Lesson 12: Panchaanga.

This is the main Vedic Astrology Learning Forum. General Vedic Astrology lessons and questions and answers can be addressed here.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123, RishiRahul, vivekvshetty

vivekvshetty

Post by vivekvshetty » Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:32 pm

Namaskaar Raman ji,
Twelve = twelve Raashis.

RishiRahul and vivek.
Raman Deep Singh wrote:
Let us calculate the tithi for the example horoscope given.
Longitude of Surya = 20 deg 38 minutes in Makara.
Longitude of Chandra = 29 degrees and 5 minutes in Meena.

Chandra = 359 deg  5 min
        minus    Surya= 290 deg 38 min
          gives us            68 deg 27 min

Divide this by 12 we get a quoteint of 5 and remainder 8 deg 27 min.
Which means 5 tithis are over and the sixth is progressing.
So we get the birth tithi to be Shashthi in Shukla Paksha.
Now does the Divisor (Twelve) ring a bell?
Can someone guess or Does anyone know what it means.
Reply ASAP.
RishiRahul and vivek.

Dear Vivek ji,

Its a late reply to your question but just thought of giving it also a try since i am trying to answer to your last asked question in this course...

12 is used to divide to calculate how many Tithis have already passed coz each tithi is equal to 12 degrees..Thus when u divide it by difference of sun and moon we come to know their distane and when divide difference by 12 we come to know how many tithis thus how many degrees has already been covered.

I hope i didnt let you down this time....:-)

Regards,
Raman

Raman Deep Singh

Post by Raman Deep Singh » Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:48 pm

Dear Vivek ji,
Previously i also thought that it shud be 12 Raashi but later i relaised
since moon is 180 degree i.e. 6 signs away from sun then it is either half or starting of Lunar month depending upon which lunar months we consider....and paksha of moon changes whgen it covers 6 signs....

But when i saw the whole calculation i thought it was more related to degree of tithiss...rather than raashi..

I can understand your answer in case you r talking why we consider tithi to be 12 degree.....

Regards,
Raman

vivekvshetty

Post by vivekvshetty » Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:29 pm

Raman Deep Singh wrote:Dear Vivek ji,
Previously i also thought that it shud be 12 Raashi but later i relaised
since moon is 180 degree i.e. 6 signs away from sun then it is either half or starting of Lunar month depending upon which lunar months we consider....and paksha of moon changes whgen it covers 6 signs....

But when i saw the whole calculation i thought it was more related to degree of tithiss...rather than raashi..

I can understand your answer in case you r talking why we consider tithi to be 12 degree.....

Regards,
Raman
We were talking about the measure of a Tithi only.
This means each degree difference in a Tithi can be taken to be a Raashi.
This is a simple way of explaining. Actually the starting and the ending time of a Tithi is noted and the difference calculated. Jhora gives this as the percentage remaining. From this we calculate.

Steps:
The span of a Tithi is calculated in HH:MM:SS. say this to be 'A'.
THe span from the start of the Tithi and birth is also likewise found. say 'B'.
now A divided by twelve is 'X'.
Then 'B' is divided by 'X'. The quotient plus one represents a Raashi. say if the quotient is five, then five plus one is six. Sixth Raashi is Kanyaa and this Raashi in the Raashi chart will show a lot about the purpose of creation of the native.
RishiRahul and vivek

gaonkarswapnil

Query

Post by gaonkarswapnil » Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:57 pm

Dear Vivekji Rahulji

Gone thru the post many doubts in my mind i had are cleared will have to read it many times to understand fully

A small question dont know is it worth to ask, what does the percentage left are mentioned in the brackets sure it must have some meaning , Eg is mentioned below

Lunar Yr-Mo:   Parthiva - Magha
Tithi:         Sukla Shashthi (Sk) (29.66% left)
Vedic Weekday: Friday (Sk)
Nakshatra:     Revati (Bu) (6.89% left)
Yoga:          Sadhya (Sk) (27.08% left)
Karana:        Taitula (Bu) (59.32% left)
Hora Lord:     Guru (5 min sign: Simh)

Regards

swapnil
Swapnil from mumbai looking for future

Raman Deep Singh

Post by Raman Deep Singh » Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:20 am

Gandaanta Dosha.
Gandaanta means an evil junction.

