Are Mediums Born or Created?

Similar to the material in the Mediumship - Questions and Answers forum, but at a more advanced level.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

Omnicron Solaris

Are Mediums Born or Created?

Post by Omnicron Solaris » Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:27 am

I'd like to know the general opinion of some of the mediums post on this board.

Do you think that true mediums like (Mary Ellen Giley) are born?

Do you think it's possible for a person to learn how to be a medium when they are not psychic in the least? (like me)

Do you think that normal everyday people have the capacity to see and interact with spirits? If so should they?go

I'm very interested in hearing your responses! :smt020

spiritalk

Post by spiritalk » Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:34 pm

I don't know the person you reference, but the same applies to all.

We are all born with innate talents - including the psychic abilities.  They will be stronger in some than others.  And some will manifest them earlier than others.  Often the early bloomer does not stay the course for the lifetime.  And many have tried to ignore or otherwise dismiss the talents in favour of material living.

All mediums are psychic.  They open to these sensitivities first, before the contact with their spirit guides.  And all people are born with the capacity to be psychic.  Development can occur on the least talented and the manifestation will be according to their abilities to attune with spirit.  Patience is key.

The spirit realm is around and about us always, influencing us in many unseen ways.  We are spirit within and it is what is set free on the death of our physical body.  So to fear spirit is to dismiss a vital part of our own being.  

Mediumship is based on attunement of the spirit within (while yet in the physical body) and the spirit realms (of departed souls).  These spirits are your own loved ones, as well as loving guides who care enough to return to this world to aid the progress of fellow human beings.
God bless, J

Omnicron Solaris

That makes alot of sence

Post by Omnicron Solaris » Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:43 am

I was kind of expecting that answer. It goes back to the old saying that everyone can play the piano but very few people can be concert pianists.
But just to further our discussion I will take the position of the devils advocate:

It has been said by some religions that speaking to spirits is a bad thing.
Also just like people, there are not only good spirits but also deceptive and evil spirits.  How is a mortal like me and you to tell the difference?

spiritalk

Post by spiritalk » Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:38 pm

The spirit realms (afterlife) is considered to have 7 spheres.  The normal, good living human being goes to the 3rd on the death of the physical body.  That is because the first 2 are animalistic and uneducated (astral is a part of this atmosphere).  

The idea for a medium is to reach to the light of spiritual attainment (the 3rd sphere) while yet in the body.  That requires an attunement of spirit to spirit.  

There are tried and true methods and exercises for this purpose.  To open and randomly invite all and sundry into your mind is like opening your house and welcoming a thief.  The lower energies will use your energies, just a thief uses your goods.

When you reach the proper source (your own personal loving spirit guide) in partnership and love, you are working from a spiritual level.  Anything less is not acceptable.  Hence, the cautions, etc. around spirit guides.  Be sure who you partner up with for under the natural law (like to like - law of attraction) you will surely get what you ask for and deserve.
God bless, J

Doe

Post by Doe » Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:01 pm

I honestly have no idea whether it's possible for someone to "learn" to be able to see and communicate with spirits.  With me--as I've mentioned elsewhere here--it came out of the blue relatively late in my life (maybe it was latent all along, but it had never really occurred to me to try).  Once it does start, though, it's REALLY important to have good guidance and an open mind not encumbered with preconceived notions as to what it's all about, or how things work, or what the spirit world is really like.  You can read all you want about it, and you may get some helpful information from others who have experienced it, but I believe that the best way to learn is through your own experiences and the help of those in the spirit world who are willing to help you learn (and trying to sort out who is really there to help you, and who might be just "messing with you" is a challenge in itself!).

I have come to think that it's important for someone who's interested in trying to gain the ability to think very seriously about WHY they would like to be able to do it.  It's not something to be taken lightly, or pursued because one thinks it might be "fun", profitable, or just kinda cool.  There's a lot of responsibility that goes with it, and it's sometimes very much NOT fun, or cool.  It can be very sad and, if you're not used to to it,   frightening.  I believe that if you've been given the ability, it's so that you can help others with it--again, not to try to "see the future" with the help of the spirit world, or gain from it materially, etc.  Most of the spirits I talk to are the very lost, very frightened, and sometimes very angry souls of people who lived at one point just as we all do.  Trying to use them as props or ways to gain notoriety is insensitive and cruel; they need help as any desperate person does--given freely and with kindness and understanding.  If you can't do that, all the "mediumship skills" that you learn in the world will still likely end in failure, or disaster.

