Can you read Tarot cards if cards are missing from the deck?

For Tarot discussions and general questions.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123, TarotModerator

George

Can you read Tarot cards if cards are missing from the deck?

Post by George » Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:08 am

I just had that thought after reading another post so i thought i would throw it out there for the forum for thoughts on the matter.

i can help to think that you could do a reading with cards missing.  because, their are plenty of meanings to the cards to cover what is missing and if you use intuition the cards will find a way to get their meanings across to you.  

what i am thinking though is are the cards not a "whole" therefore can throw the reading off?

can what to hear what people think about this? :smt006
Common sense dictates there is no such thing as common sense.

cedars
Tarot reader

Post by cedars » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:57 am

I dont do reversals, George. Why? Because I believe the cards will still bring out the meaning or messages whether I cause reversed cards duirng my shuffling process or not.
The same way, I believe, if there were cards missing with or without your knowledge, then the meaning or what the querent needs to know will still be delivered by other cards.

It is all how we view and regard the tarot cards. Some people call it a chance thing; some call it spirit intervention..... What is your take?

I feel, if you are dealing the cards and do not know that there are cards missing, then the resultant reading will still be apt to the question asked. But once you find out that there is a card missing (or two) I feel you will not be confident to do readings.  

Despite what I have just said above, I would feel lost if I knew there were cards missing. A new deck could be the ultimate answer, but I would be EAGER to find the missing cards of my existing deck.

Cascade of Light

Post by Cascade of Light » Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:24 pm

I think with the other post it might be important to know which two cards were left behind? But that is a different scenario to permanently losing a card and 1) knowing about it or 2) not knowing?

If you are using a large spread then I think it can matter, and also if it were a Major card then I would take interest of which one it was and if it was relevant.

One theory might be that the cards will tell their message whatever.

Another might be that the reading will be skewed if the missing cards were needed.

When I reorganised my lounge for Christmas I found a card underneath the settee, the deck I have been very successfully reading with for the past year. The card was The Magician. Perhaps because this is a card whose meaning could be 'replaced' by others it did not matter? Perhaps none of the readings I gave needed the card?

I think that the crucial point may be whether we know or not?

If we find out that there are cards left in the box when we go to replace the deck after a reading, might we doubt that reading then? I think I would.

Interesting question :)
A cascade of light shone down on me, then the angels spoke, and set me free,
Cas x

cedars
Tarot reader

Post by cedars » Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:54 pm

Cascade of Light wrote: If we find out that there are cards left in the box when we go to replace the deck after a reading, might we doubt that reading then? I think I would.
I dont think so... If the querent has been satisfied with the reading and it has resonated with them... I say: a plane can still fly and land with an engine out....

Yes, interesting question, one that may strike different opinions.....

:)

George

Post by George » Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:05 pm

cedars wrote:I dont do reversals, George. Why? Because I believe the cards will still bring out the meaning or messages whether I cause reversed cards duirng my shuffling process or not.
The same way, I believe, if there were cards missing with or without your knowledge, then the meaning or what the querent needs to know will still be delivered by other cards.

It is all how we view and regard the tarot cards. Some people call it a chance thing; some call it spirit intervention..... What is your take?

I feel, if you are dealing the cards and do not know that there are cards missing, then the resultant reading will still be apt to the question asked. But once you find out that there is a card missing (or two) I feel you will not be confident to do readings.  

Despite what I have just said above, I would feel lost if I knew there were cards missing. A new deck could be the ultimate answer, but I would be EAGER to find the missing cards of my existing deck.
I tend to think it is all in the reader from where the meaning of the cards are coming from.  i use my intuition when reading cards. so maybe that is chance but i tend to think it is energies i am picking up on and reading that.  i don't believe the cards are being placed by some divine hand.

i did misplace a couple of cards and just i felt like a parent who lost their child in an airport. i found those cards but i felt panic and couldn't imagine what i was going to do if i didn't find them.  so i would think i couldn't read either without finding those cards and making the deck whole too.