Gandaanta is the junction of the Water (Jala Raashi) and fire (Agni Raashis).
The two Tatvas – Water and Fire are inimical to each other and hence births during this period suffer from a Tatva Dosha.
This not only applies to Chandra but also to Lagna if it so placed.

There are three such junctions.
The Junction of Karka and Simha. The last Pada of Aashlesha and first pada of Makhaa.

The junction of Vrischika and Dhanu. The last Pada of Jyestha and the first pada of Moola.

The Junction of Meena and Mesha . The Last Pada of Revati and the first Pada of Ashwini.

Birth during these padas are said to suffer from this Dosha.
Amongst these three, birth between Meena and Mesha Gandaanta is called Swa (Self) Gandaanta. This is of least intensity.
Birth during Kark and Simha Gandaanta is called Maatri (Mother) Gandaanta. This is of middling intensity.
Birth during Vrischika and Dhanu Gandaanta is called Piri (Father) Gandaanta this is of the most intensity. The reason for this is that the deities of these two Nakshatras are Indra (for Jyestha) and Nirriti (for Moola). Indra is a Deva (God) and Nirriti is a Raakshsa (Demon) and in Vedic Mythology these two are always fighting each other. This Gandaantar Dosha is discussed in great detail in the classical texts and the students are advised to read more about it.

The example chart given previously has Chandra placed in the Last Pada of Revati and hence the Horoscope suffers from Gandaantar dosha.
Dear Vivek ji and Rishirahul ji,
You have not mentioned what are the effects of Gandanta Dosha.
The afflicted palnets will give what type of effects...
Can you kindly explain it.

Recently i have seen a chart with almost 3 planets suffereing from this dosha.Thats why this came to my mind..

What effect given by these afflicted planet makes their effect different from effect given by natural malefic planet.

I hope im able to get my question across ..My conceren is understanding actual effect of this dosha and its idiosyncrasy.
Regards,
Raman

Raman Deep Singh

Post by Raman Deep Singh » Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:02 am

Dear swapnil ji,
It seems vivek ji and Rishirahul ji are bit busy.so i just thought to help you out with your question.
I hope Vivek ji and Rishirahul ji wont mind it.

I will try to explain it with an example:-
Take  Tithi:         Sukla Shashthi (Sk) (29.66% left)

Since each tithi = 12 degrees.
12 degree = 100%
thus 1 Degree = 100/12 = 8.33%(approx)

As it is mentioned :- Tithi:  Sukla Shashthi (Sk) (29.66% left)
thus it means
(29.66)*1 degree = 8.33*29.66/100=2.47degree
has been passed

Thus we can make out that in Tithi:Sukla Shashti out of 12 degrees approximately 2.47 degree has already been covered and thus around 9.5 degrees is left..

Similarly you can do with other data provided.Like More the percentage of nakshtra is left , thus less percentage of nakshatra is covered by moon thus more percentage we r left with And RESULT more dasa of lord
of that nakshatra we will get...

I hope i was able to help you in understanding...

Regards,
Raman

vivekvshetty

Post by vivekvshetty » Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:25 pm

Namaskaar Ramanji and Swapnil ji,
I was a pleasant surprise and something we always wanted to happen in this learning forum. Learners interacting and trying to share their understanding and knowledge. We were sure Raman ji will take the lead in this also. May be other silent ones will also start speaking. We think more than a year old ones also start to express themselves.
Coming to the explanation though the gist was right the Maths was not. Some rechecking is required we feel.

RishiRahul and vivek.
Raman Deep Singh wrote:Dear swapnil ji,
It seems vivek ji and Rishirahul ji are bit busy.so i just thought to help you out with your question.

12 degree = 100%

thus it means
has been passed

Thus we can make out that in Tithi:Sukla Shashti out of 12 degrees approximately 2.47 degree has already been covered and thus around 9.5 degrees is left..

Similarly you can do with other data provided.Like More the percentage of nakshtra is left , thus less percentage of nakshatra is covered by moon thus more percentage we r left with And RESULT more dasa of lord

Regards,
Raman

vivekvshetty

Post by vivekvshetty » Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:10 pm

Namaskaar Raman ji,
These junctions come under the Dosha (flaw) criteria because of three reasons.
First it is the Junction of two Elements very inimical to each other. If these two elements (Tatva) come together one will come out a winner. The Tatva philosophy is one of the six systems of Philosophy of Satya Sanaatana understanding and is known as the Sankhya Shaastra. It is beyond the purview of this course and hence the learner has to do some self study on this.
Second it is the junction of the ending of a Nakshatra cycle and the beginning of a new one -  The Sandhii of the natural Navataara chakra.
These are the Junctions of the three Vyaahrithis or the three worlds, BHU, BHUVA AND SWAHA.
Thirdly (this applies only for Jyestha/moola Sandhi) this is the start of another Zodiac (a hidden one) in the reverse. In addition to the enemity between the lords (Devatas) of the Nakshatras involved.

