Upside down cards?

For Tarot discussions and general questions.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123, TarotModerator

Goddessgirl

Upside down cards?

Post by Goddessgirl » Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:39 pm

How  important are upside down cards in interpreting a tarot reading?

In learning the cards, I've been doing three-card readings and have usually affirmed that in my reading, the meaning of the cards will be the same regardless of whether they are rightside up, upside down or sideways.

What approaches do others take regarding upside down cards?

Thanks.

(Note to myself: This is my second-ever post. 248 to go?)

Rhutobello

Post by Rhutobello » Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:52 pm

Since this is a general Tarot question I will move it to General Tarot Forum.

If it had been a Tarot Reading Request then Tarot Reading Forum would be the right place.

General discussions are about subject that aren't a part of those trades listed here :)

Just for General information.

Payewacker

Post by Payewacker » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:49 pm

HI,

Firstly we don't refer to cards as "upside down". It just sounds better refering to them as "reversed".

Follow this link, and I have given a slight explanation on the significance of reversed cards:

docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AZyuZlzfve9GZGd0a3I2MzlfMTYyaGttMmpxZHM&hl=en

Therefore it truly depends upon you of how you want to read your cards, consider how you feel comfortable with.

Blessed be.

cedars
Tarot reader

Post by cedars » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:33 pm

Hello Goddessgirl

If you are new to tarot, then I suggest you do Upright cards only at first.
Or, as you have been doing, you can turn Reversed cards back to their Upright position and continue your reading. I know readers who ignore the Reversed card altogether.
There are tutors who say the Reversed meaning is the same but of a lesser energy than the Upright meaning.
There are tutors who see the Reversed card as a totally different meaning, thus instead of 78 meanings, you get 78x2 cards.

It depends how you believe the cards fall into place... If you believe it is the divine or spirit's 'arrangement' that the cards fall the way they do, then do you doubt that they would still show another card which is Upright and yet conveying the message the seeker needs to hear?

By the same token, if a Reversed card is absolutely necessary and there is no other card to convey that meaning or message, then I believe IT WILL BE REVERSED WHETHER WE LIKE IT OR NOT. This has happened to me in my readings.

I do not sit on the floor and spread my cards in such a messy way in order to intentionally create reversals; these can happen even when I am doing straightforward shuffling (especially of late). So, don't worry too much about reversals; just get to know your cards. Check their reversed feelings (meanings) too and familiarise yourself, but you do not have to create reversals by a shuffling the cards in a haphazard manner. If it is meant to be, it will be..

My penny's worth on reversals.

cas

Post by cas » Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:15 pm

I'm a self-taught Tarot reader, and I'm not as old or as experienced, but here is my take on reversals:

I have learned they can mean several things:
1 Completely opposite to upright meaning
2 Suppressed upright meaning
3 Just more/less "important"

Choosing which way to read them is your own personal decision, unless your deck specifically states to read them a certain way(even then, follow your gut).

As much as I'm sure cedars knows more than I do, if you want to learn reversals, I recommend starting to learn them now. Switching from reading only uprights to uprights and reversals just seems confusing to me. :] But, that's my take.

I'm not that great at explaining, but if you ever want or need a friend learning Tarot as well, please, let me know! C: I'm here to make friends after all.

George

Re: Upside down cards?

Post by George » Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:46 pm

Goddessgirl wrote:How  important are upside down cards in interpreting a tarot reading?

In learning the cards, I've been doing three-card readings and have usually affirmed that in my reading, the meaning of the cards will be the same regardless of whether they are rightside up, upside down or sideways.

What approaches do others take regarding upside down cards?

Thanks.

(Note to myself: This is my second-ever post. 248 to go?)
they are not important at all! if that is how you choose to read your cards.  at first reversed cards scared me and it seem way too much to even deal with 78 extra meanings, so i stop reading reverse altogether.  over the course of time and learning more and getting comfortable with my cards i find myself reading reverse meanings of the cards.  I tend to read them as the lesser or stronger degree of the upright meanings (what i see and feel from the cards at the time of the reading). i just let the ideal of "having to know more" scare me away from reading the cards as i see them sitting in front of me.  
good luck
l :smt006
Common sense dictates there is no such thing as common sense.

Return to “Tarot”