George

Post by George » Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:16 pm

Cascade of Light wrote:I think with the other post it might be important to know which two cards were left behind? But that is a different scenario to permanently losing a card and 1) knowing about it or 2) not knowing?

If you are using a large spread then I think it can matter, and also if it were a Major card then I would take interest of which one it was and if it was relevant.

One theory might be that the cards will tell their message whatever.

Another might be that the reading will be skewed if the missing cards were needed.

When I reorganised my lounge for Christmas I found a card underneath the settee, the deck I have been very successfully reading with for the past year. The card was The Magician. Perhaps because this is a card whose meaning could be 'replaced' by others it did not matter? Perhaps none of the readings I gave needed the card?

I think that the crucial point may be whether we know or not?

If we find out that there are cards left in the box when we go to replace the deck after a reading, might we doubt that reading then? I think I would.

i knew someone that had a reading done with all 78 cards (that is something i would love to see)  so i guess that might just make a difference.   :smt016  

i pretty sure i cold still do a reading with cards missing but i do believe to that the feeling of lost would get in my way if i knew the cards were missing and that i am sure would get in the way because of my own negativity about losing them.   in theory i believe i could still read with cards missing if i could get past my own negativity.

:smt006
Common sense dictates there is no such thing as common sense.

zeldaevolution

Post by zeldaevolution » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:12 am

I just got the idea that there might be a meaning as to why the certain cards were lost from the owner... just I thought about...

Like, if I lost the Death card, would that mean that I have something in myself to change?
Or if it was the Seven of Swords, does it mean I'm running away from something?

Just something stroke me when I thought of losing one... I haven't got a deck yet though.. haha...
I'm still a kid when I reach my 40s, that's for sure.
I'm grown up when I'm 70, that's a bull's eye.
When I get to 120, it's probably that God will call me some time later... because he set up my bed for me ^__^

George

Post by George » Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:16 pm

zeldaevolution wrote:I just got the idea that there might be a meaning as to why the certain cards were lost from the owner... just I thought about...

Like, if I lost the Death card, would that mean that I have something in myself to change?
Or if it was the Seven of Swords, does it mean I'm running away from something?

Just something stroke me when I thought of losing one... I haven't got a deck yet though.. haha...
for sure a interesting thought  :smt016  if that was the case and the tarot cards did that on their own, that would be FREE WILL and a interesting new step to bonding to their partner's (owners)!   :smt004

buy yourself a deck tomorrow... if your don't years from now you might just regret that you didn't!   :smt002  :smt006

kybunker

Readings without the full deck

Post by kybunker » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:17 pm

You can read clouds in the sky if you wanted to, but yet not every cloud is manifested yet.
What is meant to be said and known, is,,,, what isn't meant to be said or known, isn't said.

For example:
If a pregnancy is suppose to happen (which I believe they all are) but it is not in the reading, perhaps,
If the client was to know about the pregnancy, their choice would have been to end it.
But yet, later in the years, that baby that was not aborted became the scientist that cured diabetes.

Our readings are guided, we aren't to know everything and what is to be known, will be regardless of how many cards are availilble.
Just my thoughts
New Thought At InnerFlow Connections!

cedars
Tarot reader

Post by cedars » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:19 pm

Hello Kybunker

Long time no see in the tarot forum!!!!!!!

Good to see you and some valid comments there.

kybunker

Cedars!

Post by kybunker » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:55 pm

YEY!!!!
Yes I'm Soo Glad to see you again!
It has been along time that I've been away!
I have defeated my challenge!
And I'm sooo glad to be back!
How's it been going in your neck of the woods!
New Thought At InnerFlow Connections!

cedars
Tarot reader

Post by cedars » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:28 pm

Going well here Ky, well indeed.

We miss people giving their inputs and it is so refreshing to see you back in these rooms.

Please stay on and enlighten us with your knowledge and insights :)

Return to “Tarot”