So that's my personal take on it.  Before a person starts trying to figure out the "how" of it, it's much more important to understand the "why", and if you're really prepared to treat it as a gift that you're willing to share with those who really need it, with no thought of any kind of reward.  Bottom line--what most of them need is love and understanding; ask yourself if you can offer that before anything else.

Doe

spiritalk

Post by spiritalk » Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:51 pm

Doe wrote:I honestly have no idea whether it's possible for someone to "learn" to be able to see and communicate with spirits.
J:  As carefully pointed out - all mediums are psychic - these abilities are available to all human beings.  Of course, they are stronger in some than others, of that there is no doubt, just like any talent or skill.  

With me--as I've mentioned elsewhere here--it came out of the blue relatively late in my life (maybe it was latent all along, but it had never really occurred to me to try).  Once it does start, though, it's REALLY important to have good guidance and an open mind not encumbered with preconceived notions as to what it's all about, or how things work, or what the spirit world is really like.  
J:  If you don't 'know' anything about it, you do the strange and dangerous before the tried and true of the talent.  That is leading someone who is very new astray.  Just because it opened for you, you have no means of finding out if it is good advice or not, because you are enamored with what comes.  (From your personal inspirations it is obvious)

The spirit world is welcomed and has written about what the spirit realms are like.  To ignore the good advice is to ignore who, what, where, why, how of mediumship.  Leading the newcomer in that direction is courting dangerous activities.

You can read all you want about it, and you may get some helpful information from others who have experienced it, but I believe that the best way to learn is through your own experiences and the help of those in the spirit world who are willing to help you learn (and trying to sort out who is really there to help you, and who might be just "messing with you" is a challenge in itself!).

J:  And that is what was advised in the first place.  Test the spirits.  Have good tried and true meditation methods to reach the highest possible source of light.  If they do not come in light, they do not come through a good medium.

I have come to think that it's important for someone who's interested in trying to gain the ability to think very seriously about WHY they would like to be able to do it.  It's not something to be taken lightly, or pursued because one thinks it might be "fun", profitable, or just kinda cool.  There's a lot of responsibility that goes with it, and it's sometimes very much NOT fun, or cool.  It can be very sad and, if you're not used to to it,   frightening.  

J:  Couldn't agree more that the importance of why is good.  Spirituality is the first step in spiritual mediumship.  The more you understand your own spirituality, the more it will be a spiritual exercise.  This, too, comes with opening to caring, loving spirit guides - not just anyone who has not elevated themselves but comes back to guide the gullible.

I believe that if you've been given the ability, it's so that you can help others with it--again, not to try to "see the future" with the help of the spirit world, or gain from it materially, etc.

J:  That is surely a commendable activity.  But as spirit realms have some idea of the projects they wish to do with spirit helping earth dwellers, we need to be open to their purposes and agendas as well.  We all have free will to choose whether the project suits our lives or not.  Many people struggle with their spirit guidance long and hard before commiting their talents and abilities to spirit's agenda. 

Most of the spirits I talk to are the very lost, very frightened, and sometimes very angry souls of people who lived at one point just as we all do.  Trying to use them as props or ways to gain notoriety is insensitive and cruel; they need help as any desperate person does--given freely and with kindness and understanding.  If you can't do that, all the "mediumship skills" that you learn in the world will still likely end in failure, or disaster.

J:  Quite frankly 'lost' 'frightened' and 'stuck' spirit is a job for someone who knows what they are doing.  NEVER attune to their energy.  Attune only to a supportive spirit guide who is there to work on this purpose.  You have been extremely lucky as God truly loves and shields the blind.

So that's my personal take on it.  Before a person starts trying to figure out the "how" of it, it's much more important to understand the "why", and if you're really prepared to treat it as a gift that you're willing to share with those who really need it, with no thought of any kind of reward.  Bottom line--what most of them need is love and understanding; ask yourself if you can offer that before anything else.

J:  This is truly another judgemental statement of to charge or not.  Many people give up their entire life and career to follow spirit.  The income they need to live has to come from somewhere.  To charge for services rendered in a world of exchange is never out of place.  Those who over charge will get what they deserve in the end and it won't be pretty.  But that is in God's hands, not any self appointed judge on earth.