The specific results are for you to look up in the classics.
If you or anyone is unable to do so please inform us and we will give our understanding and share some knowledge we acquired from our teachers.
Raman ji, very deep secrets are hidden in this.

RishiRahul and vivek

Raman Deep Singh wrote:
Gandaanta Dosha.

The two Tatvas – Water and Fire are inimical to each other and hence births during this period suffer from a Tatva Dosha.

The Junction of Karka and Simha. The last Pada of Aashlesha and first pada of Makhaa.

The junction of Vrischika and Dhanu. The last Pada of Jyestha and the first pada of Moola.

The Junction of Meena and Mesha . The Last Pada of Revati and the first Pada of Ashwini.

Birth during these padas are said to suffer from this Dosha.
Amongst these three, birth between Meena and Mesha Gandaanta is called Swa (Self) Gandaanta. This is of least intensity.
Birth during Kark and Simha Gandaanta is called Maatri (Mother) Gandaanta. This is of middling intensity.
Birth during Vrischika and Dhanu Gandaanta is called Piri (Father) Gandaanta this is of the most intensity. The reason for this is that the deities of these two Nakshatras are Indra (for Jyestha) and Nirriti (for Moola). Indra is a Deva (God) and Nirriti is a Raakshsa (Demon) and in Vedic Mythology these two are always fighting each other. This Gandaantar Dosha is discussed in great detail in the classical texts and the students are advised to read more about it.

The example chart given previously has Chandra placed in the Last Pada of Revati and hence the Horoscope suffers from Gandaantar dosha.
Dear Vivek ji and Rishirahul ji,
You have not mentioned what are the effects of Gandanta Dosha.
The afflicted palnets will give what type of effects...
Can you kindly explain it.

Recently i have seen a chart with almost 3 planets suffereing from this dosha.Thats why this came to my mind..

What effect given by these afflicted planet makes their effect different from effect given by natural malefic planet.

I hope im able to get my question across ..My conceren is understanding actual effect of this dosha and its idiosyncrasy.
Regards,
Raman

Raman Deep Singh

Post by Raman Deep Singh » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:55 am

Dear vivek ji,
Thank you for appreciation and ya i made a silly mistake.
Since 29.66% is left thus lower degree is left thus around 2.47 degree(approx)is LEFT rather than 2.47 PASSED.

Swapnil ji please have a look again.

Regards,
Raman
Dear swapnil ji,

12 degree = 100%

thus it means
has been passed

Regards,
Raman

vivekvshetty

Our reply.

Post by vivekvshetty » Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:21 pm

Namaskaar Swapnil ji,
Raman ji has already answered your query but we thought it would be for the benefit of everyone if we also add to it.

The Jhora give the percentage of time remaining for a panchaanga limb to end and the next to take its place.
In Jhora click on the miscellany tab and in it click the panchanga tab. You will get the panchangas for the date, time and place the chart is made.
For example see todays Panchaangas: The Tithi Krishna Pratipadaa starts at 1:31 am and will end at 22:41, which means the Tithi will be of 21 hrs and 10 min duration.
Right now the time is 20:38 so you have to minus the time of the Tithi starting time
which is 1Hrs 31 minutes from the time now (epoch) which is 20:38, doing little maths we get
19 hrs and 7 minutes.

in simple words it means that the Tithi is from 1:31 am till 22:41 and at the time of epoch the Tithi had already progressed for 19:07.
The span of the Tithi was 21:38. so if you minus the elapsed time (19:07) from this you will get the Time still remaining for the Tithi to end. Which in this case is 02:03. Jhora gives this in percentage.

So 21:38 is 100% therefore 02:03 = ?

Some maths but for those with Ketu in Trines in their Navaamsha Kundali it is easy.  

RishiRahul and vivek

gaonkarswapnil

Re: Our reply.

Post by gaonkarswapnil » Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:36 am

vivekvshetty wrote:Namaskaar Swapnil ji,
Raman ji has already answered your query but we thought it would be for the benefit of everyone if we also add to it.

