Playing card divination

For Tarot discussions and general questions.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123, TarotModerator

ombra

Playing card divination

Post by ombra » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:34 pm

Hi everyone, I am new to this site and was wondering if anyone on here uses regular playing cards to read the tarot. I have always uses them personally and find them to be more straight forward. Anyways just want some tips if anyone has advice on using this deck as I am still somewhat of a novice. I would like to begin offering readings but am still kind of unsure of my abilities. Is there any way to "test" me out or something? Lol. [/u]

TarotModerator

Post by TarotModerator » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:44 am

Hi Ombra,

Playing card Magic, and use as a divinatory system is done extensively, but not as much as the Tarot deck. As a tool for divination, you should not discount it at all, it may be as informative and able to give the same guidance to a seeker, as Tarot.

The numbered cards and the four Court Cards in Tarot, describe certain events and situations and may pertain or refer to people as well. The most significant difference, is the Major Arcanum and the Knights, which has been added to the ordinary deck of Cards.

We also see a shift in the imagery on the cards themselves. The images on the cards give the reader an idea of what the card describes. We also find links within cards, referring to other cards. In using ordinary playing cards as a divinatory tool, it would be important for the reader to know exactly the meaning of each card. This may be derived from another source, as in books, or your own interpretation.

Being a beginner in divination, has no meaning at all. When entering this field, you need to keep in mind your intuition. This is how divination is done. The cards is only a tool to guide you and transfer information to the seeker.

We do not have a forum dedicated to Playing card magic, but I can't see it impossible for you to do readings on the Tarot forum.

In this regard first visit the seekers guidelines:
http://mysticboard.org/vi ... hp?t=68017

and readers guidelines:
http://mysticboard.org/vi ... hp?t=68018

When doing readings, please indicate the spread and cards you use. We will be hosting a Tarot course, if you wish, please attend the course.

:smt006
We run a self study course in Tarot...please sign up..work together with your fellow students...and if further help is needed...ask for help....

StormGirl Blue

Re: Playing card divination

Post by StormGirl Blue » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:59 am

ombra wrote:Hi everyone, I am new to this site and was wondering if anyone on here uses regular playing cards to read the tarot. I have always uses them personally and find them to be more straight forward. Anyways just want some tips if anyone has advice on using this deck as I am still somewhat of a novice. I would like to begin offering readings but am still kind of unsure of my abilities. Is there any way to "test" me out or something? Lol. [/u]
Hi Ombra..
this was in fact a very popular tool in its day, cartomancy, tho most readers turned to the imagery of the tarot.

I used to a little.. I still do 2 different yes or no spreads, divination by aces and divination by spades..
generally I do these for "just for fun" questions.. not having a great skill towards fortune telling myself..
To give an honest account of accuracy I have to say for me %75 ( yes and no Q's )accuracy..
Im sure others will probably get a better accuracy rate.. but as I said.. Ill only do that for very light hearted q's ... I do get a better accuracy on it when using it to confirm or not an intuitive insight that may rely some on yes or no..lol. but I avoid them readings.

I also read bones.... a little tarot, goddess oracle, angel oracle.. and a range of other cards Ive picked up on the way.. all depends on which directions I'm pulled or even if I pick up a confirmation tool at all.

I have heard of folks reading all sorts of weird and wonderful things.. from freckles to goodness knows what.. .lol
at the end of the day for me it is whatever floats your boat.. or more so whatever inspires your intuitions in the moment..

StormGirl Blue

Post by StormGirl Blue » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:10 am

p.s..
I have heard good things about this deck..

the idea being train on these and yu can pick up any deck..

and this Spanish variation..

this deck too :)
us.life.dada.net/cgi-bin/sn_media/image/print.cgi?id=88413&view=halfcol

Hot linking may be disabled on that site.. copy and paste the image url in your browser ( its an image only page )

you could also make your own for train on.. just put some key words and/or inspiring images related to the cards meaning.

TarotModerator

Post by TarotModerator » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:24 am

Hi,

We are hosting a new Tarot course for 2011, please join us.

Here are the links to sign up to the course.

To sign-up, follow this link:
http://mysticboard.org/vi ... hp?t=73951

To view the Index of Topics, follow this link:
http://mysticboard.org/vi ... hp?t=73952

Our first topic will appear shortly. Just mark those forums to alert you for postings.

:smt008
We run a self study course in Tarot...please sign up..work together with your fellow students...and if further help is needed...ask for help....

cedars
Tarot reader

Post by cedars » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:22 pm

An interesting thing these playing cards.
When I went to a tarot one-day workshop some years ago, two students had brought their playing cards and sat at the tarot workshop. I thought it was amazing that they had those cards as a tool for divination (I was unaware at the time) and yet they sat at the course and they got absorbed into the actual tarot cards as well.

Ombra, may be it will be a good idea if you followed MB's new tarot course soon to be launched here.

Oh, and I would love to see a reading done by your playing cards :)

ombra

Post by ombra » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:47 am

Wow, tons of great info. I am definitely going to look into the tarot course. Great Idea to just offer some light-hearted readings until I'm confident enough.

Cascade of Light

Post by Cascade of Light » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:14 pm

There's nothing more impressive than to take out a normal deck of cards and read from them, it can leaves folks looking on in awe. Its a bit like reading decks with pipped cards so once Tarot has been mastered it is quite simple to read playing cards :) Perhaps though it can leave more to the imagination and intuition as lookiing at a card with just 6 hearts or 3 spades means that the seeker may not have a clue as to the meaning lol :)

Ombra do you use a special playing card deck or just any one? With my Tarot I have several decks that no-one is allowed to use but with playing cards I just use what we are playing with and it makes a nice break from poker lol!
A cascade of light shone down on me, then the angels spoke, and set me free,
Cas x

ombra

Post by ombra » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:45 pm

lol I have always had just a regular 52 card deck, I find it easier to interpret the symbolism and find that it's more open to interpretation, leaving more room for your intuition to kick in. I have a deck that I meditate over and periodically cleanse and it is strictly for readings. The imagery on Tarot cards I think leaves too strong an impression for me, kind of like being too definite if that makes any sense. I find it really funny though (even alittle annoying) because every single time I draw out an answer spread for myself the answer is a Joker...basically a wild card with no straight answer. How is that for irony huh...lol

Return to “Tarot”