I just bought my first deck of Tarot cards

For Tarot discussions and general questions.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123, TarotModerator

mizgator

I just bought my first deck of Tarot cards

Post by mizgator » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:35 am

Is there any tips or advice you all can give about getting started? How long did it take you to feel comfortable enough to do a reading? Is there anything I need to be aware of that you may have learned along the way? Thanks in advance for any info you can give!

Payewacker

Post by Payewacker » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:00 am

Hi there,

When receiving your cards, it's good to clean them of any unwanted energies. I do it by smudging the cards with a refreshing incense. Then you can bring your own energy into the deck, by handling and studying each card. It is also important to, at this stage, not look at the booklet or book, but to look at the cards and find a message it portrays to you, make notes of these messages for later reference. You should in fact try to get to your own set of interpretations.

To learn Tarot and all it's influences is not done in one day or one course, but as you go along. If you follow the right teacher, you may know a little! On MB is a lot of information, but you would need to search for it!!

We need to round of a few matters and then we may run a Tarot course shortly, you are welcome to join. This course is at no cost and will be comprehensive.

When are you "READY" for doing readings, you can be ready tomorrow or in 100 years, that's entirely up to you. Let me put it this way, you are ready now. The Universe brought the Tarot to you, because you have or will develop to be a reader. My view on this, is that you should also have a good theoretical knowledge of your cards. But that doesn't stop you at all, it not all about learning, INTUITION plays a very important role as well.

You can read already, even if you only use the references from the book, it will be flat and not much meat, but don't discount the Tarot at all. The Tarot will teach you as well.

Let me chat with admin, and the sooner we start a course the better.

Blessed be.

mysticme

numerology

Post by mysticme » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:10 am

I have met some strange theories in numerology and they came out accurately.  however, all i can think is the more you chase it, the more lost it seems.  so i request you to give brief and straight explanation of how chinese numerology can be adopted in everyday life--like answering any question that turns up at the certain situation.    mysticme

cedars
Tarot reader

Re: numerology

Post by cedars » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:55 am

mysticme wrote:I have met some strange theories in numerology and they came out accurately.  however, all i can think is the more you chase it, the more lost it seems.  so i request you to give brief and straight explanation of how chinese numerology can be adopted in everyday life--like answering any question that turns up at the certain situation.    mysticme
Hello Mysticme..
Welcome to MB and to the Tarot forum. You have been given good advice by Payewacker about the tarot.
As for Numberology, there is another room/forum dedicated to this topic and you can ask all questions about Numberology in that forum.
Please stay with us and enjoy your visits to MB.

Congratulations on your new deck of cards. What deck is it?

mizgator

Post by mizgator » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:40 pm

Thank you Payewacker on the great advice. How would I go about smudging the cards with incense? I've never done smudging before. Do I use the ashes from the burned incense and wipe them on each card? I love the idea of getting my own interpretation of each card before I read what they mean. Thanks so much!

Cedars, I have "The Rider Tarot Deck" of cards.

cedars
Tarot reader

Post by cedars » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:42 pm

I use the same too. It is a good deck to start with :)

Payewacker

Post by Payewacker » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:22 pm

Hi,

Great for getting the Rider deck, then you will have no problem in seeing the symbolism on the cards. Perhaps there might be some color variation, I use the "old" Rider Waite-- Coleman Smith deck.

Don't brush the ashes on the cards, it will really "smudge" them dirty!! Incense has some oils in it as well. What you can do, is to get a feather, don't rush and buy one, not needed. Just go out in your garden or a park and find a feather that calls you, not the first the best! I have an ancient owl feather I keep in my Box. You need to light the incense and wait until it smokes nicely, then with the incense in one hand and the feather in the other, brush the smoke over the fanned deck, from the left upper side to the right bottom side. Your deck should be face up and the cards recognizable, I normally start with the Major Arcanum on the top, in numeric sequence then Cups, Swords, Pentacles and Wands. You can also use a clean black cloth as a "table covering". I also from time to time fan my deck on an outside table during the full Moon, try not to have artificial light shine on it and be careful for dew. You may also want to permeate it with the energy from the Sun, this I also do at times. Fan the cards open and leave them in the full sun for about 1 hour, preferable at sunrise. Don't do it for too long or the cards may bend from the heat. I just put them on a window sill before the Sun rises.

When you start doing the impressions of your cards, you need to decide if you are going to read "upright" only or "upright and reversed". In reading only upright you will have only 78 interpretations, reading both ways will double the number of interpretations. I read upright and reversed, this is also the way in which I defined my interpretations.
Follow this link to see an example:
https://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AZyu ... NWRz&hl=en

Blessed be.

George

Post by George » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:38 pm

mizgator wrote:Thank you Payewacker on the great advice. How would I go about smudging the cards with incense? I've never done smudging before. Do I use the ashes from the burned incense and wipe them on each card? I love the idea of getting my own interpretation of each card before I read what they mean. Thanks so much!

to smudge my cards i use white sage and just holds the cards over the smoke.  although Payewacker has some great stuff with the moon and sun. i will have to put some thoughts on that and start doing that myself.   :smt006
Common sense dictates there is no such thing as common sense.

TarotModerator

Post by TarotModerator » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:12 pm

Hi

The best deck to start with has to be RW. I exclusively use this deck and the spreads it recomends.

Payewacker has a lot of information on some spreads and the placements of the cards.

We are going to host an extensive course on how to get started reading Tarot. I'm sure you will enjoy this course, as it has great stuff not to be found in books you buy.

I hope to see you around.

:smt006

TarotModerator

Post by TarotModerator » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:20 am

Hi,

We are hosting a new Tarot course for 2011, please join us.

Here are the links to sign up to the course.

To sign-up, follow this link:
http://mysticboard.org/vi ... hp?t=73951

To view the Index of Topics, follow this link:
http://mysticboard.org/vi ... hp?t=73952

Our first topic will appear shortly. Just mark those forums to alert you for postings.

:smt008
We run a self study course in Tarot...please sign up..work together with your fellow students...and if further help is needed...ask for help....

Return to “Tarot”