.  Some people just want a "quickie", like the kind I do at lunch breaks at work, when other people insist on telling me half their life story and want an "epic reading", even though I insist time and time again that I don't need or WANT to know that much information!  In those cases I politely say that if they want an accurate reading, they're welcome to ramble to their heart's content afterwards, but I don't want to influence the reading by knowing too much beforehand...when they HAVE told me too much and it happens to come up in a reading, they look at me as if to say, "HUH, some reader YOU are...I already TOLD you that!" :(

ANYWAY, back to the spread..I have never tried a single or even three-card reading.  I like to see the relationship of one card to the rest, and having that little to go on just doesn't seem right somehow...the least I'll do is 5 :)

pamDemonium

Post by pamDemonium » Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:24 pm

i'm just  at the learning stage so have to refer to my book for any detail. I do  celtic cross with my close friends.....just for practice but tend to just choose three cards for a specific issue in my own life

Gem

Post by Gem » Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:35 pm

pamDemonium wrote:i'm just  at the learning stage so have to refer to my book for any detail. I do  celtic cross with my close friends.....just for practice but tend to just choose three cards for a specific issue in my own life
Why not join our free tarot course and learn to read intuitively, without a book?

cedars
Tarot reader

Three sets of three

Post by cedars » Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:43 am

hi George

Can you please explain your three sets of three spread? If the first three were Past, Present and Future...... how do you interpret the forthcoming sets? Or, dont you bring past, present, future into it?
I have found the Celtic Cross quite daunting and some positions which I dont really need to know or somewhat irrelevant, e.g. what others think about me for example.

Anyhow, when I do a three spread, sometimes I feel like I need to add a fourth and a fifth and a sixth.

Appreciate hearing your experience re sets of three.

cedars

George

Re: Three sets of three

Post by George » Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:08 pm

cedars wrote:hi George

Can you please explain your three sets of three spread? If the first three were Past, Present and Future...... how do you interpret the forthcoming sets? Or, dont you bring past, present, future into it?
I have found the Celtic Cross quite daunting and some positions which I dont really need to know or somewhat irrelevant, e.g. what others think about me for example.

Anyhow, when I do a three spread, sometimes I feel like I need to add a fourth and a fifth and a sixth.

Appreciate hearing your experience re sets of three.

cedars

Frist you lay a card Past, Present and Future.  then start over and lay the Past, Present and Future again.  then lay Past, Present, and Future to make the nine card spread.    The Past now has three cards therefore adding more infomation to the past for a more richer reading.  Of course the present and future are read the same way.  Now this is the only twist when i read like this is that i take the last of the Past Card in that row and connect it to the 1st card of the Present.  The last card in Present row connects to the Future 1st card.   you can add as many cards as you like to the Past, Present and Future.

now, keep in mind for any spread that you do you have to know what all the positions are before you start.  so, if you want to take the simple three card spread and add cards just know in advance what all the positions mean.  if you do not want to connect the last card and 1st cards like i do then that would be fine then you can just read the cards as Past, Present and Future; every card for its own role.  

ttyl :smt006

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\[---

bwitched

My spreads vary

Post by bwitched » Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:33 am

I do not use any one particular spread.  It depends on the energies around me and the person I am reading for.

I really like the year forecast spread.  I saw family rivalry in my reading I did prior to my Grandmother's death.  I told my mother and her boyfriend when it would begin and why.  Unfortunately, it was true.

seadrenea

Regular and odd spreads

Post by seadrenea » Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:19 pm

I have a spread of 15 cards I do for weekly readings. I'm still figuring  out the time frame around each reading as they "overlap" in meaning from week to week.
I do a 5 card daily or when I can get a moment to myself.
I do a 19 card spread for friends and family.

I don't often use the celtic cross. It allows for 1 card per position which is too limiting for me. I do each position with 3 cards in all my spreads, the 19 card spread has a "Hope" card at the top.

cedars
Tarot reader

Post by cedars » Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:37 pm

Hi bwitched
How about the yearly reading/forecast. Care to tell us about it and its spread format?
thanks

Return to “Tarot”