The Jhora give the percentage of time remaining for a panchaanga limb to end and the next to take its place.
In Jhora click on the miscellany tab and in it click the panchanga tab. You will get the panchangas for the date, time and place the chart is made.
For example see todays Panchaangas: The Tithi Krishna Pratipadaa starts at 1:31 am and will end at 22:41, which means the Tithi will be of 21 hrs and 10 min duration.
Right now the time is 20:38 so you have to minus the time of the Tithi starting time
which is 1Hrs 31 minutes from the time now (epoch) which is 20:38, doing little maths we get
19 hrs and 7 minutes.

in simple words it means that the Tithi is from 1:31 am till 22:41 and at the time of epoch the Tithi had already progressed for 19:07.
The span of the Tithi was 21:38. so if you minus the elapsed time (19:07) from this you will get the Time still remaining for the Tithi to end. Which in this case is 02:03. Jhora gives this in percentage.

So 21:38 is 100% therefore 02:03 = ?

Some maths but for those with Ketu in Trines in their Navaamsha Kundali it is easy.  

RishiRahul and vivek
Dear Vivek ji

I understood the explanation

Would like to ask does it has any other purpose than to show the balance tithi left when the native was born

I mean effect on the native if the balance of thithi is more or very less

For eg i take today's Eg

krishna chaturthi 16:29 to next  day 13:27

total tithi is of 20.58 hrs

so a person born at 17th oct 2008 at 19:30 will have approx near to 100% balance of thiti and another 18th oct 2008 at 13:26 will have near to 0% balance of thiti

So two natives born in same thiti of moon then do waning moon will have different effect on individual (I mean effect only with respect to moons thiti )

regards

Swapnil

vivekvshetty

Re: Our reply.

Post by vivekvshetty » Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:05 pm

Namaskaar Swapnil ji,
we think you have understood to an extent.
As for the use of this percentage for Horoscopy. We think you missed this post of ours. We copy it for your benefit.
------------------------------------------------------
We were talking about the measure of a Tithi only.
This means each degree difference in a Tithi can be taken to be a Raashi.
This is a simple way of explaining. Actually the starting and the ending time of a Tithi is noted and the difference calculated. Jhora gives this as the percentage remaining. From this we calculate.

Steps:
The span of a Tithi is calculated in HH:MM:SS. say this to be 'A'.
THe span from the start of the Tithi and birth is also likewise found. say 'B'.
now A divided by twelve is 'X'.
Then 'B' is divided by 'X'. The quotient plus one represents a Raashi. say if the quotient is five, then five plus one is six. Sixth Raashi is Kanyaa and this Raashi in the Raashi chart will show a lot about the purpose of creation of the native.
------------------------------
Let us take a n example and work it out.
The data on which we work:
Untitled

Natal Chart

Date:          October 18, 2008
Time:          20:59:43
Time Zone:     5:30:00 (East of GMT)
Place:         72 E 51' 00", 19 N 02' 00"
              Mumbai , India
Altitude:      0.00 meters

Lunar Yr-Mo:   Sarva-dhari - Aswayuja
Tithi:         Krishna Panchami (Gu) (64.35% left)
Vedic Weekday: Saturday (Sa)
Nakshatra:     Mrigasira (Ma) (95.50% left)
Yoga:          Variyan (Gu) (33.09% left)
Karana:        Kaulava (Ma) (28.69% left)
Hora Lord:     Sani (5 min sign: Mith)
Mahakala Hora: Sani (5 min sign: Vrish)
Kaala Lord:    Guru (Mahakala: Guru)

Sunrise:       6:33:44
Sunset:        18:13:25
Janma Ghatis:  36.0823

Ayanamsa:      23-58-48.05
Sidereal Time: 22:11:05

BTW we hope everyone on this course knows the basic details required for casting a Chart.
They are:
DOB, TOB, POB and SON.
DOB means Date of birth given as DDMMYYYY.
In some countries they follow MMDDYYYY.
This causes confusion as different countries follow different system of writing dates. So it is always better to know the name of the month of birth or epoch.
TOB means the time of birth as HHMMSS in the 24 hrs format. It should be clarified from the native as to whether this is Standard time or local time or universal time. Even here confusion arises as some countries are vast and tend to have different Standard time for different places.
Secondly there are summer time or Day light saving time. During this time the clock is advanced by one hour or so.
During world war the clock was advanced by one hour in many countries. If the birth is during the WW2 it is always better to cross check.
Plus in a Country like India where the normal practice is to take the start of a day from Sunrise, if the birth was before Sunrise (specially just after midnight) the Date noted will be of the previous day. This is very tricky and we have come across many cases like this.
The most important consideration is that almost no time given is accurate. They are just approximations and sometimes based on very vague memories. Plus add to this that there are many definitions of Birth time. Many different Authorities (both contemporary and ancient) give different definitions of it.
(Who said a Jyotishis job was an easy one?)