Doe

This site is for teaching good mediumship skills to keep the seeker safe and protected in an unseen world.  To offer such advice is out of line with the course being offered.  Perhaps you could set up your own course at the Mystic Academy?

God bless, J

Crow

Post by Crow » Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:49 pm

spiritalk wrote:
Doe wrote:I honestly have no idea whether it's possible for someone to "learn" to be able to see and communicate with spirits.
J:  As carefully pointed out - all mediums are psychic - these abilities are available to all human beings.  Of course, they are stronger in some than others, of that there is no doubt, just like any talent or skill.  

With me--as I've mentioned elsewhere here--it came out of the blue relatively late in my life (maybe it was latent all along, but it had never really occurred to me to try).  Once it does start, though, it's REALLY important to have good guidance and an open mind not encumbered with preconceived notions as to what it's all about, or how things work, or what the spirit world is really like.  
J:  If you don't 'know' anything about it, you do the strange and dangerous before the tried and true of the talent.  That is leading someone who is very new astray.  Just because it opened for you, you have no means of finding out if it is good advice or not, because you are enamored with what comes.  (From your personal inspirations it is obvious)

The spirit world is welcomed and has written about what the spirit realms are like.  To ignore the good advice is to ignore who, what, where, why, how of mediumship.  Leading the newcomer in that direction is courting dangerous activities.

You can read all you want about it, and you may get some helpful information from others who have experienced it, but I believe that the best way to learn is through your own experiences and the help of those in the spirit world who are willing to help you learn (and trying to sort out who is really there to help you, and who might be just "messing with you" is a challenge in itself!).

J:  And that is what was advised in the first place.  Test the spirits.  Have good tried and true meditation methods to reach the highest possible source of light.  If they do not come in light, they do not come through a good medium.

I have come to think that it's important for someone who's interested in trying to gain the ability to think very seriously about WHY they would like to be able to do it.  It's not something to be taken lightly, or pursued because one thinks it might be "fun", profitable, or just kinda cool.  There's a lot of responsibility that goes with it, and it's sometimes very much NOT fun, or cool.  It can be very sad and, if you're not used to to it,   frightening.  

J:  Couldn't agree more that the importance of why is good.  Spirituality is the first step in spiritual mediumship.  The more you understand your own spirituality, the more it will be a spiritual exercise.  This, too, comes with opening to caring, loving spirit guides - not just anyone who has not elevated themselves but comes back to guide the gullible.

I believe that if you've been given the ability, it's so that you can help others with it--again, not to try to "see the future" with the help of the spirit world, or gain from it materially, etc.

J:  That is surely a commendable activity.  But as spirit realms have some idea of the projects they wish to do with spirit helping earth dwellers, we need to be open to their purposes and agendas as well.  We all have free will to choose whether the project suits our lives or not.  Many people struggle with their spirit guidance long and hard before commiting their talents and abilities to spirit's agenda. 

Most of the spirits I talk to are the very lost, very frightened, and sometimes very angry souls of people who lived at one point just as we all do.  Trying to use them as props or ways to gain notoriety is insensitive and cruel; they need help as any desperate person does--given freely and with kindness and understanding.  If you can't do that, all the "mediumship skills" that you learn in the world will still likely end in failure, or disaster.

J:  Quite frankly 'lost' 'frightened' and 'stuck' spirit is a job for someone who knows what they are doing.  NEVER attune to their energy.  Attune only to a supportive spirit guide who is there to work on this purpose.  You have been extremely lucky as God truly loves and shields the blind.

J:  This is truly another judgemental statement of to charge or not.  Many people give up their entire life and career to follow spirit.  The income they need to live has to come from somewhere.  To charge for services rendered in a world of exchange is never out of place.  Those who over charge will get what they deserve in the end and it won't be pretty.  But that is in God's hands, not any self appointed judge on earth.

Doe

This site is for teaching good mediumship skills to keep the seeker safe and protected in an unseen world.  To offer such advice is out of line with the course being offered.  Perhaps you could set up your own course at the Mystic Academy?

Ouch! This hurts me to read. Why all this????  Are we not hear to share and learn from our own experience?  Are we not all teacher and student?  If you both were to set up your own courses I would attend both!  And filter from it what I wish to.  I respect and love to read both of your posts.  I have learned from both of you.  And look forward to more.

