Upside down cards

For Tarot discussions and general questions.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123, TarotModerator

ezza

Upside down cards

Post by ezza » Fri May 13, 2011 12:52 pm

Good morning all!
I have been learning about Tarot cards and reading various books and there seems to be a division in the way to interpret the upside down cards... some give it a special meaning and others dont.. I tend to agree with not reading too much into a card that is upside down but I just want to know, in practice, how many of you change the meaning of the card when it's not upright??
Thanks & Happy Friday!! :o)
E.

cedars
Tarot reader

Post by cedars » Fri May 13, 2011 2:11 pm

This is a topic that will always come up.

First of all, in a roundabout way, you need to decide if you want to do Reversed cards (Upside, as you call it). I dont intentionally shuffle my cards to 'create' reversals. By that I mean you will see people who shuffle their cards in such a way in order to inentionally create reversals in the way they cut the deck and place one of the groups upside down - reversed - hence 'creating' reversed cards.
I dont agree with that. Reversals and their meaning will happen sometimes whether we do it intentionally or not.

As to the different meanings of a reversed card, I would say a reversed card will have a lower energy of the Upright one. Instead of saying a negative energy, I would say a lower energy, but I would not interpret it the same as the upright position. For example, Two of Cups means reunion, or a union of two people; the reversed one may be end of a friendship or not meeting of minds; parting of ways; disagreement on an issue...... and so on.

For me, whilst not intentionally creating reversed cards, I give a lot more credence and importance to a card that came out reversed in a reading despite my efforts not to cause reversals.

I would suggest that for the the time being you forget reversals and shuffle your deck all cards in the upright position. When you are ready, you can start dealing with the reversals.

If you intend to do reversals, then start looking at them as a lower and a lesser energy than the upright ones.

Hope this helps.

George

Re: Upside down cards

Post by George » Fri May 13, 2011 10:46 pm

ezza wrote:Good morning all!
I have been learning about Tarot cards and reading various books and there seems to be a division in the way to interpret the upside down cards... some give it a special meaning and others dont.. I tend to agree with not reading too much into a card that is upside down but I just want to know, in practice, how many of you change the meaning of the card when it's not upright??
Thanks & Happy Friday!! :o)
E.
i don't tend to do reading of reversed cards and don't feel the need to do them any time soon.  the ideal behind is that even if a reversed card has a different meaning then it being place up right there will be a card that will have that meaning no matter which way it is facing that you need to do the reading.

lets use Cedars II of Cups, if you stick to the meaning that it is a couple coming together etc then reversals will work because you could just say the opposite of that meaning.  I tend to work with: it means what my intuition tells me at that very moment reversed or not in that reading.
not that Cedars is wrong or anything like that do what works for you always and you readings will be good ones.

:smt006
Common sense dictates there is no such thing as common sense.

cedars
Tarot reader

Re: Upside down cards

Post by cedars » Sat May 14, 2011 9:32 am

I agree with you, George, to be guided with one's own intuition.

Once I was doing a reading for a friend and the Two of Cups came out reversed. As I dont do reversals, I took this seriously and also, at the same time, I was careful to approach ther querent about its meaning. In fact, I had reason to postpone conveying the outcome of the reading to the querent, only to hear that the querent's friend had to leave the country for legal reasons and that their friendship was not to continue at the same pace or energy at it used to.

Whether the undertones of that 'friendship' had any romantic bearing or not was irrelevant. The reversed meaning of the Two of Cups did indicate what was actually happening their life. Of course, the Three of Swords would have been something totally different.
Last edited by cedars on Mon May 16, 2011 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ezza

Post by ezza » Mon May 16, 2011 1:17 pm

I am doing the same thing, keeping the cards in a certain order to avoid reverse cards.. that way if it happens, I will know it has a special meaning... Thank you for your advice! much appreciated! ;o)
E.

cedars
Tarot reader

Post by cedars » Mon May 16, 2011 1:21 pm

You are very welcome Ezza :)

Return to “Tarot”