POB means place of birth, if it is in a village then the nearest town is taken. Be careful with softwares having inbuilt Atlases. many towns carry similar names but are far apart geographically.

SON means the sex of the native. There are many rules for finding sex of a horoscope but it is doubtful and no fool proof method exists. It is better to know before hand.
We are sorry for digressing, let us get back to our example.
The balance of Tithi given is 64.35%
So 100 minus 64.35 is equal to 35.65.
We know the whole span of the Tithi is divided into 12 Raashis.
Therefore 100/12= 8.33333333...............
for simplicity we take this as 8.33.
Dividing the passed span of Tithi, (which is 35.65 in this case) by 8.33 we get 4.278, This means four Raashis has passed and the Fifth Raashi is the Raashi current. The fifth raashi is Simha.
Now in this Horoscope Simha is the raashi which shows the purpose of the incarnation of the native.

Hope we have made it clear for now.
RishiRahul and vivek
gaonkarswapnil wrote:
Dear Vivek ji

I understood the explanation

Would like to ask does it has any other purpose than to show the balance tithi left when the native was born

I mean effect on the native if the balance of thithi is more or very less

For eg i take today's Eg

krishna chaturthi 16:29 to next  day 13:27

total tithi is of 20.58 hrs

so a person born at 17th oct 2008 at 19:30 will have approx near to 100% balance of thiti and another 18th oct 2008 at 13:26 will have near to 0% balance of thiti

So two natives born in same thiti of moon then do waning moon will have different effect on individual (I mean effect only with respect to moons thiti )

regards

Swapnil

Raman Deep Singh

Post by Raman Deep Singh » Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:53 pm

Gandaanta Dosha.

Dear Vivek ji,
Some how i have got stuck to this topic.I am still not able to digest or shud i say grasp it fully.I am finding some more or crucial information about this dosha missing...dont know what but i feel something more about this topic need to understood to understand this dosha...

Some people also call this Gand Moola Dosha..Y only moola Nakshatra is considered to give name to this dosha..

My understanding says since mula is last part of most inmical junction of raashis i.e. scorio and  Saggi. thus its considered for naming purpose but i dont find this strong enough reason for naming...

i will reply to your previously asked questions in somtime..

Please guide..
Regards,
Raman

gaonkarswapnil

Incarnation

Post by gaonkarswapnil » Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:17 pm

Dear Vivek ji

As you have explained the method of calculation for the the thithi so it is clear that this leads to know rashi which is going on and that is the purpose of the native for the incarnation. Does this has any more meaning too?

So sir i request you as there are 12 rashis to kindly enlighten us the purpose of native for incarination for different rashis

Regards

Swapnil

vivekvshetty

Re: Incarnation

Post by vivekvshetty » Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:31 pm

Namaskaar Swapnil ji,
Tithi is a measure of the interaction of the two luminaries, These two represent the Male and female principle interacting to create. The creation of a native is also because of this. Every event in this world has a purpose (micro as well as macro).
The Raashi which shows this has to be judged as to the Bhaava it occupies from Lagna. Grahas conjoining this raashi, the lord of the Raashi etc. It is a composite reading.
 This Raashi has an important role to play in remedial measures also (this is beyond the scope of this course for now).
The reason given above shows the importance of Tithi in judging the Married life aspect in the Kundali. The placement of the Tithi lord is an  important factor in judging the basic complain the spouse will have against the native.

RishiRahul and vivek.
gaonkarswapnil wrote:Dear Vivek ji

As you have explained the method of calculation for the the thithi so it is clear that this leads to know rashi which is going on and that is the purpose of the native for the incarnation. Does this has any more meaning too?

So sir i request you as there are 12 rashis to kindly enlighten us the purpose of native for incarination for different rashis

Regards

Swapnil

Return to “Learn Vedic Astrology”