Safe Journey

spiritalk

Post by spiritalk » Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:05 pm

When a message begins - I don't know much - and then goes on for several paragraphs - I have to wonder.  What is the advice about?

As to the ouch!  I have tried in other ways to get the message through and it is just 'stuck' in someone thinking they have free reign.  Did you check out the Tarot workshop?  Is anyone entitled to go in and challenge and dismiss the teacher as has been so frequently done here?  Perhaps it is just the topic - but that is what I was here to do.

Many people learn different ways.  But I have seen the route of those who take on board all and sundry where mediumship is involved.  It isn't always pretty to watch.  That is why I drew up and posted GOOD mediumship advice.  And why I claim tried and true methods - because they are.  For exercises and methods that are not posted we go further.  But experimenting with anyone who wants to post - I don't know, but - then you are in for a rocky road.
God bless, J

Jolyn Woods

Post by Jolyn Woods » Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:49 pm

I have always felt the prickling goosebumps when I am not alone, but thought I was alone. Or walking into a place I have never been before. But I really didn't pay much attention to it. I would pass it off as being cold or a cold draft. I think I was just pushing it back because I was afraid to deal with it.

But now that I am older and more mature, well sometimes more mature, LOL, I take it seriously.
JOLYN

spiritalk

Post by spiritalk » Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:32 pm

Jolyn:  Interesting point.  When we are living in the spirit form we tend to react on the nervous system (emotional) part of the physical body.  Many a practicing psychic or medium will tell of the physical signs that signal a true message from the spirit.
God bless, J

Jolyn Woods

Post by Jolyn Woods » Sat Nov 01, 2008 4:21 pm

That is very true. I don't take anything for granted now!
JOLYN

mystic67

Post by mystic67 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:18 pm

I am not sure if I believe we can be taught to see spirits. I think we all posess differant ways of commuinicating with
spirit, some have stronger senses in seeing or hearing etc,  I have only seen a few spirits, but I have felt many.

I am intersted in learning more, but I have to agree with the teacher here. Why do we want to learn more and
get better at communicating with spirits. Thats a question I need to ask myself. Is it the fact that maybe I do
still feel the need for validation that the soul continues on after death? I really don't know for sure. I certainly
have always felt that was the case, but I am curious. Do we want to use this talent to help others get over grief
etc. I like the fact that you brought that question up. I think so many times we just want to because we think it
would be neat to experience, and you know I don't know if thats a good reason! Thinking on that one.

Donna

spiritalk

Post by spiritalk » Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:15 pm

When we do learn to commune (using any of the senses) with spirit, we find that teachers step in and you learn so much about life and other people that would not be available in the material existence.  It is just a spirit way to live.  

And, of course, once open, it would be very difficult to go back to the mundane, when the supreme has been opened.
God bless, J

ravenuriel

Post by ravenuriel » Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:50 am

wow..

alot of good information and I agree with Crow.. everyone is a teacher in their own way.. just by sharing what information they have
When I think of a teacher I do not look at the title they try to carry I look at how they offer help and knowledge to those who seek it.. are they greedy or do they offer it freely.

anyway.. you can learn to be medium
you can learn all the psychic gifts and dont let someone tell you differently
you just need to find the right person to teach you, someone you can relate to.
I myself have a mediumship coach and she rocks.. I actually had a visit
yesterday while talking with her and she being the gifted woman she is was able to see who it was that was trying to talk to me and helped me with the information transfer.

now ppl will say that things can not be done or .. oh dear you cant do that..
but this is  only because they have limited themselves  
Tibetan monks can see air.

some Japanese can walk across drums covered in rice paper without breaking it.. and the list goes on.

never under estimate your own potential!  Study and practice!

love and light
RavenUriel~
The lips of wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.~ The Kybalion~

spiritalk

Post by spiritalk » Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:51 pm

On the one hand you wanted it given away, on the other you have someone who is willing to attune for you.  Then you say we are all teachers.  

Perhaps we want to consider that those with experience have earned the right to be called teacher.  Others have experimented and perhaps gotten some results.  But do they know the consequences?  Have they been able to help aid the student when they get a problem?  

Perhaps we want to respect our teachers and not open to every idea - the good, the bad, the ugly - and call it teaching?
God bless, J

Return to “Mediumship Understanding and Development”